Friday, September 5, 2008

Steve Seis Nueve

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

As promised, here are pictures from the tremendous Reverend Al Green concert at the new Red Butte Gardens Amphitheatre next to the University of Utah (well on their way to an undefeated football season). After stopping by Noodles & Company to pick up our dinner, fellow R&B enthusiast JL Clyde & I ventured up to the concert with a Sgt. Pepper blanket, some bowls of noodles, and a twinkle in our eye. "Dude, f**king Al Green is here!!!" was recited more than once. Alas, this is believed to be the FIRST time in his prestigious forty year career that the good reverend has ventured into the state of Utah. They said that picture taking wasn't allowed at the front gates...but I paid my $60 so I was gettin' me some pictures. Besides, my loyal blog patrons demand it. Our fellow concert patrons included an eclectic mix of characters…but those that seemed to surround where we sat were most friendly pretentious middle-aged yuppies with seats, coolers, wine goblets, and various other high-scale intricacies found in your local Brookstone or SkyMall. There was Wine in a Box…without a Box…just the plastic sack. It was truly enjoyable to watch…and laugh about literally behind their backs. They were nice people and all…it just caught us funny. Especially when one of the ladies asked us about our noodle bowls. "Where did you get those? How did you make that? Are they like warmers or something?" "Ugh…we just went to Noodles & Company (showing off the bag), these are just the plastic carry-out bowls." "Oh…"


The opening act was Sarah Little & Scott Sacks, they were a bluesy duo with voices, an acoustic git box, and a stomping foot at their disposal. They were actually really really good. After the sun started to drop, so did the temperature…which I wasn't really expecting…but I had my green Philadelphia Eagles T-shirt to keep me warm…and yes, I did wake up that morning and think to myself "You know, I should wear a green shirt…since I had a Green Fair at work…and Al Green in the evening." Anyway, the good Reverend Green also came on to stage and funked it up, warming the surrounding masses. Many of the ladies kept security busy by running up on stage…which I suspect can be quite flattering to a man in his sixties…even if he's the 2008 BET Lifetime Achievement Award recipient. Anyway, the show was awesome, he did most of the classics (though no "Georgia Boy") and it ended with "Love & Happiness" as all great concerts should. Surprisingly, no encore…first time that's ever happened at a concert for me…but he's Al Green, he can do whatever he wants. Anyway, here are the pictures…





There's Sarah Little & Scott Sacks
Sorry for the lack of zoom...

The sun's going down, you know what that means...
Turn on the Al Green...and enjoy...

"DUDE!!! F**king Al Green's on stage!!!"

The skyline of Slick City from the U

As for the Denver situation, I've been consulting a lot of trusted advisors, looking into real estate, asking both current & former residents about the place, weighing my options, making a lot of phone calls, doing pros & cons lists, and all the usual stuff that I bore you with. However, it still remains undecided…but I have the day off, so at least I can take care of a few things to get a better picture. Vegas is still the number one option…but it just seems less and less like it's going to happen. The city is struggling a little bit…and so trying to break in there is pretty tough. Basically, it breaks down to Denver is a great opportunity with a great company and people that I know a little bit...but it's the only major city in the continental U.S. further away from ANYTHING than Slick City already is...and I'll be getting there just in time to enjoy their legendary winter months. Also, family & friends, would you rather visit the Mile High City...or Sin City? I rest my case. Oh well, we'll find out shortly. Here's the news…


Are They Called Petophiles? - A polled survey of 1,105 pet owners by Petplan, a provider of health insurance for dogs & cats, showed that more than two-thirds of Americans would rather be stranded on a desert island with their pet than with their partner. The same poll also found more than half threw parties for their pets, nearly 70 percent share their beds with a pet, 63 percent cook for their pets and 68 percent dress their pets up. Americans spent about $48 billion on pets in 2007. Now granted, I realize that this is an EXTREMELY poor representation because the only people surveyed were those who would know and/or care about a company providing insurance for pets…but it's still kind of sad. I mean…I like pets, don't get me wrong at all…but I'm hoping that they're not making this decision based on the warmth and affection that the pet would provide…but some other reason. Perhaps it's because of their hunting skills and they realize that a loyal dog could catch both of them enough food on an allegedly deserted island. Perhaps if the island is found to NOT be deserted (ala Lost) then they think the pet would provide protection…or at least scare off a bear or two. Perhaps they would have less moral convictions against eating a pet than their partner…or that it would simply be easier to do so. Like I said, this was a poorly constructed survey from the beginning. You need to elaborate on what the results MEAN rather than what they ARE. What's your vote…pet or partner...and why? I can't answer this question…for I have no partner. I would suspect that I would choose my partner...but then again, that may just be optimism again. I wonder if any K-9 unit officers were questioned. "I don't understand. X here is my pet…and my partner. Aren't you boy?" "WOOF!!!"


Hope for Courtney Love? - A once drug-addled elephant fed heroin-laced bananas by illegal traders will return home after emerging clean from a three-year detox program on China's tropical island province of Hainan (I'm telling ya, rehab is the new destination for celebrities). The four-year-old bull elephant "Xiguang" (Big Brother) was captured in 2005 in southwest China by traders who used spiked bananas to control him. After police arrested the traders and freed Xiguang a few months later, the elephant was confirmed to be suffering from withdrawal symptoms and sent to a wild animal protection centre in Hainan for rehab. A year of methadone injections at five times the human dosage had helped wean Xiguang off his addiction. Now clean, Xiguang was expected to arrive on Saturday at a wildlife park in Kunming, capital of the elephant's home province of Yunnan on the mainland. Wow. Can you imagine…an elephant coming off heroin? It's like "Trainspotting" meets "Operation: Dumbo Drop" but without the Disney. Congratulations to Xiguang and all the wonderful people who made it possible!!! Now if we can just figure out how to get spider monkeys off crack cocaine, we'll be set.


Speaking of Crack - Well, it's official. Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson has officially lost his f**king mind…and legally changed his last name…to Ocho Cinco (his jersey number "Eight Five" in Spanish). This allegedly started because about two years ago, he wanted to wear a jersey with that nickname (that only he seems to like) on his jersey...but the NFL said no...because they're not idiots and want surnames on the jerseys. With Ocho Cinco being his legal surname now, they basically have no say...and frankly, who cares? Now, I loved the XFL a few years back and the nicknames on the back of the jerseys like "He Hate Me" and "Terminator" and stuff like that. That being said, I think that Chad Johnson (cuz that's what his mama calls him, so that's what I’m gonna call him) is just being absolutely ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous. The change to Ocho Cinco is the receiver’s latest promotional move. He’s also known for his touchdown celebrations, his golden Mohawk for one season, his race against a horse, various lame commercials, and basically saying stupid stuff on talk shows for the better part of a decade now. All I can say is…at least he's not naming his children something completely stupid…just himself…and you can't really hate on that. Okay you can. I will allow it. Stay in school kids…or else…


Anyway, that'll do it for me. I'm going to probably just depress myself analyzing this career move thing from every possible angle and just stress myself to the point of burnout…but in the end, I'll have a decision (God willing). Have a great day everybody!!! Thanks again for the show, Al Green!!! Come on back on your next tour. We'd love to have you again…and here's a taste of "Love & Happiness" for everybody in the meantime...


No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?