Monday, May 18, 2009

And the First Pick Goes To...

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Yesterday was a pretty chill day. I slept in a bit, moved the furniture around in my apartment a bit & have finally started putting up some decorations, and then I called to see what my dad was up to...and he had just finished doing a Harley charity run, so we decided to hang out and watch Game 7 of the Celtics/Magic playoff series. I also got to listen to my stepmom talk about her "experience" camping trip to the Valley of Fire near Vegas...and basically sweat all day in hundred degree desert temperatures, then dance around a fire all night. I'm thinking this is one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences for her. I thought she knew that you slept during the day when you're in or near Vegas. She has so much to learn. So yeah, the game was okay...and the Magic won.

I also thought it was REALLY odd that just about every commercial during the game was about Kobe & LeBron. Not seperately...but together...like there may be some kind of conspiracy to have the two of them meet in the Finals or something...just throwing that out there. All the announcers were already talking about it...and my dad & I were like, "Ugh...the defending champions are on TV right now. Remember last year when you were talking about the Celtics & Lakers in the Finals since Christmas? Can you at least wait until it's not blatantly obvious that's what the plan is." Speaking of which, my prediction for tomorrow...for the NBA Draft Lottery...is the the number one pick goes to the Oklahoma City Thunder. Why, you ask? The number one pick is going to be Blake Griffin, that's a given. Who was raised in Oklahoma...went to the University of Oklahoma...and will play professionally in Oklahoma...because he's the marketable name in the draft. Think LeBron going to his hometown Cleveland Cavaliers...or even this last year when Derrick Rose went to his hometown Chicago Bulls. Maybe it's just luck...but that's my prediction. P.S. Tyler Hansborough's playing for the Bobcats next year. No matter where they pick in the lottery, whether number two or number ten. Write it down. So let it be written...

Anyway, enough about my sports business conspiracy theories, the other day I finally watched a movie that I was really excited to see when I first heard about it...and then quickly died down when I heard the details...and then completely fizzed out when other people watched it opening weekend & I respect their opinions. What movie is this, you ask? "The Day the Earth Stood Still" remake. Now, the original is a classic...and if you haven't seen it, I'm sorry to hear that. Great flick. This one...is surprisingly boring & slow-paced. Now I can spend all movie watching Jennifer Connelly stare in complete amazement with those beautiful sapphire peepers of hers (and pretty much had to for half the movie) but the rest of the movie was...well, not good. Keanu was born to play Klaatu...but that's not really a compliment. John Cleese was in the movie...for two minutes. Gort was...I mean, why did they even try messing with it? Seriously. I'm still scratching my head as to why Will & Jada's kid is even in the movie other than to be annoying as hell. He's the Jar Jar of this movie...and I hate to wish the end of the human race starting with a ten-year old...but it somehow got to that point. I don't know, it didn't really appeal to me at all. Still the best movie of the day...but that was only because it was up against W & Twilight. Again, not really a compliment. Watch the original. It's better written...and executed, even without the CGI and multi-million dollar budget. Now, for something that's going to really make you scratch your head...

Keanu Update - Keanu Reeves is attached to star in a contemporary retelling of Robert Louis Stevenson's classic novella "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" for Universal Pictures says The Hollywood Reporter. Plot details of this interpretation are being kept under wraps, though the story of the doctor who scientifically develops an evil self has been adapted many times before. Justin Haythe ("Revolutionary Road") is penning the script while Nicolas Winding Refn (who?) is in negotiations to direct. The likes of John Malkovich, Kirk Douglas, Michael Caine, Jack Palance, Boris Karloff, Dougray Scott, Leonard Nimoy, Anthony Perkins, James Nesbitt, Christopher Eccleston, Anthony Andrews, Udo Kier and even David Hasselhoff have all played versions of the character over the past five decades...and now, Keanu. I even remember a comedy version of this flick starring Tim Daly & Sean Young...and what was "The Mask" but a similar take on the dichotomy of man, what he presents to the world...and the inquenchable thirst for life, love & power that parches his very soul unless fully emersed in his most primal instincts...but I'm only assuming this one isn't supposed to be funny. Really? Keanu? There are so many great actors out there...and you go with Johnny Utah? Well, I guess it could be worse. Wait, what's that? Another update?

Jekyll & Hyde Update: Part Two - Hot on the heels of the news that a contemporary 'Jekyll and Hyde' film entitled "Jekyll" is in the works with Keanu Reeves, a rival project has sprung up. Forest Whitaker and Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson are attached to play the lead roles in "Jekyll and Hyde", the classic tale about a doctor who invents a potion that unleashes his violent alter ego says Variety. Abel Ferrara (who?) helms this re-imagining which, like its rival, will also have a contemporary setting (no sh*t). Brett Walsh and Randall Emmett are producing. Shooting kicks off later this Summer. So yeah, Forest Whitaker AND Fitty...are going to play what I can only assume is a mix of Jekyll & Hyde & the Nutty Professor.


The good news from all of this though...is apparently, even I could become the director of a major Hollywood remake of Jekyll & Hyde. I could get somebody like...Gary Oldman to do it. No, that'd make too much sense. Wait! I've got it. Zach Efron!!! And it'll be a musical. From the guys who brought you the 40 Year Old Virgin. It simply can not miss. I am a damned genius. I'll invite you all to the ceremony for my star on the Walk of Fame.


That'll do it for the day. If you're bored, I made a "How Well Do You Know $teve?" quiz on the Facebook. I'll probably copy it over her tomorrow if I have nothing better to share. Have a great day everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?