Saturday, May 9, 2009

Signs that I Live In Downtown

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Taking a little break from finishing up my unpacking and cleaning up the apartment a bit in case I get some surprise company...and I'm too lazy to make excuses. "Why is there a mountain of cardboard boxes in the living room?" "Well...because I wanted to watch this season 3 of the Venture Brothers...and before I knew it, three hours had passed. I have no other excuse." It takes a big man to admit that he's lazy...but an even bigger man to do something about it...and I'm a huge man. So yeah, I've been cleaning and trying to arrange so that I can eventually decorate and "bring some color into the home" and am doing a damn fine job at it if I say so myself. Anyway, so yeah the past few nights I've been hanging out with Bubbles & JL Clyde...and walking around town a bit and getting used to the new location. Here are some things that help me to know that I'm in downtown here in SLC...


I am walking distance to just about everything - Bars, restaurants, scenic parks, memorial parks, statues, graffiti, liqour stores, gelato, groceries, antiques, vinyl records, secondhand book stores, Vietnamese food, Vietnamese massage, Vietnamese books, Vietnamese laundry (if I didn't have baby's first washer in my kitchen already), and everywhere you go is like a little adventure...and when the full moon's out, oh yeah.


Neon Lights - One of the appeals of downtown living...is that there's an abundance of the element Neon, truly a noble gas if ever there was one. I can't believe in all my visits to Vegas that I haven't visited the Neon Museum there...but maybe that'll be the next visit. Regardless, these lights make for some beautiful pictures...and can usually lead a weary soul towards something nice in the late hours...whether a drinking establishment or something with a lot of X's in the window.


Protesters - I am actually listening to somebody b**ch about something a few blocks away...and I can hear it because of the thin mountain air and a megaphone. Take it elsewhere, Preachy. Not that I'm an advocate for the Man or anything...but I'm trying to relax on a Saturday afternoon, so unless you're protesting against drunk drivers or rapists or something, I don't want to hear it.


Eery Silence - Walking around just after midnight last night (a Friday), I realized that JL Clyde & I were the only ones on the streets. This usually didn't happen in Denver until about 4 AM because even when they were kicked out of the bars, the party just took to the streets and people were loud. Maybe it was just a slow night in a slow part of town...but then again, tonight's Saturday, so we'll see if it picks up.


Anyway, done rambling. Better get back to making my apartment a home. Probably going to swing up to my mom's to see her for Mother's Day...and I'd like to wish all you Mothers...and even the Mother Lovers out there, a very special Mother's Day tomorrow. You all do so much for us...and I don't think that we can ever show our Love or thank you enough. May you all have smiles as big as crocodiles. Have a great weekend everybody!!! I LOVE YOU, MOM!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?