Sunday, December 14, 2008

Dr. Love Library - Opening 2021

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Last night, I worked another late night...and it snowed again. Here's the thing. During the day, it was BEAUTIFUL for a December day in Denver. Sixty degrees, sunny (Did you know there's over 300 days a year of sunshine in Denver?), gentle breeze, hot girls everywhere, like Cali for skiers. Then I started to work by helping out another department just before sunset...and a cold front came in...and basically in a little over an hour, the temperature dropped about thirty degrees...then another ten the next hour...and it REALLY started to snow...and I found that it snows sideways in Denver usually because there's a nice 20-30 MPH valley breeze during that time...and of course, I was working outside in a tent. Granted, the tent was nice and warm...and in fact, there was a lot of salsa dancing going on...which is always hot...but I was serving ice cold beverages and running back and forth between the tent and the main building...and as the night progressed, the cold & wind got worse. I really felt a little sorry for all the lovely ladies who dressed to the nines and brought the girls out and hemmed their skirts up...but now had to ruin their buzz by going home in the snow. Hopefully most of them had a nearby hotel to stay at or something. It was pretty bad...except from my apartment when I got home well after midnight.
This morning...

The high today is allegedly supposed to be around ten degrees...but right now it's around zero degrees Fahrenheit...so we shall see. Maybe we'll catch a bit of a warm front and hit ten...before another snow storm comes in tomorrow. I'm not worried. I got a call from Best Buy telling me that my projector TV is FINALLY back...but it can wait until the roads are cleared. This is why I decided to live so close to work. Today I've finally hung up some of my posters and artwork...and my apartment is approaching completion, just in time to start the new year I guess. Congratulations to Sam Bradford of Oklahoma for winning the Heisman yesterday...and good luck against last year's winner Tim Tebow of Florida in the National Championship (of college football for those who don't care) in a few weeks. There are some games going on right now...but the Eagles don't play until MONDAY NIGHT so it doesn't matter this week. Here's some news...

Good Start for PETA - For animal rights activists, sticking up for furry or feathered critters is a way of life. Now it can be a way of death, too. A New Mexico company is building all-wood human coffins in a partnership with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. They bear painted slogans, such as "Lifetime PETA Member" or "I saved 500 animals." Another serves up a last laugh that plays on a long-running PETA advertisement: "Told You I Wouldn't Be Caught Dead in Fur!" The coffins, which went on sale last week, are priced from $620 to $670, which includes a $75 PETA contribution. Made of wood, they are designed to be Earth-friendly, with no screws, nails, hinges or animal-based glues (so no horses). They are assembled by Dienna Genther, 44, a former construction worker from Bellingham, Washington, who operates a company called The Old Pine Box in rural Edgewood, about 30 miles east of Albuquerque. She began handcrafting coffins from pine, cedar, maple and other woods in 2004. When initially contacted, Genther thought PETA wanted to discuss marketing coffins for pets (aren't shoeboxes biodegradable?). Her company builds those, too. "But then they sent the designs, the classic toe-pincher style, and I realized they wanted human coffins (instead of REALLY big dogs). We can do it.'" Genther is not a PETA member but, "I support their cause."

Michael McGraw, a PETA spokesman in New York, said the organization has about 2 million members and supporters, suggesting there are plenty of potential customers for PETA-themed coffins. "We expect a healthy interest. It's the best way for people to continue to use their voice for animals in death." While some designs might seem irreverent, the PETA coffins aren't unusual, Genther said. For years, funeral homes have offered stylized coffins with such adornments as religious symbols or sports team logos. Joan Calpin, a 40-year-old health insurance billing clerk and PETA member in Middletown, Del., plans to buy one. "It's a great idea. For myself and a lot of my friends who are activists, everybody always says, `All my life, I've helped animals.' Well, now you can say it even after your life is over. You're still helping animals." I'm not exactly sure how being buried under a few feet of dirt in a box that says "I'm a Petophile" is helping animals...but to each his or her own. There certainly is a market for crazy stuff like that. I found something a few months ago about coffins being built in the shapes of Mercedes-Benz, Coke bottles and other stuff...so yeah, good for them. Honestly though, wouldn't it be a little smarter to just note something on your tombstone? You know, where people can see it? Sorry if I'm cockblocking your business, Dienna...but I'm just saying. I wish you nothing but financial success.

Bush Library Update - George W. Bush's presidential library domain name has been retrieved after a Web developing company accidentally let it expire...and like everything else Bush touches, it apparently came at a high price. Raleigh, N.C.-based Illuminati Karate paid less than $10 for the http://www.GeorgeWBushLibrary.com domain name and sold it back earlier this year for $35,000 to the library's contracted Web developers, Yuma Solutions, said George Huger, lead Web developer for Illuminati Karate (nice name). The Tallahassee, Fla.-based company has a history with the Bush family, hosting Web sites for Bush's 2000 campaign and for brother and Florida Governor Jeb Bush's 1998 and 2002 campaigns. Records indicate that in March 2007, the George W. Bush Library Foundation, using Yuma Solutions as its contractor, bought the domain name from a private citizen for $3,000...but the registration was set to expire within a few months. Huger said he grabbed the library name, seeing its potential, while searching through a public list of names that were about to expire. Months later, Huger had received some offers on it, but he declined to provide details. After the Morning News reported that the library had lost the domain, Mills contacted Illuminati Karate and asked to buy it back. At the time, a library foundation spokesman said officials were unaware that the name had been lost. Yuma finally reached a deal to buy the Web address back for $35,000, which the company, not the library foundation, apparently paid. The site changed hands in April and won't expire until 2013. Mark Langdale, president of the George W. Bush Library Foundation, said he didn't know about the Web site being lost and recovered but said he would know if the library had been stuck with a surprise $35,000 expenditure.

The George W. Bush Presidential Center which will include a library, museum and public policy institute is being built at Southern Methodist University in Dallas...so buy up that site quick if you want a piece of that pie. By the way, am I the only one that thinks it's absolutely ridiculous that this guy has a library named after him? The man's barely literate, has the attention span of a six-year old and I'm pretty sure he's the luckiest special person of all time. Oh well, I can't hate on the special people that do stuff. I'd be there for the opening of a Forrest Gump Library in Greenbow, Ala-BAMA!!! It makes just about as much sense. I'll keep you posted when the Dr. Mookie Love Library is opened...in Evanston, Wyoming...because that's about the only place where they'd rent and/or sell any books that I write. Utah would have NOTHING to do with it. Hmm...maybe Vegas. They need a few libraries...and I could set it up so you'd have to play the slots to get the next page...or just a random sentence with random Nouns, Situations, and Locations thrown in...instead of those ones that just suggest you go to the Bar. "Come on, baby. Daddy needs an interesting story. (Pulls the bar) Let's see....Megan Fox...is a Time-Traveling Sexbot...in Batman, Turkey. Oooh, I'd pay to see that movie. Mmm, I'm already getting images of the final bath house scene...with several climaxes." By the way, the script is already in the works. Don't judge me. This sh*t is more golden than an Illinois Senate seat.

Anyway, that'll do it for today. Tomorrow it's back to work...and in a week-and-a-half, it's already Christmas...so I'll need to get some shopping done or something. Can't wait to see my dad & momma again in about ten days...and all the rest of family & friends in Slick City...then Bubbles & Vegas for New Year's a week later. Busy times are afoot...but I'm up to it...as soon as it warms up a bit. Have a great day everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?