Thursday, September 4, 2008

Green Day

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

The Al Green Concert was amazing last night...but because I had a bit of a late night / early morning combination, I didn't get the pictures downloaded, etc. so I'm going to have to tease you until tomorrow by simply stating that it was absolutely amazing and the Reverend Al Green is a national treasure...who still knows how to make the ladies swoon. Play on, playa!!!

Last night after the concert and cheering up Filly (relationship drama), I walked in the front door of my apartment...and an eerie feeling fell over me. "Wait! I have to be up early tomorrow...for some reason." I couldn't remember what it was for...then it hit me...the Utah Food Bank needed my help in the morning. Luckily, it wasn't THAT early...only around 9 AM. "Whew." So I slept a few hours and carpooled with a few of my managers and coworkers to do a few hours of service at the Utah Food Bank. Our task for the day - Take three large boxes of frozen hash brown patties from local restaurants...and effectively chisel them off this kind of icy potato boulder in a box with our hands, bag them into packages of eight, put about fifteen of those packages in another smaller box, put those boxes on a crate, load a bunch of crates onto a truck, and ship them out to people in need of fried tater goodness. We were amazing. We were delegating responsibilities to make it the most effective process possible. Being an extremely tall person, I was kind of responsible for reaching into these large boxes and moving patties to the sides so that others could bag them...and chisel them off with my strong massive manly hands. I did my job well. I even sang a few Al Green songs (softly) and yes...even that damn "Still Alive" song mentioned yesterday. Apparently, Alex had the same issue yesterday. It's still in there...but the Reverend Al Green did a good job of making it an opening act instead of the main performer. I'm still convinced that that song may be programmed to destroy the human psyche and bring about the end of the human race...but I may be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

We celebrated our charity by going to Red Iguana, allegedly the best Mexican food in the city and/or state. I had never eaten there before despite living a few blocks away...but it was really good. I had some Carne Asada Burritos that were recommended by Boss Lady T (Boss Ladies J, D, & K were also there) and they were delicious. The service was great. The atmosphere was...well, busy and a lot of picture of Frida but still nice and a lot better than most places that I've eaten at. The food was fantastic though. I'd definitely recommend it to others...and don't be swayed that it's located next door to the lingerie shop & cheap motel...because that can just make it one-stop date shopping if you're on a budget. Anyway, at work now...and really considering a job opportunity that just came up in Denver, Colorado of all places...but we'll see. I've been researching the past few weeks...but among other places. I'll let you know later. In the meantime, here's some real news...

The Voice Dies - Don LaFontaine, the man who popularized the catch phrase "In a world where..." and lent his voice to thousands of movie trailers, has died at the age of 68. He passed Monday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center from complications in the treatment of an ongoing illness. LaFontaine made more than 5,000 trailers in his 33-year career while working for the top studios and television networks. In a rare on-screen appearance in 2006, he parodied himself on a series of national television commercials for a car insurance company (I think Geico) where he played himself telling a customer, "In a world where both of our cars were totally under water..." In an interview last year, LaFontaine explained the strategy behind the phrase. (By the way, you must imagine him saying this in the voice) "We have to very rapidly establish the world we are transporting them to," he said of his viewers. "That's very easily done by saying, `In a world where ... violence rules.' `In a world where ... men are slaves and women are the conquerors.' You very rapidly set the scene." LaFontaine insisted he never cared that no one knew his name or his face, though everyone knew his voice. LaFontaine went on to work in the promo industry in the early 1960s. As an audio engineer, he produced radio spots for movies with producer Floyd Peterson. When an announcer didn't show up for a recording session in 1965, LaFontaine voiced his first narration, a promo for the film, "Gunfighters of Casa Grande." The client, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, liked his performance. LaFontaine remained active until recently, averaging seven to 10 voiceover sessions a day. He worked from a home studio his wife nicknamed "The Hole," where his fax machine delivered scripts. Sweet gig, right? My condolences to his wife & three daughters. Now who will tell me about the next action movie? MY GOD!!! "Bangkok Dangerous" might be the last Nicolas Cage movie told to me through Mr. LaFontaine's baritone. The world has lost a treasure. Who shall replace him? Well, I think Pablo Francisco does a pretty good job. He should be talking to his agent as we speak. Oh...and in honor of Mr. LaFontaine, I am going to write the rest of this entry...using his voice. Not sure how that's going to translate...but it's worth a shot.

