Sunday, November 9, 2008

Rebel Without a Plause

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Working some overtime last night for a different department in the company...and it was pretty cool. It was good, hard work in an area that I had absolutely no experience whatsoever...but with my outstanding work ethic, keen sense of direction, and amazing charm, I was able to pull it off and get kudos from the managers of the other department. I also found out that apparently they make more money than me in that department...so we'll see how that goes...but I like my current job right now...and they may be pulling my leg. Some people do that...especially to the new kid. By the way, I tell people that I've been working with the company for over a decade...and they look at me like, "What? You've been with the company since you were ten years old or something?" "No, I'm 27." "Get the f**k out!!! Really? I swear I thought you were maybe 21." "It's okay, people have thought I was 21 since I was 15...and not much has changed." By the way, took a "What's Your Real Age" test thing on Facebook...and apparently I'm really six years old. I know you are...but what am I? Anyway, today's been laundry, grocery shopping, and football...so here's some news...

Plausible Sci-Fi Movies - I read an article the other day about science fiction movies that are really plausible...if not already well on their way to becoming reality. Now, a lot of sci-fi movies are purely fantastic...like just about everything to do with Star Wars & Star Trek...but here are some movies that they mentioned as plausible...and some of my thoughts on them...as well as a few others I'm gonna throw in...because as both a science & movie nerd, I feel I have the right.

  1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - It's no accident that the classic sci-fi film 2001 was rooted in good science, having sprung from the mind of the late, great Arthur C. Clarke. Clarke's background in science informed and inspired the setting in 2001, describing geosynchronous satellites, artificial intelligence, and commercial space travel. Clarke lived long enough to see the satellites he envisioned actually put into orbit, and in the deserts of New Mexico, a "spaceport" is planned that will allow paying passengers to see our pale blue dot from near space. For those of you who haven't seen this Stanley Kubrick masterpiece, you should check it out. Like most Kubrick, it's about three hours long and slow at points...but it really adds to the atmosphere of being alone...in space...with a computer system running your world. Creepy...and state of the art CGI (for forty years ago) and I'm a little disappointed that the real 2001 wasn't quite the same way...but they may have only been off by a few digits. 2010 maybe?
  2. The Truman Show (1998) - It's hard for many young people to remember, but there was a time before the 24-hour news feed and the reality TV craze. The Truman Show, starring Jim Carrey as the unwitting star of a voyeuristic television show watched by billions around the planet, foretold the coming of America's weekly entertainment. Not only was close, continuous surveillance plausible, it already exists in current hits like Big Brother and Survivor. When this movie first came out, I thought that this was EXACTLY what was going to happen (and sometimes think that I'm being watched...but that's just the REAL Big Brother) but it's a great movie...as I've reviewed and commented on before.
  3. Gattaca (1997) - In the not-too-distant future world of Gattaca, children's genes are pre-selected by their upper-class parents for the best traits; those babies whose genes are imperfect are treated as second-class citizens. Today DNA analysis is common, and several companies offer genetic testing for as little as a few hundred dollars. Genetic profiling? Health insurance companies potentially denying claims based on genetic predisposition to a disease? For many, this fear is not science fiction but science fact. As more is found out, I'm pretty sure that this is a prophetic tale. Honestly, if you were going to have children...and could predetermine that they wouldn't be autistic, diabetic, free of heart problems, lung problems, developmental problems, stuff like that, wouldn't you do it? Now how about acne problems, skin conditions, pigmentation, vision problems, maybe a little on the short side, obesity, history of balding, anything like that? Where would you draw the line...or would you? We all want what's best for our offspring. It's natural...even if the means isn't exactly natural. Anyway, keep an eye on your local science report...or my blog. I'm really interested by this kind of stuff...both scientifically and from a sociological & psychological perspective. Like I said, I'm a nerd.
  4. Iron Man (2008) - Marvel Comics hero Tony Stark is a genius inventor whose suit of armor-basically a souped-up mechanical exoskeleton run by computers-is probably more scientifically plausible than most superheroes. Though Iron Man's nifty gadgets, including his handy laser repulsors and jet boots, remain science fiction, in many cases the underlying scientific principles are sound. Practical problems, such as the suit's cost and weight, would make a real Iron Man unlikely...at this point. For anybody who watches Futureweapons on the Discovery Channel though, it's again only a matter of time...and they're actually doing pretty good. Now it's just a matter of getting the costs down and working out the kinks.
  5. Jurassic Park (1993) - Part of what made the late author Michael Crichton an enormously popular writer was his ability to extrapolate current science technology. Science fiction has always been about "What if?", and few modern authors blended science fact with science fiction so successfully. Though scientists are a long way off from cloning dinosaurs-they haven't gone much past Dolly the cloned sheep-the scientific fundamentals are there. By the end of the century, real cloned dinos might just be chasing down tourists! Really, the main reason that they haven't done it yet (allegedly) is because of all the fuss & protest about stem cell research and the same problems brought up by the Gattaca scenario and exploiting the human gene. I'm waiting to see this new theme park on Isla Nublar or wherever it was pretty soon though. You know me. I'm a super dino geek. If being an archelogist paid well, you may be talking to another kind of Dr. Mookie Love, digger of dinosaurs. Now for a few of my additions...
  6. Blade Runner (1982) - You all know and love this Ridley Scott masterpiece about the future, bounty hunting, and sexbots. You all are also probably aware of my borderline obsession with sexbots. The reason I picked this movie over Spielberg's "A.I." is because...well, I actually watched all of this movie...and didn't turn it off about 2/3 of the way through...because I just didn't care what happened. Okay, maybe this movie isn't even really about sexbots...but there really hasn't been a good movie about it...so I'm just going to say this one because it's a badass movie and everybody should see it. Don't judge me.
  7. The Day After Tomorrow (2004) - Al Gore may be the Cassandra of our time...but it's very plausible. Sure, some points were a little blown out of proportion because they were making an action movie...and let's face it, the director was the guy who did "Independence Day" so it had to be a little exciting. Recycle, ride bikes, hold in your farts, do all the cool green stuff that you can...or else Mother Nature may bitchslap us all. I think that was the point of that movie.
  8. The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008) - Moreso than "Independence Day" or "War of the Worlds" or any of those other Invasion Movies, I see this one as the most logical. Why? Okay, if this superintelligent race mastered intergalactic travel, don't you think they would have done it...and been able to keep their planet intact...so no need to take all of our resources by force, right? I mean...obviously they could...but I would hope their mastery of the atom or whatever incredible fuel process they have would also make them a calm, peaceful and content people...who just want to help us all. Also, I just think this movie rocks...and the remake will still be cool...even though Keanu's playing Klaatu...but let's face, that emotionless fascade of a man has BORN to play that role...and maybe Johnny Utah.
  9. Planet of the Apes (1968) - Keep your eyes on those damned dirty apes. That's all I have to say.
  10. Idiocracy (2006) - Mike Judge may be this generation's Isaac Asimov or Philip K. Dick or at least a Stan Lee or something. For those of you who haven't seen this movie, check it out. It's about 500 years from now...when only stupid people are breeding. It's hilarious...yet scary at the same time if you really really think about it.

Anyway, now that I've thoroughly turned you all pee-pee scared, I will request that you all have a fun & exciting & safe Sunday. Love, peace, and chicken grease!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?