Saturday, August 2, 2008

Giving Blood - Part 6

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

I simply can't believe that I forgot to mention something yesterday that is INSANELY awesome. I blame the Guinness. Regardless, I will be seeing THE Reverend Al Green's concert at Red Butte Gardens next month. I am so excited about it...and that's why I spent the money that I did...because the man is an American Legend...and one of the few artists I listen to that are still alive (as creepy as that sounds). That's why I spent...we'll just say more than $30 to see him. I've also never been to Red Butte Gardens (though lived next door to it for over a year) but I hear good things. SO excited about it. JL Clyde & I are going to have some fun there.

Yesterday, I watched one of my favorite movies as a kid, the "Rocketeer" with Bill Campbell, Alan Arkin, Timothy Dalton (worst Bond ever), and quite possibly the most perfect actress in the world, Jennifer Connelly. I mean...think about it. How can you improve on her? Everybody says that she's one of those classic Hollywood beauties...but she's also a great actress, humanitarian, philanthropist, picks incredible movie roles and always performs at her best, and never has a bad thing to say about ANYBODY. You never hear about her in any of the gossip magazines because she's always talking about boring stuff like recycling and global warming and stuff. Oh...and if you haven't seen this movie, it's about a test pilot (Campbell) who stumbles upon a jet pack and uses it to save the world from Nazis aided by an actor/spy (Dalton). The pilot also has a quirky engineer friend (Arkin) and a superhot actress girlfriend (Connelly) who goes out with the Nazi spy to create some jealousy or something. Anyway, it's Disney.


After the movie, I was thumbing through the On-Demand features and found some things about Comic Con (B wetted my appetite on his blog) and found an interview with Jennifer Connelly and Keanu about the upcoming "The Day the Earth Stood Still" remake. I loved how the director was asked if they were the first choices...and he was like "Oh yeah, Jennifer was #1 from the beginning. No doubt. Then...as we got to looking at things and the process of making the movie, we (the studio) decided that Keanu was the only choice to play Klaatu." Also, if you check out the interview, tell me if you think that A) Jennifer hasn't aged a day since "Rocketeer" in 1991; and B) Keanu's beard looks like pubes glued onto his face in hastily thrown patches. Can't wait for that movie to come out. Love the original.

For the afternoon, my brother & his family stopped by for a few hours. Though my niece Kelaudri & nephew Vinny slept most of the time, I still got to have some fun with Kairi...who was so excited to see me (and my pandas, Scooby Doos, and other simple delights) that she didn't nap the whole time...so got a little grouchy towards the end of the visit. She'll be the Terrible Two in October. She's so damn cute though...and likes her Uncle $teve. Oh, also...Vinny got to sleep in my bed...and he loved it. When he woke up, he was giggling and smiling like I had never seen him before. He's had such problems with his acid reflux and stuff like that since he was born...but it was so awesome to see him smiling...and laughing loudly...and just looking at me like "Thanks playa, this bed was awesome! I gotta get me one of these." The Magic of a Good Nap, ladies & gentlemen. I highly recommend that you experience it. I don't have any pictures of this visit unfortunately...but yeah, good times were had...and that's what's important. After they left, I watched "Bulletproof" with Damon Wayans & Adam Sandler, laughed a whole lot (though I've seen it a few dozen times), and slept like a baby.

This morning, I donated blood yet again. I woke up, had a good breakfast & a bottle of water, then went to the Red Cross. After I checked in, they gave me the materials to read (giving you the many reasons you shouldn't donate) and the lady who checked me in, I didn't hear the whole conversation, but once she started yelling stuff like, "She called me lazy. I can't believe that. I'm so outta here. Screw this place." then I just started to think, "I hope she's not the one sticking me." When I finished reading the stuff (for like the 6th time), she came over and apologized, "Sorry you had to hear that." "Oh, it's all good. It happens. No worries." and she walked out the doors.

