Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

It's been a fun packed past few days, I must say. Friday night after work, JL Clyde & I got some sushi at Ginza (now a block from my apartment) and then wandered the streets of downtown at the Magic Hour when everything is awesome. We even stumbled upon a wedding in Gallivan Plaza just in time for the chicken dance. I like living in downtown. The wandering is much more interesting than wandering around the suburban streets of the neighborhoods in Murray. Not nearly as relaxing...just more interesting. Where else can you see stuff like this?
Japanese delicacy - Wasabuni
Who knew Abraham Lincoln was a polygamist?
They're literally rolling this building across the street
"Oh THERE'S where I left my boulder..."
If you have to ask why, just stop reading
"I'm at the corner of 300 South and...really?"

After that, we watched "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. As you may have heard, it's the story of a man who is born 80 years old...and ages backwards...and the story of his life. Being a chick flick, there was a certain level of disbelief associated with this movie to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I believe in a thing called Love (just listen to the rhythm of my heart) but when it comes to movies most of the time, it gets pretty ridiculous. Throw in something like a man who ages backwards...and it's a real stretch...but if you're able to handle that...then this is actually a pretty good flick. It's eerily similar to "Titanic" in some ways (told as a flashback from an elderly woman, involves a tragedy, is about three hours long, etc.) but hey, that won a bunch of awards and broke box office records, so you can't hate on that. Sure, it's about twice as long as it needs to be, seeing as it's based on a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald ("The Great Gatsby") but it's beautiful cinematography, an intriguing story and well played. So yeah, if you have three hours to spare and want to watch a drama starring Brad Pitt & Cate Blanchett throughout 80 years...then yeah, I'd highly recommend it.

Saturday, there was to be no Conduit...which is okay because I was told that it actually wasn't a comic book convention...but more of a sci-fi / fantasy / role playing convention. I'm sure it still would've been tons of fun...but I think what JL Clyde & I did was more fun. We started off by getting gourmet cupcakes at Mini's (there's a reason they're two bucks a pop), then headed up to the Museum of Natural History at the University of Utah. Now, I went to the U for four years...and because I was so focused on my studies (and worked 40-50 hours a week to pay tuition), I had no idea that there was a Museum of Natural History there. DINOSAURS were within mere blocks of my dorm room...and I had no idea. For that, I blame the Marketing team of the museum. Believe me, I am well aware of the Dinosaur Park in Ogden (can't wait to take my nieces & nephew there) and all the Dino-tractions out in Vernal...but now, I know about the ones right here at home. Please enjoy...it's toad-ally awesome...
University of Utah - GO RUNNIN' UTES!!!
Portrait of the Baddest Mother Lover of All Time
I want a portrait like this one day
There was a frog exhibit
Froggy style - Like Doggy Style...but in wet suits
That's right, MULTIPLE poison dart frogs in one shot
God bless the Educational Nudity
Only one way to follow Educational Nudity, DINOSAURS!!!
Some cave drawings were more elaborate than others
"Now THAT'S some beef"
This is a prehistoric version of...
This guy

After the museum, we grabbed a burger at Big Ed's across the street from the Museum. It's a nice little burger dive that I hadn't known about either...but they make a good cheap burger...and it's a nice college atmosphere...even though we were the only ones in the place with the cook Linda on a Saturday afternoon. Then we wandered over to Graywhale CD and I bought me a few used CDs like "The Essential Sly & the Family Stone", R. Kelly's "TP3 Reloaded" (yes Filly, the one with "Trapped in the Closet" AND the DVD) for $5 and for $3 I found a CD that I hadn't thought about in years. Does anybody remember the Tony Rich Project circa 1995? Well, his "Words" album was there with his one major hit "Nobody Knows" and that song instantly sprung into my head when I saw the CD (and was stuck there for the rest of the day...and still is a little bit) so I figured that it was a sign to buy it...especially for $3. I'll let you know if the rest of the album was worth it.

Then we drove to the dollar theatre to watch "Coraline" starring the voice talents of Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher & Ian McShane. It was actually a surprisingly cute movie and that stop-motion claymation or whatever it is really appeals to my generation...and I think most generations. It's the story of a girl named Coraline who moves into a new home at the Pink Palace Apartments with her parents and meets some quirky people...and then stumbles upon this magical doorway to an alternate dimension which at first seems like paradise...but then...something's wrong. You'll have to see the flick to find out what happens. It's a kids show...but trust me, the adults will like it too. I say go check it out if you have kids...or are a kid at heart. If not, watch Benjamin Button or something.

