Monday, August 25, 2008

Republic of a Man's Mind

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Republic of a Man's Mind - Yesterday, I was talking with Lilie about her abundant job opportunities again...and after a while she asked me why decision making was so difficult for her. I have a theory about this kind of thing...and have had so for a long time, so I shared it with her. Now, I know for me...when it comes to decision making on a HUGE long term thing (like moving or changing careers after a while or whatever), my mind basically boils down to three separate branches of the decision making system.


Executive Branch - The Brain - I'll weigh the pros & cons, do a LOT of research, think about it almost obsessively to no end, do a cost-benefits analysis, SWOT analysis if needed, look at many different options, even make up a few theoretical ones to test it out, ask around to get other people's opinions & feedback, ask professionals, ask friends, ask family, ask total strangers, ask pets, ask Jeeves, and then go from there. Logically, realistically, is it a good decision?


Legislative Branch - The Heart - Does it meet my moral code? Is it the right thing to do? Will I be able to live with myself after doing it? Will others be able to live with me after doing it? Will I be able to look at myself in the mirror...and not have to lie to myself to make me feel better about it? Who else is affected by my decisions? How so? Is it selfish or for the greater good? Do I really care if it's selfish or not? Basically just a reality check to see if the logical decision is really "right" or just correct. This is also the area where emotions come in and can really mess things up. Love, Passion, Anger, Revenge, Jealousy, Sadness, Depression, Fear, Hate, Happiness, Desperation, Frustration, Courage, Loyalty, all that stuff weighs in...and can be great for fueling your decision...but all the fuel in the world can't lead you to the right place if you don't know the direction.


Judicial Branch - The Wang - This is what most people consider the "Gut Feeling" but I eat a lot of spicy foods so I don't rely on my stomach nearly as much as my Legacy. I mean...it's kind of an instinctual, spiritual, personal, sexual relationship that we have...because that's where my future generations are coming from. Why would he lead me wrong? He wants what's best for me. Besides, sensations from there usually travel through the stomach, right? Anyway, if I've come to a decision...and I'm a little confused between the logical choice and the moral issues...or more often, similar logical choices that I've decided on...then I'll go with that gut feeling...from my pants. You may be wondering, "I've gone over all this stuff...but I still feel uneasy about it? Why?" Maybe it's some kind of supernatural force giving you a nudge a certain way, maybe it's a call to do more research and educate your decision, maybe you shouldn't have trusted that undercooked bacon on your burger, whatever it may be, this is kind of the last checkpoint to see if you REALLY should do it. I'm not going to lie, the Wang (or gut or whatever) can mislead you...but so can everything else. That's the thing about decision making. You can just know that you made the best decision that it seemed like at the time...and go from there.


Basically, you can think about it all you want...and believe me, I think too much and I know it...but you may be torn in different directions for whatever reason. Your friends & family are there for you (and if not, talk to me, I'm allegedly a great listener) but when it boils down to it, your decision is going to be your decision...so don't deny those instincts that creep up every once in a while. Please, whatever you do, don't choose NOT to do something because you think that you're going to fail. You should never have that image during the decision making process. Yes, I know it's entirely optimistic...but if you're already thinking like that, then it's going to seriously alter your decision making process. Have confidence in your abilities...and if you've researched properly, then you'll realize that you can do anything that you want to do and put your mind to. Anyway, that's really the simple process by which I think that a lot of men think...but then again, I may be complicating it entirely too much. Like I said, I think too much...but personally, this is what it boils down to.


Example of My Practice - Las Vegas, Nevada



Executive Decision - Now, I've bored you to death over the past few months with my Pros & Cons lists, my friends' Pros & Cons lists, comparisons to other possible cities & areas from San Diego to New Orleans to Germany, tales of my investigational trips to Las Vegas, perspectives from both my eccentric fun side and logical side as a place of living, a Movie List (which I know I haven't done in a while), how Nicolas Cage must own stock in Vegas (even the preview for his new "Bangkok Dangerous" had neon, I noticed), even tales of the economy (which in my target areas has fallen on some hard times since March), and even stuff that I haven't mentioned on this blog include searching for living quarters, grocery stores, good neighborhoods, freeway conditions, and all the usual stuff that people look into when they're looking to move...so that part has been done...and it still appears to be a great idea...but just slightly altered from the original search because my "future employer" from March may not be as financially stable as anticipated...but they're not the only game in town by any means.


