Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ducks Fly Together

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

Last night, I watched an interesting little movie that didn't get a whole lot of billing called "Doomsday" starring Rhona Mitra, Bob Hoskins, and Malcolm McDowell. The story is that in 2008 (yes, it came out a few months ago) there's a deadly virus that infects Scotland, so the rest of the UK build a giant wall (conveniently along the old wall they used to separate them during the Middle Ages) and quarantine them for about thirty years. Well, then in 2035 or so, the virus is now in London...and a brilliant scientist that was quarantined (McDowell) may have a cure...but during the generation of isolation, Scotland has become an apocolyptic wasteland that's Mad Max one minute and Castles & Knights the next. A kick-ass superhottie (Mitra) is the only hope to find a cure before it's too late for London...and the world. It's actually a great little gory guilty pleasure kind of a flick...like I said, it's Mad Max...with a dash of Resident Evil...a smidgen of Warriors, gladiator fight scenes, eccentric craziness, car chases, political conspiracy, big explosions, funny accents, token Black English guy, futuristic technology meets blunt objects and molotov cocktails kind of fun...if you're into that kind of stuff...which I am. Just remember that a little disbelief may be required at some points. I would recommend it if you like that kind of stuff. Oh...and did I mention that this lady is the kick-ass superhottie sent to get scientist? Becaues that's kind of important...and really really hot...



Today was the first day of manager training...and it was a lot of fun and extremely helpful. Met some great people and possible future contacts, learned a few things about methods in motivating, and there's more of it tomorrow. That being said, it involved seeing the Locker Room pep talk scene from "D2: The Mighty Ducks" by Emilio Estevez. You know the one. "Why? Because Ducks fly together!" I also learned more in the Art of Scarfing (girl ties, not binge eating), and I got to coach people in the making of a paper airplane...and yes, I did use terms like "Fuselage", "Integrity", "Lift/Drag Ratio", and "Aerodynamics" but surprisingly...I refrained from saying "Cockpit" or doing any "Airplane!" jokes. Good times. We also had lunch at a place that I'd like to recommend called the Chubby Toad Grill. A former boss of a boss started this company when my workplace became...well, questionable back in January...and it's some great wraps. I had a Spicy Thai Pork Tenderloin wrap and some mashed potatoes in a red pepper reduction sauce...and they were exquisite. They officially open on Monday...but go check that stuff out. It's great food at a great price. They also do catering. Do yourself a favor...and make sure that you try the taters in reduction sauce. I guarantee you won't regret it.

After work, I spent a few hours with my Aunt Pat and 12-year old cousin Alicia. Now, I love my family. I really do. You all know this. However, I simply cannot stand being around my Aunt Pat for too long. She's just...everything is always negative, she has this piercing high-pitched bitchy voice (even when she's not particularly bitchy which is rare) and it just pierces through straight to my soul...and makes me die a little inside. She complains about EVERYTHING...and I'd love to challenge her to find somebody who cares that her mashed potatoes were a little overdone and gravy isn't the best...but I know that she wouldn't and it would just make her bitch more. Also, my cousin Alicia is pretty much like her. Neither has inner monologue. Now, picture the ramblings of my blog...but not funny and/or interesting (it's easy if you try) and including stuff like, "this seat isn't very soft" or "I like tacos (while we're at a gritz & gravy kind of restaurant) but they don't have any wraps." Just every little thing...and it's always negative and it always just drives me nuts...because you'll try to have a conversation but my aunt's the only one that talks and I'm the only one that listens. She has plenty of advice to give other people...but is much too conceited to head the advice of others. I found out tonight too...that in her SUV, the center console is literally OVERFLOWING with coupons. Not a few stacked up...but the thing is FULL plus about three inches thick and the top of the console just kind of sit on it keeping it down (really pushing it forward onto the ground). I thought it was funny for some reason. Not that she's clipping coupons...but that she's a packrat...and borderline OCD or something. Also, my little cousin has a crush on me...which is weird on many, many levels. She's a kid though. It happens. Really couldn't wait until the meal was over because my aunt was going on and on about her mashed potatoes having gravy on them and it was supposed to be a baked potato and Alicia didn't need a diet Coke and greasy food makes her sick (then why the hell did we go to Anna's Restaurant where they had a Bacon & Eggs special and you ordered pork chops?) Yeah, it's over now...and I'm gonna have a drink before bed. Love my family...but cheese & rice...

Kind of a quick one today...but more training tomorrow...and frankly you probably don't want to hear any more from me anyway. Have a bite at the Chubby Toad Grill. The name may be...questionable, but the food is spectacular...and tell the owner Greg that $teve (or Dr. Mookie Love) said what's up. Maybe he'll gimme a free wrap for lunch sometime. Have a great night everybody!!!

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Steve! Doomsday was not a good movie! The only good part of the movie was the Bentley at the end.

$teve said...

The Bentley was nice...but I liked it for what it was Jewels, a crazy insane action car chase movie.

P.S. Speaking of movies that we hold different opinions in, you still haven't watched Pootie Tang...and I held up my end of the bargain by watching BOTH Playing by Heart AND Steel Magnolias. Just putting that out there...

Where Should I Go Next?