Then we went to the "Fairy Park" (couldn't tell you the real name) somewhere in Sugarhouse and wandered through the trails, saw where the gnomes live, listened to the babbling creek that runs adjacent to the trails, sat on a bench, mocked teenage love from afar, drank some Sweet Tea and just had a nice relaxing time. Then we headed to my place, watched a few movies ("Big Lebowski" & "Thank You for Smoking") and then parted ways. Also, it was pouring rain when JL Clyde left...but I have no problem with walking in a warm summer torrential downpour in my shorts & a T-shirt, so I did that...and it was awesome...and I left all the windows in my apartment open just to let that fresh, clean rain scent flow through and invigorate my senses. I like the sound of rain falling (though being in downtown, there were a lot of assholes in my apartments yelling about something because they were drunk...but they eventually stopped). Normally it's like a lullaby just easing my weary mind to sleep. I may not really have a sense of smell...but something about rain just goes straight to my brain...and as you may have guessed, some of the dirty parts. I'm one of those guys who will sing & dance in the rain, stand with my face up & arms out like I'm in a music video, taste the rain (though I know it carries some of the worst stuff you can possibly ingest within it), let the rain just run down my whole body, soak my clothes, then rip them off & run around doing a raindance if I'm out there long enough. If there's a willing woman nearby, I'd obviously make out, make whoopee, make Love, make a baby in the pouring rain...then name that daughter Rainee. Damn, maybe I should be living in Seattle or Portland or Ireland or something. I don't know what it is, I just like the rain...like more than a friend apparently. Anyway, so yeah, great day...and a pretty good night...and the morning smelled like rain.

Sunday, I went to my brother's for a bit and met up with my buddy Isaiah for the first time since his wedding. We caught up, had a few beers & a few shots (of some of the nastiest rum ever) then I headed up to my mom's for a barbecue with her & my niece Kairi & nephew Vinny. Always good to spend time with the family. Here are some pictures...
Never seen water flowing that color before in my mom's creek...
but I did see it in "Dante's Peak" a few years back
Vinny & Kairi

I spent the night at my brother's because my mom apparently didn't want a ride to the airport from me...so Monday, I just hung with my brother and the kids again...and headed over to Isaiah's for a barbecue. He cooked us up some fine brown sugar Buffalo burgers, a few brauts, even some shrimp. The man can work a grill...at least, he thinks so...but he's also a master bullspitter so we believe him. Good times. As the sun started to set, the kids were getting sleepy & therefore cranky, so we took them home. It was getting late so I made my way towards the car. I was saying goodbyes and Kairi said, "Hugs! Unko $teve, hugs!" Of course I wouldn't leave without hugs...so I leaned in, gave her a big hug, then she made a kissy face, so I gave her a smooch, "Bye sweetie, I'll see ya soon, okay?" "Okay." So I started walking towards the door, then I hear her say, "Bye Unko $teve." "Bye sweetie." "I Love You!!!" Ladies, if you EVER want a man's buttery heart to just melt away, all you have to do is tell him that you Love him...and mean every word of it. At least, that's how it is for me. "I Love You Too, Kairi!!!" So yeah, the drive home, I was just on top of the world lookin' down on creation and the only explanation that I could find...was that my little niece, a beautiful sweet & intelligent young lady told me that she loves me. What more could a man ask for?

So yeah, it was a pretty kick-ass weekend full of dinosaurs, cupcakes, barbecue, movies, old friends, new friends, family, rainstorms, music, adventures, toads, the Dude, mystical woodland creatures, guys getting struck by lightning seven times, sweet tea, good times. I hope that you all had a wonderful Memorial Weekend even moreso than mine. Let's see, other than that, I'm finishing up training soon at work, Lilie's visiting this weekend (and I've got Rock Band 2 ready to go when you are), and who knows what kind of zany adventures await next weekend? Or any time between now and then? Have a great day everybody!!!

2 comments:

Lilie said...

$teve, what's a boulder?

$teve said...

A boulder is someone who is more daring than the others. :) Oh...and a fairly large rock. Wait, I think you & the Mad Scientist had this conversation already. :)

Where Should I Go Next?