Sunday, August 24, 2008

Playing Games Meant Kick Around

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Friday after work, I talked with Lilie about her future employment options...of which she has many and ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO WORRY but you know, you worry when it's a big move. Is it the right choice? Am I going to enjoy it? Where will I live? Can I afford it? What is that smell? What are the neighbors like? Is this place better? Will my family visit? Where did I leave my keys? Should I move anyway? What will my parents think? All the usual questions that one asks themself when considering a move to another city. Except me. I don't have time for all these questions...so I skip 'em...but I'm always glad to help others. She'll make the right choice though.

Then my mom called from the airport, so I went and picked her up...and because it took so long for her to get her luggage (sound familiar) at the baggage claim, we got out of there just in time to drive through traffic heading north on I-15. While coasting at a lovely 5 MPH, we talked about this and that...and after about 2.5 hours, we ended up at the lovely Powder Mountain Ski Resort and the quaint Columbine Inn for my mom's 50th birthday party. Now, my stepdad was supposed to set things up...because he has absolutely nothing else to do...but he didn't, so my mom & I had to set everything up. Now, I don't want to use the phrase "worthless as tits on a bull" because even those are for decoration...but I wanted to punch him in the stomach...because I was really hungry and was expecting to get my burger on by the time that I brought the guest of honor...but instead I had to do everything on an empty stomach (so no alcohol...well, very little) and we didn't have burgers until around 9 PM. I mean...there wasn't even a grill or condiments, he just brought the raw ground beef. I know that he likes his bacon rare...but damnit Janet. Anyway, enough of that, here are some pictures of the resort...
See how close the clouds are?
Some of the family that showed up...
My mom's really happy...and apparently excited...

After WE got everything set up, I got over it...and had a few drinks from our selections of beer, premium malt beverages, jungle juice, margaritas, and...basically whatever else was passed around. "What's this?" "Good question." "Sounds good, let's try it." Now, my brother was up there for about an hour but ended up taking the kids (who were brought for some reason) home and so there was me, my sister-in-law (she was the one that brought everything in from my stepdad's truck while he...I don't know what he did all day...probably sleep), and a bunch of my aunts, uncles, grandma, and basically a bunch of relatives some 20-50 years older than me. They told stories reminiscing about the 60's and my sister-in-law and I just kind of sat and listened and laughed. They talked about stupid stuff that they did as kids and it was awesome. Oh yeah, we watched a little of the Olympics too...and "National Treasure" was playing in the background...but nobody paid attention. Eventually we all fell asleep and I had my own room in the Columbine Inn. It was standard. Nothing out of the ordinary...and definitely in need of an upgrade (circa 1972) but was very spacious and prime location on a beautiful ski resort...though luckily no snow this day.

Saturday morning, I woke up (thanks to the soul-piercing voice of my Aunt Pat that I can't stand...ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BUILDING...like four rooms and a floor between us...but it still made it), had some breakfast, and on the way down to my mom's house, I got cell phone reception back...and I had a few messages. One of which was Mrs Wingman saying happy birthday to my mom...and asking for her phone numbers again. Another was Bubbles, who was having a particularly bad day. Called them back...and all the others...but yeah, it's funny what happens when you don't have a cell phone for a few hours when that's all you have to contact you...or email. Remember when a letter in the mail or a weekly phone call from home was the only way to keep in touch? No? Well, I used to have a rotary phone as a kid...and my friends would come over, then call their parents to see if they could stay longer...and then just be mystified as to how to use it...but once you showed them, they thought it was the coolest thing ever. Anyway, when was the last time that you wrote a letter to somebody. Not just a postcard either, a real letter...maybe with a few tears making the paper all wrinkly and crispy? Yeah, I haven't since I was a kid...but that's mostly because my penmanship is like ancient Sanskrit and only I can read it...so I have to resort to pictures titled "El Gatto" and hope that they just call me back to find out what's going on. Oh, sometimes I wish I was a punk rocker...with flowers in my hair. Okay, not really...but point of that song pops up every once in a while. Thanks for the CD, JL Clyde.