"In a world where Evil, Sadness, War, and Hate... control ALL. A small-town gigolo cobbler must using his gifts of Love, Power, Height, and Ninja skills to save the world from an evil empire known as the BLUES. One man...stands alone...on a never-ending quest...to turn those frowns...upside down. Romance! Desire! Passion! Pandas! Stickin' it to the man...any way he can. From acclaimed director Dr. Mookie Love...and starring Dr. Mookie Love...in the role he was born to play. Also starring Adriana Lima (Amazonian princess who helps me along the way), Lindsay Lohan (cute girl next door that longs for adventure...and Dr. Love), Angelina Jolie (the leader of the BLUES), and introducing...Megan Fox as...Megan Fox!!! (Who the hell cares what she plays? Hot chick #5 but she'll be there) The Summer Blockbuster Event...coming this 4th of July weekend...watch out for THE ECLECTIC ECCENTRIC!!! Rated PG-13 for adult language & situations, nudity, and mind-blowing orgasms." Okay, enough of that. I don't even give him justice. RIP playa.

So the other day, I was at work (like usual). I'm taking my lunch...and being on the second floor of our building, I was at the top of the stairs when a coworker & her daughter were there...with a baby carriage containing a lovely little baby girl. Now, being a gentleman (and realizing that they were "larger" women and already winded from carrying her around for the past hour or whatever), I thought that I would offer my assistance. "Excuse me, would you like some help with that?" They looked at me a little perplexed for a moment, like I had just appeared out of nowhere with my pants around my ankles (I checked, that wasn't the case). Then it struck me, I used the pronoun "That" to refer to the vessel transporting their offspring...but they probably heard it as me referring to HER as "That" instead. Looking back, I may have wanted to be more specific like "Excuse me, would you like some assistance in navigating your lovely daughter down these treacherous stairs?" Then again, maybe I'm thinking too much about it (again) and my chivalry just caught them off guard. Oh yeah, in the end, they declined, chuckling a bit...but suggested that I go down the stairs first so that I wouldn't have to wait. Why am I even telling you about this? Good question. Don't really know. Guess it's just to let you know to watch what you say around new parents...because everything revolves around their children...and use specific pronouns instead of ambiguous.

Funerals & Weddings - The similarities between funerals & weddings are amazing. You wear the same outfit. Generally the same basic meal is offered. A clergyman is usually there as master of ceremonies. Somebody's getting laid that night (whether in a hotel room or into the ground). They signify the end of a man's life...okay and the beginning of a new one. I'll try not to rag on weddings...that much. The point is...they are usually held at different times. Not in this case. 24-year olds Jason and Rachael Storm held their wedding at Starks and Menchinger Family Funeral Home, where Jason is a funeral director. Their reception, including dinner and dancing, also was held at the funeral home. "This room is usually filled with sadness and contemplation, but today it is filled with joy and celebration," the Rev. Greg Prather said at the start of Saturday's ceremony. Jason Storm doesn't see much difference between getting married in a church or the funeral home. "I look at it as, if you go to a church and get married, how many caskets do you think have been rolled down that aisle?" Creepy...but still cool.

Well, I think that'll do it for today. Gotta check out the Denver area and see if it'll really interest me to continue my career there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if any of you have experiences out there. I've been there a few times for a few days...but it seems like Slick City...just with a higher alcohol content, more African-Americans, and the ski resorts are further away. It's a great opportunity...but you can make your own opportunities. Oh well, we'll see. It all happens for a reason. Have a great day everybody!!!

3 comments:

JLee said...

That's interesting about weddings and funerals. haha
One of my blogger friends is from Denver (Viva). You should check out her blog and ask her if she likes it there!

A.P. said...

“In a world where you move to Denver-A world of... whatever is in Denver, is a world here without Dr. MookeLove, a world where I crack jokes to myself because no one will get them. That is a sad world.

A sad world where I giggle by myself- and watch movies and drink beer by myself...

That will be the world of The Mad Scientist, a world where he thinks everything is about himself.”

... good heavens, I need something better to do with my time. Good luck with Denver buddy. And RIP Movie Voice Guy.

$teve said...

Thanks JLee. I'm gonna have to check on that. Already a mixed response from friends & family in the hours that I've been considering it. :)

Professor T, despite your intriguing preview, in a world...without Love...there can be no hope. :) Ah, you'll be fine without me...and I'm sure that you won't forget me like you did Bubbles. :) Besides, you may just have to put up with me for a while longer.

Where Should I Go Next?