Thursday, July 9, 2009

Giving Blood - Part 7

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

At work today, I had another training class for managment...and it was more of the same. You know, clips from the Office, note sheets full of acronyms for handling situations, all the stuff that you would expect from a company training. Then the presenter threw on a clip that peaked my interest...because I've posted about it on the blog a few times...Terry Tate - Office Linebacker. Please hit the link to enjoy some of his greatest hits...literally. "YOU KILL THE JOE, YOU MAKE SOME MO'!!! WOOOOOO!!!"

I also did something that I hadn't done for almost a year because of moving and just kind of spacing it...and that's donate blood. (Remember those entries? Always entertaining) As you may know, I don't care for needles. At all. Like ever. So why do I donate blood? For the kids in China and wherever else that need my awesome disease-free blood. Did you know that one pint of blood can save three lives? That's why I brave the little needle sucking the life juice out of me (and not the hot sexy vampire way) so that others may know the bliss of Life. This time, it even got me a little paid time off work too...which is always awesome. "But $teve, after giving blood a half dozen times or so, don't you get over the needle thing?" F**k no!!! I don't like needles. Not a big fan of blood (surprisingly even in movies). Trust me. It's not that easy of a thing to do. I just keep having to put faith into the fact that the person taking it knows what they're doing...and it's been difficult a few times when I see lip rings and the like. I just...(shiver) don't like needles...but I do it anyway...for the kids.

This time around...it wasn't that bad though. I even helped a coworker, we'll call her Vixen, through the process because she was getting a little light headed. Other than that, it really wasn't too eventful...or I blocked it out. One of the two. Afterwards, JL Clyde & I went to Gallivan Plaza for a free concert (and a sh*tload of patrons) but I had to leave after an hour or so because I just wasn't feeling it (like I was a pint low on blood or something) so I went home. Tomorrow I'll elaborate a bit more on the concert.

So...I'm also considering another trip out to the Crescent City, the Big Easy, New Orleans for Halloween this year...to see Filly for a few days...and see the crazy sh*t that I can assume would happen there. (Just imagine all those Southern Belles and the skimpy outfits) So yeah, if anybody's interested in going with me, please let me know and we can get this thing started. Also, what should I be for Halloween? I'd say Chewbacca again...but having that mask in may seriously hinder my ability to drink...and deprive the ladies of my chiseled good looks. We simply can't have that. Hmm, there's always the young Dennis Quaid approach. He was in "The Big Easy", right? Yeah... Anyway, let me know...and in the meantime, here's the news...

The Birdman Cometh - One of my favorite NBA players is Chris "The Birdman" Andersen of the Denver Nuggets. Perhaps you've heard me mention him...and his great skills and basketball playing instincts...and what sets him apart is his overcoming substance abuse and an incredible amount of tattoos (I believe 37 of them at last tally). Well, he has cashed in now. Andersen, who turned 31 on Tuesday, celebrated by signing a 5-year, $26 million contract which is actually a back-loaded contract that gives the Nuggets financial flexibility as well. Andersen will make close to $3.65 million in 2009-10, up from the $998,398 he made last season, when he averaged 6.4 points and 2.5 blocks in 20.6 minutes per game. He was second in the league in shotblocking behind only Defensive Player of the Year, Dwight Howard...and in FAR fewer minutes. His attorney Mark Bryant said, “You write the best-case scenario, think you’re dreaming and open your eyes and it’s real. He’s very excited. They treated him as a priority.” It is a bit of a shame that the Spurs didn't make a move for him (instead they did sign Antonio McDyess, which is also super awesome) but congratulations Birdman. I look forward to seeing you play for at least five more years. Good luck...until you run into the Spurs in the playoffs.

On that note, I am VERY curious as to some of the meanings and stories behind NBA player tattoos. I mean...what possesses a man to get 37 tattoos? What does each mean? Were they all tatted during drunken experiences? Are they in memory of loved ones? A childhood story? Whose lips are on Kenyon Martin's neck? His mom? Wife? Girlfriend? Why does everybody have a sun on their shoulder? I want to know these answers. Does anybody know of a website where this is speculated or reported? Please share. I just remember back in the 90's when somebody having a tattoo was scandalous (think Dennis Rodman) but now it's like two-thirds of everybody in the NBA is a walking billboard for...whatever these things mean. Please. Help a brutha understand your art.

Death by Chocolate - A little something for all the ladies out there. Authorities say a man has died after falling into a vat of melted chocolate in a New Jersey processing plant. The Camden County prosecutor's office identified the victim as 29-year-old Vincent Smith II of Camden. He was a temporary worker at the Cocoa Services Inc. plant. The accident happened Wednesday morning as Smith was loading chocolate into a vat where it's melted and mixed before being shipped elsewhere to be made into candy. Prosecutor's spokesman Jason Laughlin says a co-worker tried to shut off the machine and two others tried to pull Smith out of the 8-foot-deep vat. He was hit and fatally injured by the agitator that mixes the chocolate. Still think it sounds like a good way to go, ladies?

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this edition. Don't forget to Google Terry Tate - Office Linebacker. You won't regret it. Have a great night everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?