Monday, August 18, 2008

Fraggle Rock Band Party this Thursday

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

To start things off, I'd like to extend an invitation to a Fraggle Rock Band party this Thursday (oddly enough my mom's 50th birthday) at my house, starting around…we'll say 7 PM just because I have nothing better to do that day. JL Clyde will be bringing Fraggle Rock, Filly will be bringing Dance Dance Revolution for anybody interested, I will have Rock Band & the usual fanfare…and plenty of booze as always. It'll be fun. Pinky swear.



Saturday saw me…not really doing much. I spent some time hanging with my mom, then my brother stopped by…after he took the family up camping with my long-time friends Isaihia & Spitsofrantic…and their families. It almost lasted twelve hours as the babies weren't sleeping in the woods, so they went home around 6 AM. He stopped by to drop off the trailer…and being his only friend, he wanted me to come down and hang out with him…as did his wife. I think they just wanted help babysitting…but that's been a theme this past week, so I figured why change it up? We watched some Olympics, some movies, played some Rock Band & Lego Indiana Jones, I played with the kids, then the day was over. Oh, there was this conversation with my brother that struck me as hilarious. "Hey dude, is it after eleven-fifteen?" "Yeah, it's like three o'clock." "No, I mean...like, the date." "You mean like November 15th? No, not this year." " Oh okay, what is it then?" "August 16th." "Oh okay...August is the...eighth month, right?" "It sure is." I had flashbacks of talking with the Dude on the Couch in "Half Baked." "August? Wooooow." Yeah, that was Saturday.



Yesterday started like any other at my brother's. Kids were there, we had quesadillas for lunch, drama ensued. What started it? My sister-in-law had left the dishwasher liquid out. My brother saw it…and made a sarcastic comment along the lines of "You left the dishwasher liquid out again. You know, this is great for kids to play with…which is why I ask you to put it away when you're done…all the time." The straw that broke the camel's back. She was reading her new book (something about vampire orgies…but that may have been a joke) and so without saying a word, she went upstairs to read. About an hour later, she came down and said she was going for a drive with my niece Kelaudri to the grocery store…but of course it was in that tone (you guys know what I'm talking about) so I know that something's up…but whatever, she's not my wife. Half-hour or so later, she starts packing up some of her stuff, so my brother asks what's going on, drama ensues, communication breaks down because they're both stubborn jackasses (and it's all been said before…about a month ago…coincidence?), and eventually the cops are called…because they were last time and my brother wanted some sweet revenge for that. I just stood by and tried to entertain the kids while this was going on. The cop (of course) made Kiel stand outside of the house (because of drunken hillbillies, guys basically have no rights in these situations) and we tried to pass the time (she was drawing it out) by talking to the cop, who actually worked with our dad back in the day. He wasn't very pleased to be called out on this BS because he kept saying stuff like "We have calls backed up, can we please move this along?" "Sure, you're the one that's letting her back in the house." Then there was a dispute about where the kids were going to stay…because again, she was drawing it out…probably waiting for my brother to snap (she's a smart cookie) but it didn't work…and the kids stayed home. Drama, drama, drama…and I think they're filling out paperwork today.



Later on, my mom stopped by so that I could take her to my place for the night then drive her to the airport early this morning (second straight Monday where I went to the airport at 5 AM - Thanks again, Bubbles!!!). She was worried about me because…well, drama seems to follow me around…but I do a really good job of handling it. She's just my mom and worries about me bottling things up or something. I've basically decided that I should start getting my own drama instead of borrowing from others. Sure, I miss being in a relationship (or really even knowing much about what one is like past the third date) but then again, it could be a LOT worse. The key is that I'm still trying and not letting my bad experiences sway me…and I learn from others mistakes…which is much easier than doing it firsthand. What have I learned? Here's a few in no particular order...




