Monday, September 22, 2008

Flowers Would Be A Surprise

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Despite what you may have read yesterday, the weekend wasn't all bad. For example, I did get to have some good Chinese food at the Golden Phoenix with JL Clyde. Their sesame chicken, braised tofu (which I'm told is some type of bird), and wonton soup were pretty good. I didn't keep the Fortune Cookie of the Day…but it was something like "Flowers would be a great surprise for somebody tomorrow." Really? That would be something of a surprise…but since I just spent a few grand on suits for a job that I've heard basically nothing on for several weeks, I just sent some digital flowers with a sweet message. Hopefully that'll work in surprising some ladies out there.


At work, I got to hang with the Mad Scientist, Camb, and Mandy for a few moments, so that was cool too. I even got a call from Bubbles who really brightened my day by describing her new Halloween outfit - Li'l Red Riding Hood. Made me think a little bit about my Halloween outfit…and Filly has offered to make me one for the longest time…but I've simply had so much other crap on my mind, I really can't think of anything. We've thrown around ideas like Frank the Bunny (Donnie Darko), the Jolly Green Giant, Sexual Harassment Panda, Dramatic Stare Squirrel, even Li'l Red Riding Hood briefly (did it once in high school…and it wasn't pretty) but can't really think of one that'd work good…and I don't want to bother her with my indecision…so I'm basically just thinking as going as Chewbacca or a Horny Devil again because it's simple and I already have the costume. Heck, Dramatic Stare Squirrel would just require a little face paint with the Wookie suit. I don't know. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?


Ooh, I also finished "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk…and as previously mentioned, I highly recommend it to anybody who likes to read books. There's definitely a different kind of logic behind the main character's thinking but there's a lot of odd ball happenings, character quirks, and mishaps along the way. I'd say check it out…or the movie comes out on Friday. Now for the news…


Nate Dogg Hospitalized - West Coast rapper Nate Dogg was hospitalized nearly two weeks ago after suffering a stroke, his second in less than a year. However, contrary to Internet news stories that offered an upbeat prognosis, a family member tells E! News that as of Wednesday the 39-year-old was on life support in a Los Angeles-area hospital with a feeding tube in his mouth. "He has suffered another stroke from his bad eating habits and unhealthy lifestyle. All we can do now is pray for him." says Donald Smith, Dogg's cousin and a fellow rapper who goes by the moniker Lil' Half Dead (Really?). Dogg has since been taken off life support but as of today still requires a feeding tube. The rapper, whose real name is Nathaniel Hale, was stricken on Sept. 5. Earlier this week, manager Rod McGrew told the hip-hop news site SOHH "the prognosis at this time is favorable. We're positive, prayerful, hopeful and patient." The rapper's condition will undoubtedly force a Compton judge to postpone a Sept. 24 hearing in which Dogg faces felony charges for threatening and stalking his estranged wife (as mentioned earlier on this blog). Our prayers go out to you and your family…and we hope that you recover fully.


Mission Failed - 25-year-old Richard Anthony Smith called 911 from his cell phone before dawn Wednesday saying he was trapped in an air conditioning duct leading from the Knoxville Museum of Art's roof. Police and firefighters reached the roof, found a rope and cable and followed them to a vent shaft. Peering inside, they spotted Smith about 45 feet down. Hoisted up and read his rights, Smith told police he was a "special agent from the United States Illuminati, badge number 0931" and had rappelled onto the museum from a helicopter, a police report said. He said he was following orders to "defuse and confiscate" a Soviet-made nuclear warhead, specifically a "MERV6SS-22AN" warhead. The bomb supposedly was hidden in a blue, plastic cow sculpture in the museum basement. However, Smith told officers his "agency" called while he was in air-vent limbo to say it made a mistake and the bomb might be in a Memphis museum instead. Police charged Smith with aggravated robbery. He was being held on $2,000 bond at the Knox County Jail. Authorities said he did not have a lawyer…but he's gonna need a good one. Police spokesman Darrell DeBusk said, "Fortunately he was able to reach his cell phone or he may not have been found for quite some time." I guess the mission was a failure…but what if he's telling the truth...and the people of Memphis should watch out for an active Soviet warhead? These may not be a the ramblings of a mad man…or the BS of a man stuck in an air conditioning duct trying to come up with something, anything to tell police when they come to rescue him. Here's the question, is there a blue cow sculpture in the basement? I always told my mom that's where blue cheese comes from…but she never believed me. One thing's for sure, as a fellow member of the Illuminati, he must now be executed for revealing our existence. Wait, does that mean that I must be eliminated now? Never mind, forget that I said anything.


