Thursday, October 16, 2008

First Day in Denver

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

Yesterday started with me blogging a bit, then squaring away a few things around town (returning cable box, talking to landlord, etc.) before heading on my fantastic voyage to Denver. I ended up getting on the freeway around 11:30 or so and really only made stops in Evanston for a Crunchwrap Supreme & Popcorn Chicken, in Rock Springs for some drinks (that I forgot to snag in Evanston), and Laramie to top off the gas tank for the week, get some directions for a scenic route via Hwy 287 (Laramie to Fort Collins direct), and urinate. The rest of the time, my mind was just kind of running through all of the stuff that I was going to have to do, all the people that I was going to miss, how everything's going to go when I get there, the psychic reading that JL Clyde gave me the night before (it's all good), and another thing that came up a lot...was my friend Bubbles. First, just before I got on the freeway, I drove past her old house along the way, then the Cafe Rio that we had lunch at on the Day of Infamy back in January, which got me thinking about helping her check out places in Vegas & Denver in February, then I realized that I was listening to a CD that she gave me entitled "Who Loves Ya Cookie?", even when I was taking a leak in Laramie, I'm in the stall...and what song comes on the speakers? "Fight Outta You" by Ben Harper, which I had only previously heard on her MySpace page and a few times on her iPod. You'll never guess who called me about a half hour after that along the beautiful scenic route...of course, Bubbles checking to see if I was there yet. Anyway, enough about my craziness (won't even get into my self-conversations & singing Li'l Jon songs with seat dancing) here are some pictures...
Scenic Route - Hwy 287
There she is...my new home

I checked in at the hotel (thanks for the last minute directions Mandy) and the room's nice. It has a small kitchen, a bed, a toilet, and wireless internet. That's all I really need...oh, and a shower...this time. Gonna stay here for a few nights because it's in downtown, then I'm going to spend next week at Filly's Aunt's house. I guess I should name her. We'll call her...T-Skittle. Why? Because it's my blog...and skittles are awesome. That first night, I spent about an hour calling and texting people to let them know that I made the drive safe & sound and was ready to start my life as a Denverite. Then I went across the street to Jersey Mike's Subs and got me a delicious Philly Cheesesteak and...an unexpected surprise that just about made me squeal with delight. The surprise...was Tastykakes. Does anybody else out there know what Tastykakes are? (I know, Bone Junior does) They're basically just the most delicious little cake snacks that have ever been made...and they're huge on the East Coast (I know Pennsylvania for certain) but can't seem to find them anywhere in Utah. Well, I found them at the very least at this sub place in Denver...and if they're elsewhere, I may just be 300 pounds by Christmas time. We shall see.

Today I woke up bright and early and started Apartment Search '08 in the nearby community called Capitol Hill, which is very similar to the Avenues in Salt Lake City. How so? It's a lot of historic (old) buildings that were once downtown office buildings now converted to affordable apartments for students, single people, and other people that can't afford big places or downtown lofts. There's a lot of trees and it seems like a surprisingly chill area given that it's so close to major roads. Also, it's right next to the State Capitol and has some cool churches nearby...so yeah, just like the Avenues. Running theme for all of these tours, they have a lot of cute girls giving tours...and being an eyes man, I was not disappointed. Hazel, green, sea blues, even those blues that look like they were bleached a bit...and could probably read your thoughts if they stared at you long enough...which would either make their day or creep them out, oh yeah...there was plenty of eye candy for $teve today...but I was on business, so I remained focused...apparently on their eyes. That's why I took notes, lots of notes.

The first stop was the Mezzo (Horny) Apartments. I remember this one being among the favorites when I was helping Bubbles & JJ look for a place almost a year ago. The building is one of the first skyscrapers in the Denver area and was built "back in the day" like the 30's if I remember right...but has been converted to apartments. The location's pretty good, about a 15-20 minute walk to where I'll be working, Jazz Club on site, gated access, skydeck with grilling area overlooking downtown, free DVD rentals, and wireless internet...but a little pricey for the area that it's in. All in all, not a bad place though. Here are some pictures of the tour given by hazel-eyed hottie Katherine...
Nice kitchen
Big living area
Yes, that's my nemesis - a ceiling fan
My "balcony"
Skydeck

Next stop was the Camellia House...but there was a problem, they didn't have any places that they could show me for at least another week or two...and the rent was about $100 more then I was quoted earlier...but I told them to give me a call when/if something opened up and if I hadn't found a place by then, I might check it out.