Then I saw a familiar face, a former coworker from about two years ago was the lady verifying my information. "You look familiar?" "(Employer)?" "That's right. You're $teve." "Yup, Iliana, right?" While she went through the questions and pricked my finger and took my blood pressure, we caught up a little bit...and I told her about how work has changed in the past two years (she was glad she left) and how I'm trying to go to Vegas (unsuccessfully so far) and how she's liking her new job (not very much). Good times. I think we cheered eachother up though...and that's good. Still think the little quiz that they make you take...makes you realize how lame you are...but safe, I guess. "Have you injected yourself with anything not prescribed by your doctor?" "What? No!" "Have you ever been to Africa?" "Not yet." "Have you had sexual contact with anybody who has been to Africa?" "Mmm...brown sugar. (Sigh) No." "Have you had sexual contact within the last 12 months?" "That's none of your Goddamn business, computer. Are you trying to make me inject something into my arm? Do you want me to exchange money, goods, or services for sex? I would LOVE to spend a few months in countries outside the United States or Canada. Are you gonna pay for it? This interview is over." Word to the wise, don't argue with the computer out loud when there are nurses five feet away. They wonder about you.

For the actual sticking, it was a lady named Shawnee (like the tribe) who luckily knew a little something about needles...because she had some interesting piercings on her face. She didn't seem to be having a cheerful day...but it's really hard to tell early in the morning. Also, what is it with the eyebrow piercings? Are they really cool and I just think they're funny? Maybe I'm just not hip or something...but I keep wanting to say something like "Oh my God, is that staple holding your face on?" Out of concern of course, because I've been there...but then I realize it's those little ball things at the ends and it assume it's some fashion thing. Anyway, she was very efficient...and despite seeming a little disconnected, we made some small talk. "Seen any good movies lately?" "Just the Dark Knight...like everybody else." "Oh yeah, I haven't seen it yet...but everybody talks about it. I'm just not into comic book movies." "Well, as far as comic book movies go, this is one of the better ones...but yeah, if you don't like them and don't want to be a sheep, you may wanna check out something else. You could be original and watch something that nobody saw...like that Eddie Murphy movie, Meet Dave. Or Space Chimps. Monkeys on rocket ships are always interesting." I got a laugh out of her. Mission accomplished. So I gave my blood in five minutes and twelve seconds, had a few cans of Welch's White Grape Peach juice (so good...and sounds so sexy) and drove home without event. Didn't even get lightheaded this time. That's two in a row. Yay me!!! Did you know that every time you give blood, you can help MULTIPLE people?

Also, while drinking plenty of fluids and avoiding heavy lifting, I watched a nice little marathon on the Travel Channel about Asia...and China in particular...and it basically just makes me want to go back and experience it again...preferably with family & friends this time. There was a special about a Royal Carribean tour that I've been looking into (Vietnam, Hong Kong, Thailand, China, Japan, etc.) then Samantha Brown had hour-long special about Chengdu, Xian, Beijing, all of which I have been to...but would love to go back and experience again. It's an incredible experience. One of these days, I'll go through the five hours of video, thousands of pictures, and continue to search for my Lost Journal of China and try my best to convey all the stories, sights, wonders, legends, and just as much of the voyage as I can...but it may take a long while. I wish that I could just take you all with me next week (while the exchange rate's still pretty good) but until I get some job that pays me eight-digits a year, that's probably not going to happen...but you know me, I'm optimistic. I'll certainly keep you posted. Maybe tomorrow I can find some time between chores & work to get some stuff done with that. Anyway, let me know if you're interested in something like that.


Anyway, that should do it for today. Yeah, I know today was kind of boring...but maybe I'll find something more interesting to do...besides work...and long to go back to China. Maybe I'll just babble stories from memory...and in no particular order...like a Tarantino movie. You can piece them together when you read it for the fourth or fifth time. No? Not cool? Okay, well someday I may stumble upon my journal. Should've kept it in the same book as my real journal. Oh well, you live you learn. Have a great day everybody!!!


No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?