Sunday, September 7, 2008

Why Dewdrops Cling to Roses

Good Morning Ladies & Gentlemen,

Looked further & further into the abyss that is Denver…and I've decided to apply for the job and see what happens. I have no idea who else is applying so I may be getting my hopes up once again…but everything happens for a reason…so I shall let Fate decide and control what I can control along the way. Had many a conversation with friends & family members. My mom likes the idea…and is already planning on visiting me a bunch and telling me to go to church to meet people and all that other mom stuff. My brother's a little angry that I'm moving away…but I've already been here about four months longer than I was expecting…and my sister-in-law understands though she'd really prefer that I stay. Mr & Mrs Wingman are a little disappointed…but they understand…and know that when I drive down to Vegas for the weekend, they're still along the way. My dad understands…and we'll be hanging out a little today watching football before I work until midnight. He and my stepmom are excited that I might be able to get them some Broncos tickets or something. Friends, coworkers, casual acquaintances, all wish me well…but will miss me. The feeling's mutual. However, nothing is done yet. I've just accepted the possibility and have set what I can control into motion. The rest is in Fate's hands…and my interview skills, I guess. I will surely keep you posted…and will probably give Vegas a last chance to get some of this…but it all happens for a reason. Maybe Vegas isn't right for me…or ready for me. Oh…and Bubbles seems a little upset that I may not be moving down there…but she knows the situation and wishes me the best. Time will tell what becomes of this endeavor. In the meantime, here's the news…


The Power of Positive Thinking: Truth or Myth? - There's a lot of debate in the medical community as to whether patients can really improve their chances of survival by staying upbeat and happy? Experts say the American public has largely accepted this as fact. But scientifically speaking, questions remain regarding whether this works, how it would work, and what such a connection would mean for patients who don't get better. There's all the stories like Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong and other cancer survivors who have pulled through saying that their positive attitudes, medication, and regular fitness helped them along the way. Other cancer survivors just chalk it up to medical breakthroughs or pure luck or Fate. So does positive thinking really work? According to this article and the research involved, there is no clear cut answer…and studies have shown both positive and negative signs…and a lot of inconclusive results because every case is different and different people react differently, which is true. Anyway, the article gives more details about the findings of a few scientists and other points of view…but I know that you're probably just reading through this waiting for my opinion.


Obviously, you know how I feel about Positive Thinking. I'm pretty much one of the most optimistic guys that you'll ever want to meet. I really think that you can do anything that you put your mind to and are willing to work hard for. I am Optimist Prime. Do I think that it helps? I don't know any of the scientific studies & results involved other than things that I kinda sorta remember from something I mighta saw on TV. Something about positive attitudes releasing endorphins and enzymes that promote metabolism and immunity and stuff like that. Over the years, a number of my loved ones have gone through terminal illnesses and their paths have ranged from immediate transition to seemingly-endless torture to full recovery…and it's always hard on those involved any which way. Based on my personal experiences though, what helps me out the best…is being positive and cheerful and letting those loved ones know that I care for them, am there for them, and will do whatever I can to help them. Basically, just show them the Love. Maintain a positive attitude and put a smile on all of your faces for as long as you can…because it sure beats the alternative. Can patients really improve their chances of survival by staying upbeat & happy? In my opinion, it may not actually help, but it sure doesn't hurt. A few people have suggested that I write a self-help book or something...and it's an intriguing idea to just copy & paste emails that I've written people and ramblings, compile them, give it a title like "How to Make Every Moment an Orgasm" and just let the royalty checks roll in. Anybody know a good publisher?


HIV Gene Study - The AIDS virus is especially hard to fight because few people develop antibodies to neutralize it, but U.S. researchers said on Thursday they have found an immunity gene that may offer a new way to fight back. They said the gene Apobec3 helps mice develop antibodies against an HIV-like virus, and they think the same gene in humans could lead to a potent vaccine against the human immunodeficiency virus or HIV. So far, efforts to make a vaccine against HIV have failed. In humans, HIV devotes one of its 9 genes to disabling Apobec3 proteins, which may help explain why people with HIV rarely make antibodies against the virus, he said. HIV is a retrovirus, which means it copies bits of its own genetic code into the DNA of the host. The AIDS virus infects an estimated 33 million people globally and has killed about 25 million since the pandemic started in the 1980s. This could be a great breakthrough in modern science…but then again, that may just be the positive thinking popping up again. Why do I mention it then? Because it intrigues me…and if you have some spare change, please donate it to charity for medical research. Who knows? The dollar that you donate may purchase the syringe used in the first confirmed test of a vaccine that could save MILLIONS. Think about it.