  • Communication skills are essential, especially listening

  • If you don't enjoy spending quiet time with them, it's not gonna last

  • You can't save everyone (but I still try for some reason)

  • You shouldn't have to save everyone

  • Some people don't want to be saved

  • People want different things…at different times

  • You can't change people, they have to want to change

  • That being said, Friends are people that want to help you be & feel better (not just accept who you are)

  • People don't hear what you say, only how you make them feel

  • On that note, listen to what the other person is saying

  • Logic is pretty much worthless when it comes to matters of the heart

  • Sadly, the Truth is usually not the best answer

  • Even if you say the Truth, they probably won't believe you

  • Women, especially between ages 18-40, have no idea what they REALLY want

  • So just be yourself…and hopefully they'll like your quirkiness as well as your smoothness

  • Cost / Benefits Analysis: Is the Juice worth the Squeeze?

  • Name-calling is childish & ridiculous, just don't do it…even to hurt the other person

  • People make mistakes, to err is human…but to cheat is completely f**ked up

  • Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…you ain't gonna fool me again (Damn, Bush is stupid)

  • Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react, which can be good or bad

  • Kids complicate everything

  • The Waitlist to be on Jerry Springer is really, really long

  • You can't kiss your problems away (though it's fun to try)

  • Everybody has Drama, they just handle it differently

Anyway, even with this wealth of knowledge, all the theory in the world doesn't matter in the practice of it. However, you can't be discouraged. Why? Because though you may feel alone sometimes…and that no matter how hard you try, nobody will ever Love you for who you are and all that other stuff you tell yourself during Gloomy Gus Days, all you have to do is keep your eyes, mind, and heart open and you'll find somebody who feels exactly the same way (or hopefully a little more cheerful) and then you can try it out…and who knows? It may work out for you. If at first you don't succeed, try again. Sorry if that's kind of a downer…but I just like to share my nuggets with you so that you don't have to find out the hard way. Also, there's this...




Blessing & a Curse - A new study has found that birth-control pills could screw up a woman's ability to sniff out a compatible mate. While several factors can send a woman swooning, including big brains and brawn, body odor can be critical in the final decision. That's because beneath a woman's flowery fragrance or a guy's musk the body sends out aromatic molecules that indicate genetic compatibility. Major histocompatibility complex (MHC) genes are involved in immune response and other functions, and the best mates are those that have different MHC smells than you. (Compliment each other and make the whole better than the sum of the parts) The new study reveals, however, that when women are on the pill they prefer guys with matching MHC odors. MHC genes churn out substances that tell the body whether a cell is a native or an invader. When individuals with different MHC genes mate, their offspring's immune systems can recognize a broader range of foreign cells, making them more fit. Past studies have suggested couples with dissimilar MHC genes are more satisfied and more likely to be faithful to a mate. And the opposite is also true with matching-MHC couples showing less satisfaction and more wandering eyes. "Not only could MHC-similarity in couples lead to fertility problems," said lead researcher Stewart Craig Roberts, an evolutionary psychologist at the University of Newcastle in England, "but it could ultimately lead to the breakdown of relationships when women stop using the contraceptive pill, as odor perception plays a significant role in maintaining attraction to partners." There's more in the article about the study and findings…but basically, it all makes sense now. I'm a great mate…genetically speaking and otherwise…but now even the Pill is screwing me over…and not the good way. Oh well, the world without it would be…well, pretty much the same for me…but more complicated for others (the kids thing). You take the good, you the take the bad, you add them up and there you have…my little news clip. Sit Bubu, sit. Good dog.



Today, I'm doing much better after a few 2-3 hour naps last night and will probably go see my dad tonight to hear about stories from his trip to Sturgis in the Bat-Hummer. He suggests that you check out the Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota too. He enjoyed it immensely…even after my Dark Knight-esque hype surrounding it. Well, that'll do it. Let me know if you're interested in the Fraggle Rock Band Party on Thursday and I'll be sure to have enough seats or something. Have a great day everybody!!!

2 comments:

JLee said...

I have heard that birth control story before and it made me say "well, that explains it!" haha

$teve said...

Indeed. Same thoughts here. Sigh... :)

Where Should I Go Next?