Thursday, August 21, 2008

Arte y Pico Award

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

I briefly mentioned yesterday that I had received a fairly prestigious award (FINALLY) for my web-based journal / blog. It seems that in her infinite wisdom, fellow blogger Jlee has given me the Arte y Pico Award. Now, though the link was primarily in Spanish, allegedly this award is given because of one's ability to inspire other bloggers and spawn the creative process through this sphere of online amateur entertainment...


Upon receiving this award I must follow these five rules:


  1. You have to pick 5 blogs that you consider deserve this award through creativity, design, interesting material, and also contributes to the blogger community, no matter of language.

  2. Each award should have the name of the author with a link to their blog.

  3. Award winners have to post the award with the name and link to the blog of the person who gave them the award.

  4. Please include a link to the Arte Y Pico blog so that everyone will know where the award came from.

  5. Tell five little known facts about yourself.

**********************************************

So here are my list of inspiring honorees and why…in no particular order other than alphabetical...



  1. B's Microsuede - This is the blog that inspired me to start mine. I was introduced to it by Camb…and then I thought, "Hell, I can do that" and have been trying to ever since…but not nearly as well because he's just so damn funny and has an amazing perspective of life. He's an incredibly creative person and I can't wait until he hits it big in Hollywood (or Bollywood) and I can say, "I know that kid. We got drunk a few times back in the day." I really enjoy his narrated & illustrated travels, odd conversations with random people, beautiful pictures of neon, and obsession with orangutans. Let it be known. Though it's a great blog, it will in no way help you get stains out of your Microsuede.


  2. Bone Junior - She's a hottie construction worker with rockin' tatas (even before her recent enhancement) who drives 'Stangs with personalized plates and loves Elvis, Chuck Norris, Batman, and the Philadelphia Eagles…not in any particular order. What's not to like? Oh yeah, she's also hilarious, witty, loves her family & friends, has nothing but nice things to say about people (who deserve it), raises money for charity, and is always a good read. Be sure to stop by and wish her luck with her recovery (still a little sore).


  3. BSUWG - He sums it up best as a "perpetual smart ass, formerly medicated, balding, real problem with authority, politically independent, rational, creative, golden handcuffed to my job, husband of a vampire, prone to philosophization, foul-mouthed father, Guinness lover, pyro, frustrated cat owner, tickler of ivories, digger of that whole New Orleans gris-gris scene, marketing dude" but he also has fun & insightful looks at…well, everything. His imaginary conversations with superhotties (including his favorite, Zooey Deschanel) are always interesting…and let me know that I'm not the only eccentric out there having conversations with myself. He's also a very talented writer…and he's willing to make you a full-sized banner for the top of your blog (though I'm still waiting for mine…but he's quite busy). I would highly recommend checking this guy out if you don't already.


  4. Lis & D - I am a sucker for cute baby pictures and silly thoughts, great stories, and even a few heartfelt tear jerkers. Alisa does not disappoint. The loving tales of her wonderful family and newborn Croz are simply a pleasure every chance that I get to read…and she comments on my blog occasionally…which I am also a sucker for. It's a shame that I don't get to spend my days at work BS'ing with her anymore…but it's better for her, so it's all good. She still invites me to see her husband play reggae music at Huka Lounge just about every Thursday night…except for tonight because of the Rock Band Party (no Fraggle Rock this time). Anyway, at the very least, check out her handsome little man Croz.


  5. Mediocre Gatsby - What can I say about Gats that hasn't been sprawled upon bathroom walls all across the nation? He's incredibly creative and funny…but with a heart the size of Andre the Giant's hands. You never ever know what you're going to get from day to day…but you're going to enjoy it. It's like an advent calendar around Christmas time…only it's year-round like Christmas should be. One day, it's about hypothetical short stories that may or may not be based in reality, the next day it's Cobra Kai, after that it's beards made of bees, later that week it's wondering if Sting the wrestler gets confused with Sting the singer. He also has a wide array of other blogs with his own personal view of Religion, Robots, Art, Time Travel (no longer exists), and a few Comic Strips. Very creative…and must have a lot of free time…but still, fantastic.

Here are the "little known facts" about myself…since you probably now all you've ever wanted and so much more about me already…



  1. I played basketball religiously for about fifteen years of my life. From ages 8 to 23, I balled like it was a full-time job…and was really, really good (probably still am though I haven't played for a few years). That being said, I was never picked for a high school team (small town BS), made a collegiate practice squad (despite suffering alcohol poisoning the weekend before tryouts and my sweat smelled like tequila), and even tried out for a few semi-pro teams and that And1 Mix Tape Tour when it came to town in 2004. Ever heard of the Utah Snowbears? Almost made that team…but alas it was not to be…and they didn't even last a full year anyway. After that, the dream pretty much died…and I really haven't played even a pick-up game in years. Not that I wouldn't, just haven't. Maybe I should start balling again. I'm sure to get picked. I'm HUGE…and tall too.