Similar situation with the next stop, the Franklin Roosevelt complex...but they had a studio that they could show me...about $100 more than I was told. It's a pretty simple complex, no big pools or anything like that, just apartments. Here are some pictures from the tour by blue-eyed redhead Cindy...
Hardwood floors are nice
The ugh...crapper's behind the door
Two blocks from the State Capitol

The next area that I wanted to check out was right in the thick of it, Downtown Denver. First stop in this region was the A.T. Lewis & Rio Grande Lofts right on the 16th Street Pedestrian Mall & the Convention Center. Just a few blocks from my new job. Now, I had called earlier and they told me that they were primarily for "Affordable Living" subsidies which meant that I was made juuuust enough money last year to not qualify (dammit) but I was going to check out the two-bedroom setup that was really out of my price range...but I was curious because it's another one of those old office buildings with the vaulted ceiling turned into loft apartments...and I love vaulted ceilings like a fat kid loves cake...and you never know, I may stumble upon a roommate in the next few days. Here are the pictures of that tour given by the lovely green eyed lady Patti...
That's the 16th Street Mall out the window

Since I was nearby, I had lunch with Nikki, a new & former coworker at a nearby cafe and we talked about Denver and how cool it is. She's lived here for about a year now and hated it at first...but now she never wants to leave. On the way back to our work (I start tomorrow), she mentioned that in the same building, they had apartments. I was told that...but figured rent must be astronomical given the location and everything. She told me that there are some discounts and that I should at least check it out. I'm glad that I did. The Apartments Denver Place is located in the same building as I work (has its advantages & disadvantages), the rooms were actually some of the more spacious that I've seen, the apartment is located on the 26th floor with a view of downtown & Coors Field, and parking is included with the rent. Here are some pictures of the tour given by the tall lovely blue eyed blonde (and married) Lauren...
Big living area
Enormous Bedroom (which I Love)
A place to hang my suits
I've seen worse bathrooms
The View from the 26th floor

Next stop was the Broadway Plaza about four blocks from my job...conveniently located at what appeared to be the corner of Crack and Cocaine. Okay, there's a little more homeless people than I'm used to in my Slick City life...but I figured it was a bad omen when crossing the street in front there's cop cars zipping by, a small park across the street filled with homeless people sleeping midday and others looking suspiciously like their looking for customers wearing big coats middday, and I was greeted by a police officer kind enough to hold the door for me. Okay, so location wasn't it's best feature...but I was still going to give it a shot. Who knows? It might be pretty nice. The apartments really weren't that bad (save for the exposed concrete walls at some places...but that's why you decorate accordingly), the utilities & parking were included, and there's some good natural light (with views overlooking the afforementioned intersection) so here are some pictures from the tour given by the only gentlemen of the day, a dark-haired, brown-eyed man with a mustache who's name I didn't write down...so we'll call him Fred...
Nice kitchen
Bedroom's small
Shower has adjustable hose & handlebars...ladies
At least I know there are sprinklers...
Oh yes, that's concrete...and it's everywhere

Last stop in downtown was the Ballpark Lofts near Coors Field, home of the Rockies. Just a few blocks from the last place...and online the rates were a bit out of my range...but they allegedly had employee discounts as well. So I walked in, was greeted by several lovely ladies (nice start), and was given a tour by a girl with those bleached blue eyes named Shea. It's a great community, modern for the area, central courtyard area with pool, firepit, and the like. Rooms were pretty nice and recently renovated...with my floorplan being dubbed The Big Show. Alas, the location was still along Crack Boulevard and further from my job...and more importantly, there were no discounts and the bedroom was pretty small. Still pretty nice though. Here are the pictures...
Not my living room...but similar
So...it's like a studio...but with that divider thing in the way
Walk-in closet / Vanity / Bathroom Combo
Skydeck overlooking Coors Field

The last place that I checked today was about three miles west of where I'll be working, across the freeway but on the RTD line that would take me into town. Now, when I was asking people that lived there about where the bad parts of town are. They mentioned to me two streets consistently...and those were Colfax Avenue & Federal Highway. Well, at the intersection of Colfax & Federal is The Overlook at Mile High, which looked pretty nice online, so I thought that I'd give it a shot. I'm a little glad that I did. Sure, the surrounding neighborhood isn't the best...but it wasn't the worst either. The complex itself has a giant steel gate surrounding it and all the towers are secured with a patrol at night. All the apartments have patios or balconies and it's reasonably priced compared to some of the places downtown. The only concerns would be taking the lightrail into town, coming back at a late hour, and maybe picking up some Spanish...but I've been in that situation before. Here are the pictures from the tour by an older lady...but still with those bleached blue eyes, Kimberly...