Husband's Genes May Be To Blame for Marriage Problems - The same gene that affects a rodent's ability to mate for life may affect human marriages, Swedish and U.S. researchers reported on Tuesday. Men carrying a common variation of a gene involved in brain signaling were more likely to be in unhappy marriages than men with the other version, the team at the Karolinska Institute found. Although they are not sure what the genetic changes do to a man's behavior, some other research suggests it has to do with the ability to communicate and empathize. Hmm, communication may be important in relationships? Wonder where I've heard that before. The article goes on with the details…but surprise, surprise, yet again the men are blamed for problems in a marriage. What an incredible discovery! (By the way, that was sarcastic…but it doesn't come across that way when you type it out) I don't know why research like this intrigues me…but it does. I'm a nerd and I know it. Maybe there's a gene for that too. Maybe there are genes that determine whether you like dinosaurs…or prefer blondes to brunettes…or decide to wear a helmet when you ride a bike…or if we can find flavor in rice cakes...or enjoy the taste of the small of a woman's back…or use your turn signal when you're on the freeway…or whether you "get" modern art…or give you the ability to snap your fingers…or whistle…or determines whether we decide to move to Denver or Las Vegas…or choose beef over chicken. Maybe there's no such thing as free choice…or coincidence…and it's all predetermined for us in the combinations of amino acids in our deoxyribonucleic acid. Who knows? When finished with the large task of decoding the scientific breakdown or what makes us who we are, who knows what kinds of things we'll discover? In the meantime though, I like to think that we are what we think we are…for the most part. I guess my question raised by this is…if they do determine that it's a gene that controls one's ability to communicate with their spouse, will they develop some kind of cure for it? Will marriage counselors be reduced to pharmacists? Will there be pills for these other things like "getting" modern art and using turn signals? I guess it's like my buddy Criswell says, "We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future."



Why Dewdrops Cling to Roses - Their heady fragrance and delicate petals glistening with dew could soften the hardest heart…but take a sharper look at the dewdrops. They bead, rather than spread-and that's because the material composing the petal surface doesn't bond well with water. Yet the droplets don't roll off. What binds them to the petals? To find out, a team of chemists led by Lin Feng of Tsinghua University in Beijing peered at the petals with a scanning electron microscope. What they saw was a carpet of minuscule bumps covered with even tinier ridges. To confirm that those structures - and not the chemical makeup of the petals - are what grip the water droplets, Feng's team made a plastic cast of the petal surface. As with the original petal, water droplets stuck to the cast, even when it was turned upside down. It's the texture, then, that does the trick. Texture is also important in the so-called "lotus effect," which causes water to bead up and roll off many plants' leaves and petals, clearing away dust and debris. The difference is that on drop-shedding surfaces, the tiny bumps have wax-coated tips and are separated by narrower troughs so they make less contact with water. Feng thinks that the rose's waxless "petal effect" might help flowers attract pollinators by holding glistening dewdrops.


Now here's my unscientific theory. Why do dewdrops cling to roses? Nothing to do about wax on, wax off petals. Some dewdrops just don't want to leave. They've fallen from the sky and know the chilling cruelty of that fall. It caused them to seal themselves up into a little ball for Fear of what might happen. Then they come to a sudden stop…and awake to find themselves lying on one of the most beautiful of God's creations…the sweet delicate petals of a rose. The sensation is like nothing they remember experiencing. All the pain and fear that they experience before colliding worlds with this earthly beauty is briefly forgotten and they want to spread all over the petals…to take in as much as possible. However, they soon realize that the rose despite its incredible beauty is delicate…and so the dewdrop seals up to protect it as best they can. They would do anything to protect the being that gave them that feeling after what seemed like an eternity of hardship. They stand true…and do what they think is right…sacrificing a little bit of their feelings to protect what they care about. In doing so, they bring on attention from "pollinators" or as I prefer to call them "pricks" that come along and use the rose for whatever purpose they see fit. The dewdrop's defense has proven pointless. With each pricking, the rose loses some of its will to Live and Love. Is it because of the pricking…or the course of time? Could it possibly be because of the dewdrop's decision to seal up? Despite the dewdrop's best effort, the rose eventually withers and dies…as sadly all things do…and the dewdrop falls again, cleaning off some of the debris from its fallen Love, hits the ground, enraged in its inability to protect its precious flower causing it to heat up, evaporates shortly after, and starts the whole process again falling from the sky. Never remembering the lessons it learned from the trying to protect something when it wasn't needed. It's the natural course of things…and there's really not much you can do about it. Just be there for the rose, lowly dewdrop…and if it chooses to accept you into its life, then you will be absorbed…and every last bit of you will be a part of it. Just be like water…like Bruce Lee said…and adapt to your situation. Maybe I'm wrong. In fact, I really hope that I am. Anyway, that's just a theory. Maybe there's a gene for that too.


That concludes the ramblings of a bored man tired of thinking about what's going to happen in the next few weeks, months, years. Just be like water…and go with the flow, picking your tributaries along the way, I guess. Maybe one day, I'll find me a rose to lay up on. Have a great day everybody!!! I wish you nothing but the best in whatever you do.

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?