Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I Collect Spores, Molds, & Fungus

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,


Well, the interview yesterday went very well. Actually quite easier than expected. The man interviewing me was a former coworker for about six years ago, so we knew eachother...and I talked to him briefly when I was in Denver two months ago. The main focus was just asking why I'm considering Denver instead of Las Vegas now and if I understood the job. I'll spare you the details (mostly because I don't want to jinx it...and I'm not sure of the legal schmegal stuff) but it went very well (even with a phone that kept shorting out) and I'm expecting a call later today with the decision...which is a good sign that I may be moving to Denver and starting a new job. It seems like a fantastic situation...and I'm really excited about it...but of course, I'm also going to miss the people that I currently work with...and can only hope that they'll stop by Denver once in a while. After the interview, I basically spent the rest of the day multitasking by doing my job duties, texting, and talking to my family, friends, and coworkers simultaneously letting them know how the interview went. Oh well, I'll find out later today...and let you know...probably tomorrow morning (if not in person within a few minutes). So yeah, no Big Announcement quite yet...but it wouldn't surprise me on tomorrow's edition. Stay tuned...


Il is Ill? - There was no sign of supreme dictator Kim Jong Il at a closely watched parade Tuesday marking the 60th anniversary of North Korea's founding, and Western officials said the all powerful leader — who has not appeared publicly for a month — may be gravely ill. North Korea's state media was silent about his absence from the parade, a relatively low-key ceremony that unexpectedly lacked much of North Korea's trademark military display, though still took on a decidedly martial flavor. In a broadcast monitored in Seoul, Korean Central Television showed North Korea's No. 2 leader and other officials and military officers atop a viewing stand. Kim Jong Il was not shown. In Washington, a Western intelligence official said that it was possible the 66-year-old, known to his people as the "Dear Leader," was gravely ill after he failed to show up at the celebration. Then again, this is the same intelligence that talked about WMD's and all that stuff, so take it with a grain of salt and chase it with a beer. It just made me want to watch "Team America: World Police" to hear this. "I'm… so… ronery. So ronery. So ronery and sadry arone. There's nobody…just me onry, sitting on my rittre throne." Always brings a tear to my eye. Poor Kim Jong Il. All the omnipotent power that an Asian nation can provide…and nobody to call his own. So sad…and now his health is allegedly failing. I wish you well, "Dear Leader" (like he has a column in the local newspaper). That is as long as you keep your missiles to yourself.



Thai Prime Minister Resigns Over Cooking Show - I had to read this article based on the headline. Thai court removed prime minister Samak Sundaravej Tuesday for taking pay to host a TV cooking show, setting off wild celebrations by protesters occupying his office compound…but rejoicing could be short-lived because the ruling party vowed to put him back in power. The Constitutional Court's ruling took the prime minister at least temporarily out of the cross-hairs of the People's Alliance for Democracy, a rightist movement that seized the Government House complex two weeks ago seeking to force the prime minister's resignation. The ruling seems unlikely to end the political crisis brought on by the alliance's demands for a sea change in Thai politics, beginning with Samak's ouster and eventually moving Thailand away from democracy in favor of a mostly appointed legislature. After the verdict, Samak's political party vowed to re-elect him as prime minister, as allowed by law. Okay…that's great and all…but are we missing the point here? The Prime Minister of Thailand…is being forced to resign…because he hosted a TV cooking show. Our President may very well be clinically retarded…borderline at best...and he's seemingly immune to any kind of discipline. He takes a few bucks for showing how to cook up some curry in a hurry and he's immediately overthrown from office. By the way, did you know that the King of Thailand is the richest member of royalty in the world? Well, now you know. I'm nothing if not a fountain of useless trivia.


Polygamy at its Best or Worst? - Now, I've been a huge supporter of Polygamy in the right context…as you can see from past entries here and here. However, this may be too much of a good thing. A Nigerian court has granted temporary reprieve to an 84-year-old Muslim preacher with 86 wives after local leaders threatened to force him to leave the area unless he divorced all but four of them. Mohammed Bello launched a legal challenge after local chiefs and Muslim leaders in Bida, a town in central Niger state where he lives with his wives and some 170 children (that's a lot of Love) gave him until Sept 7 to comply with Islamic sharia law, which allows a man to have no more than four wives at a time. The Islamic preacher said in his petition that the threats violated his right to life and personal liberty. His case has stirred controversy in Africa's most populous nation of 140 million people, roughly half of whom are Muslim. Many Muslim scholars say Islam allows men to have up to four wives at any given time who must be treated equally. Eighty-six wives? That man must have an AMAZING memory just to remember their names…less their birthdays, anniversaries, food preferences, childhood stories, clothing sizes, and keeping them all straight. I don't think that I could do it…but I think it'd be fun to try. I mean…there has to be at least a few Marys or Stacys or something. It'd just get confusing…especially in bed. "Oh Cindy B, you're amazing." "Who the f**k is Cindy? I'm Jenny L." "I was talking to the one riding the bottom half." "Hi, I'm Cindy B. I don't believe we've met. Jenny L was it?" That's right, you'd have to go between two and five at a time…just for time constraints. I mean…he's an 84-year-old preacher too. This story is just…baffling on so many levels…and I can't even get a date. That's it, I'm converting to Islam and moving to Nigeria. Actually, now that I've said it out loud, it's not worth it. Perhaps Denver is the better option…and I can start my compound out there. I'm thinking that I'd max out around six "wives" (because multiple marriage is illegal) anyway.


Sea Monkeys in Space - A tiny, six-legged critter that can suspend all biological activity in extreme environments survived a journey to space that would have instantly killed any human and most other life forms. In the first test of its kind, researchers exposed the hardy segmented creatures called "water bears" to the open and harsh vacuum of space, with all its deadly radiation, on a spacecraft in low-Earth orbit. Many of them survived. The water bears, known formally as tardigrades, have an ability similar to brine shrimp (only sealife of the Great Salt Lake of Utah and also known as Sea Monkeys), which are familiar to many children for their ability to come to life after being sent to homes by mail-order. Tardigrades are speck-sized things, less than 1.5 millimeters long. They live on wet lichens and mosses but when their environment dries out, they just wait for a return of water. They also resist heat, cold and radiation. The UV solar radiation resistance was most surprising to scientists…because in space it's over a thousand times higher than on the surface of Earth (until that pesky ozone layer is gone). The survivors could even still reproduce. This may prove to be really amazing stuff down the line. Maybe they'll develop some kind of serum that will allow us to live in a vacuum…at absolute zero temperature…exposed to incredible radiation levels…and basically launch us through space…and then just need a splash of water to revitalize at our destination. I still like the teleporter idea better. Still kind of cool though. They're even more resilient than cockroaches. Thank goodness they're only a little over a millimeter long. (That's what she said) Okay, so I'm a nerd, I admit it. I'm watching "Jurassic Fight Club" as I type. So what?



Well, that'll do it for today. Guess I should start packing...though I've been half packed for about four months now. So excited. Wish me luck everybody!!! Most importantly though, have a great day!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?