Cloning: It Begins - The Australian government has issued its first license allowing scientists to create cloned human embryos to try and obtain embryonic stem cells. The in vitro-fertilization firm Sydney IVF was granted the license and reportedly has access to 7,200 human eggs for its research. If the firm is successful it would be a world first. Scientists in other countries have made stem cells they believe are similar to embryonic cells using a variety of techniques but none have been able to extract embryonic stem cells from cloned human embryos. An Australian ban on the research, known as therapeutic cloning or somatic cell nuclear transfer, was lifted in December 2006 after a rare conscience vote in the national parliament…but the use of excess IVF embryos and the creation and use of other embryos in research is restricted by law through national legislation. Human cloning for reproductive purposes is banned. More of the details are explained in the article if you're interested…but it should be an interesting development. I've mentioned my views of cloning before…but here they are again for new readers.




  • Cloning Humans - Were I a selfish person, I would say that we can clone various Victoria's Secret supermodels, actresses, and bring back Marilyn Monroe. However, the world is already extremely overpopulated for its resources. So for the safety of all, I suggest that we invest in pleasure-giving robots instead of having my own Norma Jean. I'll just have to find the living, breathing girl the old fashioned way...buy her from her father for a few head of cattle.


  • However, I do like the idea of cloning for organ transplants & diseases and what have you. Sure, it'll be one of those things were the advantage goes to those that can afford it...but all medicine is that way. That's why life expectancy differs from country to country & continent to continent.


  • Some may argue that growing a human being simply for a few organs is wrong. They may be right. However, is it any more wrong to grow sunflowers for a few seeds? Or soy for its beans? Or a walnut tree for its nuts? Wow, that last one did sound a little wrong.


  • Cloning Animals - In advance, I'm going to warn you that my views differ from that of PETA...because I love meat. All kind of meat. Meat that some wouldn't even consider meat. However, I do realize that there are more humane ways to produce meat over others. Some may ask "Why do some companies brutally slaughter instead of humanely recycle animals?" Well, leaving out the more delicate use of words, it's basically a financial influence. Killing humanely costs more money...and to stay competitive with foreign producers, prices need to be slashed (pardon the ironic use of words).


  • I like the idea of cloning animals for food & clothing and any other use of their bodies...except for one thing, it probably costs more than usual herding...which defeats the purpose to both producer & consumer, so it's only feasible financially as a last resort for world starvation...but may be sooner than we think.


  • There is one gripe that I have about animal protestors. They always defend the cute animals like dolphins, horses, & pandas...but where's the love for nature's less-attractive animals like turkeys or retarded animals like cows.


  • Cloning Plants - Nobody ever seems to have a problem with cloning or bioengineering plants. Do plants not react to their environment like an animal or human? Do they not feed, grow, reproduce, or are effected by disease like any other being? Yeah, I'm all for engineering super plants that bear tomatoes the size of Buick (for pizza sauce) and cashews that can be used as rocking furniture. Tell me that a nacho flavored banana doesn't sound delicious & nutritious.


Well, it's a rainy morning here in Utah...and who knows, maybe I'll hear something about this Denver job some time this week. I'm sure that it'll come at the most inconvenient possible time. Until next time, take care of yourself...and each other. Love out!!!

3 comments:

Jewels said...

Thanks for the flowers Steve! You're such a sweetheart!

P.S. - Most women of quality are worth more than a few heads of cattle. :)

$teve said...

It's my pleasure, Jewels!!! I understand that women of quality are worth more than a few head of cattle...but the way that the economy is going...that may change soon. :) Hope it's back to double digit weather in Phoenix now.

Anonymous said...

Great shots!! Thanks for sharing those flowers picture with us.

Where Should I Go Next?