I had a date to get to...so I went to the Athenian, a great authentic Greek restaurant on Historic 25th Street in Ogden. Now, 25th Street has changed a lot since I grew up and lived in the Ogden area...more than a decade ago. It's been cleaned up and now they have the painted horse things and the restaurants are still nice...and the building are still really old and cool in their own way. The food at the Athenian was great. I had the Mezedaki Plate which had dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), rice pilaf, Pastitso (like a Greek lasagna), and some meatballs things. Great stuff. However, you don't care about that...because you want to know how the date went. Right?

Well, this was the dental hygienist that my mom set me up with...and I like to take first dates to somewhat exotic restaurants, just to expand their horizons a bit and try something new. Greek's usually pretty good because it's similar to other Mediterranean cuisines so if you get a combo plate (like I did) and they don't like what they ordered, you can share. Another delusional reason for doing this...is that even if it doesn't work out with you two, a few years down the line, they may be hanging with friends and their friend will say, "Oooh, let's get some Greek food." "Oh man, I haven't had Greek food since...oh that tall guy $teve took me a few years back. Good stuff. Man, I should've f**ked him. He was so cute and charming and...huge. What the hell was I thinking? He's probably still single because he was such a gentleman. Maybe I'll give him a call."

As for the date, we talked and got to know eachother a little bit. I let her do as much talking as I could (because I was really hungry...oh and interested) and we talked about school, family, foods we liked, you know, all the usual first date stuff...and I was my usual charming self to keep it lively and a smile on her face. Long story short though, she was nice but really shy and we had a good time...but there wasn't really a spark or anything between us...on either end. We were only there for about an hour because she had a family reunion to get to...but next time I'm in town, we may meet up again. I did mention that Vegas was a possible path for my career (not the first time I've used that) so we shall see. I wouldn't expect too much out of it though...and a few years from now, she may be talking with her friends and say "Oh, I haven't had Greek food since..."

After that, I went to my brother's for a few hours and...didn't do much except have fun with my niece Kairi and nephew Vinny. Those kids get cuter every day. Kairi's starting to get the words to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" down...and really like messing around with her crazy Uncle $teve. Vinny's starting to like doing things with his tongue like I show him too. Remember, I use this to distract little kids when they're crying & screaming...because you can't really do it with your tongue out and wagging. Another free parenting tip in case you missed it the first time. No need to thank me, just pay it forward. After a few hours, I decided to go home, then JL Clyde & Esther stopped by and they baked me brownies, we watched some "Iron Chef America" (which I think is...not my favorite, played some Rock Band, and even capped it off with some Venture Brothers (great adult swim cartoon). Here are some pics of Vinny and Pooh Bear that he shares with Kairi...

Today, I'm doing laundry...and getting some stuff done around the house. It's been a few weeks. Work tomorrow, manager certification interview on Tuesday, work the next four days after that, and then maybe a Fraggle Rock Band party on Monday, September 1st (Labor Day Night) because my coworkers have the day off and they may have nothing to do that night. Let me know if you're interested. I have a mini-keg of high-point Heineken and I can't possibly drink it all myself. In the meantime, have a great day everybody!!!

6 comments:

JLee said...

That is some GORGEOUS scenery! Looks like a good time. Vinney is still cute as ever and I think I am about to purchase Rock Band for my daughter's birthday in October.

$teve said...

Thanks JLee. You may want to wait a little for Rock Band 2 though. They'll have AC/DC, "Eye of the Tiger", "White Wedding", and lots of other songs. Check it out...

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63006

I think September 15th is the release date for most formats.

j.l. clyde said...

ACTUALLY Steve, we baked the brownies for US... you just happened to be there :) Glad you liked them. And the CD. I wish I had flowers in my hair, too.

$teve said...

I see how it is. Well, I ended up eating most of the brownies...so there. :)

Alisa said...

It's in the air, I baked brownies (again) too! That Powder Mountain place looks fun. Something about a cabinesque place up in the mountains, hope your mom had a happy birthday.

Okay I'm leaving now because your salty balls song is frikkin distracting (:

$teve said...

Great song...but I don't take credit for it. I do a mean karaoke version if you're ever interested. My first and only trip to Provo...such memories. :)

Those Brownies are addictive...and they don't even have the marijuana in them...usually. :)

Where Should I Go Next?