Legislative Decision - No real objections to the moral code other than I'll obviously have to watch myself with regards to addictions like drugs, alcohol, gambling, women, video games, selfishness, television, and all the usual stuff...but I do that here in Utah pretty well. The main concern here is that I'll be moving away from my family, friends, coworkers, casual acquaintances, doorbell ringing neighbor kids, the chicks that cut my hair, and all the other people that I know. I will be on my own. Does this frighten me? Not to the point of pee-pee scared because I'm a big boy...but yeah, it does a little. How do I overcome that concern? They'll visit me in Vegas. They'll do it gladly. I know this. They'll send me emails, text messages, voicemails, maybe even write me a handwritten letter because they know that I'd appreciate it...and write them back something optimistic, light-hearted, hilarious, and at the very least - interesting. (Delusion helps) Also, there are millions of people there in Las Vegas too...and though I only know a few right now (Bubbles, Barb, Keanna, HT, etc) when I'm actually there, I'll meet many wonderful new people who will have the pleasure of my company. So the decision...is that it's a good idea. Is it the best decision? No way to tell. Is it a selfish decision? A little bit...but it meets my moral code and the people that care about me understand...and are supportive...even if they'd rather spend time with me in town (like the last six months since I first voiced this decision). I'm always there for my peeps.


Judicial Decision - Obviously, the Wang loves the decision of going to Las Vegas. Good memories from past visits, Crazy Girls, Crazy Horse II, lots of heat, lots of pools, lots of swimsuits, international selection of women to choose from, flights going in & out filled with crazy girls looking for good times & weekend flings, instant gratification is a way of life, so the constant potential for excitement makes me tingle all over...but that's not the only reason. The city is always moving, changing, transforming, adapting, flowing, rushing, altering, fluctuating, like a metamorphic amiable chameleon. Now, that can be frightening if you're looking for stability and monotony...but if you have confidence in your abilities and you're looking for new things, gaining new perspectives, wonderful experiences, Passion, testing your metal and skills, stepping outside of your comfort zone, and basically igniting that fire that you've been longing for...then it's an exciting adventure...and you'll surely be entertained during your journey...with your friends, family, and coworkers behind you. That being said, I'd be a fool not to do it, right?


I think so too. That's why I've been trying to do it...but not rushing the decision. I don't want to settle. I want what I deserve damnit. An opportunity to advance my life, my career, my goals, my self, and after a long time continually trying to better myself, I feel like it's time for me to do it...and I think that this journey is going to lead to Las Vegas, Nevada...but when, how, and all the other details will be revealed in due time...because everything happens for a reason. Why haven't I made it there yet? Sure, you can say it's because the economy has restricted and/or eliminated jobs of those already living there, along with the usual progression of technology eliminating the need for blackjack dealers, bartenders, and other people's livelihoods, or that my refusal to settle has kept me from just going down there with a satchel on my back and braving the 120 degree heat to just be down there, or it could just be...it's not my time yet. Maybe I'm not ready for Vegas. Maybe Vegas isn't ready for me. Maybe my future doesn't hold Vegas in it at all (unlikely...but possible). That's why decision making can be so tough for some...because there's so many possibilities...but whatever you decide, go at it whole-headedly, whole-heartedly, and whole...well, just whole-bodied in general for the best results.


By the way, if anybody else has different thought processes, I'd be incredibly intrigued to hear about them. Even if it's just the whole "What's in it for me?" approach...or my flip a coin / dance off / Catapult method. Everybody's unique...and that's what makes us great & interesting.






Well, I've rambled on enough today. As for what happened yesterday, I watched a silly movie and did laundry, dishes, etc. Nothing exciting, I know...but I'll tell you about the movie tomorrow or something. Have a great day everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?