  2. I have a little bit of a twitch where I duck my head a bit when I walk through doorways. The reason - Most doorways are about 6'6" tall…and I am about 6'8" so just to be safe and not get a minor concussion, I do a little dip of the noggin going through doorways...sometimes even if they're giant 8-foot doorways or something. Just a reflex. It kind of happens around corners too…because I've been hit low coming around them by shorter people and I prefer to see the hit coming. Sure, this all stems from the fairly well-known fact that I’m tall…but it goes along with the fact that I usually have to order my size 14 shoes and 34 x 42 pants online because most stores don't carry them (even Big & Tall with the pants).

  3. I'm a bit of a prude. I know, you probably don't believe me…but it's absolutely true. I may talk a big game on this blog…but the truth is that I was well into my 24th year when I had my first sexual experience and I have turned down MANY more offers than I have accepted, thus making me a bit of a prude. I know how it feels, ladies. That being said, I'm a very passionate and giving lover that is very open-minded and willing…and that is only known by a select few.

  4. I talk to animals. Not like Dr. Doolittle, because that would be talking with animals, like having a real two-way conversation. Rather I mean that I'll talk to a dog or cat and try to have conversation…but basically I'll end up assuming what their blank stare means. "What do you think I should do? If you were walking in my shoes, instead of pooping in them, what would you do?" Blank stare. "So you think that I should just stick with what I'm doing?" Blank stare. "Look, I hear what you're saying. I'm just trying to clarify that that's where you stand." Blank stare with nudge for petting. "You're right. I’m overthinking it. I should just go with the flow…and what my heart tells me. You're always such a good kitty." It's not just animals either. I have full conversations with my nieces & nephew the same way. Kairi's starting to get really good at it…as long as there's nothing shiny nearby. Her answer to most things is high fives, kisses, candy, naps, or head butts. So much like her Uncle $teve. Oh…and most disturbing is that I have conversations with myself a lot…like out loud…and the neighbors have caught me a few times…and I'm usually pretty charismatic & charming about it…but that may explain why they don't talk to me that much. Am I crazy? A little schizophrenic? Perhaps…but I figure as long as I’m aware of it, then I'm not admittable. I just have outer-inner mono-dialogue or something. That's what my therapist says...but then again, my therapist always wants me to run my fingers through her hair, insists on sitting on my lap, purring incessantly, and licks herself without regard for who's watching. Tell me that's not hot.

  5. In honor of a post by Mediocre Gatsby fairly recently, I used to think that somehow…Sting the Wrestler and Sting the Singer were the same person. How did I account for this obvious difference in not only musical abilities…but mere size? Face paint and a body suit…and I was sure that the singer was a (not so) secret identity for the wrestler…like Bruce Wayne to Batman. By the way, I watched wrestling when I was very young and stupid. Sting had the yellow & blue face paint. Apparently, he later turned into the Crow. I mean…it was wrestling to begin with, right?


Also, because this entry isn't particularly fun or entertaining (unless you actually check out some of the links) I'm going to end with a non-work appropriate link shown to me by another great blogger Doc, who just missed the list but you should definitely check out his blog because it's fun, lovely, and dedicated to the culture of beer...and he's just a sweet guy with a big heart like myself, so unless you want all guys to be arrogant self-centered dicks, I suggest you patronize us. Oh, and the link is called Duck Walks Into a Bar. Check out these hilarious short stories...and enjoy.


One last thing before I go, I would like to wish a very special 30th birthday to my mom. She was extremely young when she had me...and she's in the glorioius city of Parsippany, New Jersey working today...but tomorrow we shall have a wonderful party in her honor after I pick her up from the airport. By the way, it's really the entry into the HCC (Half-Century Club) that we're celebrating for her...but I'm just trying to keep my blog consistent since I said she turned 29 last year. Call her up and sing Happy Birthday to her. I can give you the number. Have a great day everybody!!! Hope to see you at the Rock Band party tonight!!!

Me & My Mommy

Okay, this isn't my mom...but it's my blog...

Mom & my Stepdad

My mom likes big cocks...

...and Balls

The King & the Princess

Love you mom!!!

4 comments:

Alisa said...

Aw, forgot about your party ): Maybe next one!

Hey, will you text me your mom's email? Does she often check her email? I have a little something to send her pour le jour speciale.

$teve said...

I'm going to have to ask Lilie how you say that...but as long as it doesn't mean "French Virus" then I'll send you her email. :)

Don't worry about missing the party. I might be having another one on Labor Night. Stay tuned for details...

JLee said...

Thanks for playing along ;)

$teve said...

Thanks for inviting me...and introducing me to Coby, Mel, and the others as well. :)

Where Should I Go Next?