After that, I was exhausted, it was about 5 PM so all the complexes were closing up shop...and the only places that I had left were a bit of a drive away...and it was rush hour, so I called it a night...and thought that I'd share the pictures and thoughts with you. So here they are. Now, like I said, I've taken a lot of notes today and in the past...and as it stands, here's about what monthly expenses are going to be with rent, parking, utilities, transportation to/from work, internet, cable, etc. included by my calculations (give or take about $50 depending on services like cable or parking)

Mezzo - $1150 per month
Franklin Roosevelt - $900 (and I'd have to wait)
A.T. Lewis - 2 bedroom $1500
Denver Place - $1100
Broadway Plaza - $900
Ballpark Lofts - $1200
Overlook at Mile High - $900

Crossing those numbers with my general feelings while checking out the places, I'm really leaning towards the Apartments Denver Place at the same building where I work...but I'm open to suggestions...and I've also got a few places left to check out in the surrounding suburbs, some on RTD lines...but that would add commute time into my calculations as well...and when you're a pimp, time is money. Anyway, please let me know what you think. I love different points of view...especially when it's involving a LOT of my wages. Well, nothing really going on tonight...but that's okay...because I'm exhausted from walking all over town to do this. Yes, I hoofed it all day (well, except Overlook) so that I'd get a feel for the city...and it was a beautiful sunny day in the sixties. Couldn't ask for better weather...except maybe Gelato falling from the sky...but that usually doesn't happen. Anyway, have a great night everybody!!! First day in Denver was a success...and I start my new job tomorrow. Wish me luck!!!

6 comments:

Girl In A Gi said...

Woot! Congrats on the official arrival!
I have a friend who lived in the Mezzo and loved it...I know that the Ballpark Lofts are in a neighborhood that is 'up-and-coming' but used to be shady. (It has MUCH improved.) The Overlook at Mile High means walking distance from the Invesco Mile High Stadium, but it is super-close Little Mexico...definitely invest in the Spanish/English phrasebook. Good luck in the apartment search!!

Anonymous said...

Hi - I came across your post somehow (its late and can't remember how.) I used to live at Sherman Tower/Mezzo a long long time ago. I was bored one day and for nostalgic reasons I popped in and ended up writing this. I think you'd be interested in reading.

http://www.futuregringo.com/index.php/2008/05/28/sherman-tower-or-mezzo-denver/

I'd recommend Google searching any large apartment complex. You can usually find reviews from residents - good or bad.

I used to live in Cap Hill - and now live in Congress Park, one neighborhood east. (on the other side of Cheesman Park)

There's plenty of life, but its a bit quieter and more mellow than Capitol Hill - but still close to Colfax and great restaurants - plus easy to get around. (I bike almost everywhere.)

All the best in your move - and feel free to leave me a note if you have any neighborhood questions. I love traveling but proud to call Denver home..

james

http://www.futuregringo.com

Anonymous said...

Hey sorry one more post. I'd recommend checking out the Somerset - at 8th and Logan.

I lived there before buying a house in Congress Park. The management is different and I'm sure prices have gone up - but they're VERY spacious apartments, (triple the size of Mezzo,) and less occupants per floor.

The Mezzo has 24 apartments per floor - which is a LOT of people, and even though they've spruce up the lobby the units are still really, really, small.

Anyway good luck again - I enjoyed reading your post and if you have any apartment questions shoot me a note.

james...

Anonymous said...

Hey $teve!

Well, first of all, hope your first day at work is going fantastically.

Second, as far as my opnion goes based on pictures and your nice feature/benefits statements, I'd say It's a toss-up between Denver Place & Overlook. Overlook I thought was prettier, but nothing beats having to take an elevator to work (and Denver Place has a nice, clean look to it as well).

I agree with James - as I was randomly searching OC rentals, I came across something that looked awesome then saw 94 reviews where about 90 of those people said " this is awful, management sucks, I'm gonna sue, etc..." so it's good to check those out, but it never beats asking someone who's been there for a while.

-Lilie

$teve said...

Thank you for the suggestions, ladies & gentlemen. Today was a big day for me...and I decided on the Apartments at Denver Place...mostly because I had a great feeling with it...and at least four coworkers also live there and love it. More on the process in the next post. :)

A.P. said...

So I was writting this as you texted me. So, uh, yeah... Check your phone...

Where Should I Go Next?