Sunday, December 21, 2008

Couldn't Wait to See My Mummy

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

For those of you who don't know, there was an 'incident' at Denver Int'l Airport last night...but luckily everybody got out of it okay. What does this mean? Hopefully not a whole lot. I'm a lot more worried about the storm that supposed to be coming into town on Tuesday to affect my Christmas travel plans back home on Christmas Eve. Today is yet another One Day Photo Project day so be sure to keep an eye out for that (use the link) and I'll probably post mine tomorrow. There should be some great Christmas light pictures from downtown and by the Capitol Building. Other than that, just been cleaning up the apartment, doing laundry, scrubbing toilets, and hanging up pictures, so maybe I'll throw some of them in too. The hung pictures, not the toilet scrubbing.


Last night, I watched a few movies...that in hinesight had a bit of a mummy theme. I started with a new Netflix arrival, the latest installment of the "Mummy" remake trilogy, "Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emporer" starring Brendan Fraser, Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh, and Maria Bello (taking over for Rachel Weisz from the first two movies). Now, I really like Rachel Weisz...and she's an attractive woman...but I REALLY like Maria Bello. The Mad Scientist and I discussed this a while ago when we first heard about the substitution...and even did a fairly good British accent (character thing), she's quite the lovely woman. In my opinion, if you need a B-level actress playing a mother...or any woman of a certain age, there is none better than Maria Bello. Period. By the way, have you seen "History of Violence"? Do. However, it's rated R, just so you know.


Anyway, if you didn't know, the movie's set in 1947 and the O'Connells (Fraser & Bello) have retired from tomb raiding (no Angelina?) and their son Alex is of college age now...and finds the tomb of the Dragon Emporer (Jet Li) and some Chinese general helps bring this mummy back to life (of course) and the cycle of the Mummy movies continues...but this time with a Chinese theme complete with fireworks, terra cotta warrior armies, Shangri-La, Yeti in the Himalayas, magic, martial arts showdown between Jet Li & Michelle Yeoh (legends in that realm), the Great Wall of China, it's even basically the EXACT SAME BACKSTORY with the mummy about a trusted friend betraying the emporer for Love...but yeah, still pretty good movie. I've seen the first two Mummy movies more than any man or woman ever should (my dad really liked it too when I lived in his basement) so yeah, if you liked those, watch this one too.


I followed that one up with the exact opposite kind of mummy movies, "Bubba Ho-Tep" starring Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis. The story is set at an Eastern Texas nursing home where resident Sebastian Haff (Campbell) claims to be Elvis Presley...because he grew sick of the fame and wanted a simple life...but the impersonator died of renal failure before he could switch back. Anyway, he busted his hip and has been at the home for about twenty years. The residents start mysteriously dying and he and another resident who claims to be John F. Kennedy (Ossie Davis...who's black by the way) set out to find out why...and discover that it's a mummy that was lost there years ago during a traveling museum display. It's actually a pretty entertaining movie with the usual Bruce Campbell kind of appeal...just playing a little older. I'll admit, it's a little slow at times...but what do you expect when it's set at a nursing home? If you need a Bruce Campbell fix, check it out. If not, watch something else.


Sadly after that, I was flipping through the channels...and stumbled upon one of the worst movie concepts of all time...but I felt obligated to watch. How many of you have seen the "Friday the 13th" movies? I have seen the first one...but passed on all the others...especially when a few years ago, the released "Jason X" which was basically Jason...IN SPACE. The backstory (like you really need it) is Jason was cryogenically frozen because they couldn't find a way to kill him...and then I guess he got launched into space...and picked up hundreds of years later. Now, I flipped over to Spike TV...and it lured me in with the scene where there was some implied teenage space sex going on (it works for me) but then it immediately goes to Jason Voorhees defrosting in a medical bay on a space station somewhere...and I think, "Holy crap, this is going to suck." Yet I continue to watch...and it sucks...and it sucks...and it sucks...and the channel doesn't change. It literally sucks so bad...that it has sucked me in...until I finally had to pull myself away from it...and turn off the TV to go to sleep. It's kind of a mummy story because Jason doesn't talk, he just slowly goes around killing everything, he's unstoppable (apparently) and yeah, I almost made it through the whole thing. Don't watch it. You'll hate yourself the next day.


Anyway, that'll probably do it for me for today. I've got to get back to the TV to see the Eagles score. Hope that you all have your Christmas shopping done. Have a great day everybody!!!

3 comments:

A.P. said...

Oh come on! You had to love the part at the end when he beats one teenager to death with another one at the end of Jason X! It was hilarious! But yeah, all Jason movies are terrible by default. Funny I think.

Sorry I didn’t make it to Denver. I’m still workin’ on it though. Anyhoo, in the mean time, you might just have to give me a ring when your back in town.

And, oh yes, I loves me some Bello!

JLee said...

I like Maria Bello too and I'm cracking up at the "Jason X" thing! For real? lol
Hope you're doing well and Happy Holidays!

$teve said...

TMS, I admit it...I was a little giggly at just how stupid some of the deaths were. My personal fave was when the general said, "It's gonna take more than a poke in the ribs to get this old cat. (SCHANK through the gut) Yup, that oughta do it! (Death sigh)" ACTING!!!

Happy Holiday to you as well, JLee!!! I think I finally caught up on your blog. Hope you enjoyed Cancun.

To both of you, Maria Bello's seriously up there with Diane Lane & Michelle Pfeiffer for me...and I'm sure TMS would agree with me that the only better replacement...would have been Neve Campbell. :)

Where Should I Go Next?