Thursday, February 5, 2009

Curry, Klingons & King Lear

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,


Last night, I went to the gym and decided to warm up by lifting a few weights, shooting a few hoops and then decided on Hot Yoga, which is a typical yoga class…but in a room at about 105 degrees. Probably not the best idea to run around and work up a sweat shooting hoops before a class like that…but it was good, sweaty fun…and the eye candy was plentiful. Now, I'm not a veteran of yoga classes so when the instructor says something like "Surya namaskara" or some other Sanskrit name for a pose, I just kind of look around and see what everybody else is doing…and then try to do it myself. It was a good work out…and luckily I'm still at that cute, awkward phase where I imagine the ladies around me are thinking "Oh, look at the cute giraffe trying to do yoga. That happy child pose is just adorable…but he'd better pull his shorts down." Yeah, I was liking it though. The only semi-weird part was towards the end when we were in the cool-down phase…and just relaxing on our backs and told to drain our mind…and I was doing surprisingly well (I think the few gallons of sweat lost might have helped) then I felt somebody's fingers running through my hair…and ladies, if you ever want your guys to be putty in your hands, run your fingers through his hair (it works with most ladies too…but only if they didn't spend an hour getting it to sit right). It ugh…took me back to other times when fingers were ringing through my hair for a few moments…so I had to snap back quick into "Your in the middle of yoga class" mode before problems arose (rim shot). Oh…and the fingers were the instructor's. Apparently she goes around the room and gives little head & neck massages while we're meditating or whatever. Nice class though. I enjoyed it.



After that, I finished reading that book I got for Christmas "How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success" by Leil Lowndes. It was a pretty good book. Some of the stuff I already knew…and some of the stuff is a little questionable…but it's helpful in business relationships mostly. A few tips for personal relationships…but nothing that I didn't already know and practice (and still prove ineffective). I would definitely recommend it though. If you (or someone you know) are looking to score a big promotion or build business relationships then this is definitely a good read for you. You can get it on Amazon for like ten bucks too. Just let Amazon know that Dr Love sent you so that I can get some kickback Love. Oh…and my brother still thinks it's a good idea to call me after 1 AM to chit-chat. "Oh, you're sleeping. It's only one." "Yeah, on a Wednesday night. I've got work in the morning." "Wednesday? Oh yeah. My bad. Well, I just wanted to say (twenty minute one-sided conversation about video games ensues as I drift in and out of consciousness)" I love the kid…but yeah. Don't call me for chit-chat that late. I have no problem with you calling and really needing somebody to talk to…or I'm dreaming about you and happen to be expecting your call (it happens a surprising amount) or if it's a straight-up booty call…but if it's just to talk about the Playstation Home and people that you've "met" on there and you know that I'm going to be sleeping, you may just want to wait until the next day. I think that was mentioned as one of the little tricks for big success - Don't f**king call them while they're sleeping. They may have phrased it differently like "Make sure it's convenient for them" or something like that…but the principle's the same. Anyway, here's some more interesting news...



Klingons Attack - Police say a man wielding a "Star Trek Klingon type sword" robbed two Colorado Springs convenience stores early Wednesday morning. The first armed robbery happened at about 1:55 AM at a 7-11 in Colorado Springs. The second robbery happened at about 2:20 AM at yet another 7-11. Witnesses told police a man wearing a black mask, black jacket and blue jeans entered the stores carrying a sword. The armed robber took an undisclosed amount of cash and fled on foot from both stores. Officers searched the area but didn't find the robber or the weapon, which was described as a "Batleth." The Klingons are finally attacking. The end is nigh. Set your phasers to Kill and blast anybody with a butt crack on their forehead and sounds like a garbage disposal when they talk. You have been warned. I guess the financial woes have spread outside of Earth as well.



Even Superheroes Turning to Larceny - Authorities said a man wearing a sleeping bag as a cape and carrying a screwdriver as a weapon tried to rob someone in the parking lot of a Gainesville, Florida business. Police said a 46-year-old man approached the intended victim early Sunday morning and asked for money. When the man refused, police said the man threw off the cape and pulled the screwdriver from his waistband. The other man quickly ran into a store and called 911. The suspect was arrested a few blocks away and charged with attempted armed robbery. He was being held on $20,000 bail. At least the guy had clothes on under the sleeping bag. He may need to work on the superhero identity though. You don't wanna throw back the cape, pull out your weapon of choice and scream "Prepare to be Screwed!!!" That's more of a fiery bedroom thing than a crime fighting thing.



Teacher Donates $2 Million - A penny pinching math teacher who never earned more than $40,000 per year in salary has left $2 million to her Ohio alma mater. Laura Bickimer died in April at age 93 after making plans to leave the bulk of her estate to Baldwin-Wallace College near Cleveland. She graduated from the school in 1936 with a 4.0 average. Bickimer, who never married, retired from teaching in 1972 and lived out her life in a nursing home. Years ago, she wrote in an alumni questionnaire that she preferred washing her clothes in an old-fashioned wringer and tried each day to perform some act of kindness. Bickimer never earned more than $40,000 in annual salary, but inherited wealth from family. The school will name a $50,000 scholarship after her. Okay, when I first read that a teacher donated $2 million, I thought she was dealing on the side…but apparently she's just a nice lady who never married and inherited wealth. What's the moral of the story? Apparently to be wealthy, you either have to inherit it…or keep all the money to yourself. Or maybe she was just a wonderful old-fashioned sweet lady that was kind to everybody she met and Karma came back around a little bit. One of those has to be it. You be the judge.



Pacino as King Lear? - Al Pacino and Michael Radford, who previously teamed on the film adaptation of Shakespeare's "The Merchant of Venice" in 2004, are reteaming for another of the Bard's plays - "King Lear" reports Variety. Pacino, who will play the title role, has played many Shakespearean characters but never Lear - the aging monarch who selects his successor by parsing his kingdom in three parts, ruled by his trio of daughters. Two of them are scheming connivers who flatter their father, while the one loving daughter, Cordelia, refuses to play that game and is exiled. The king ultimately loses everything…and goes crazy (and nobody does crazy quite like Pacino). Radford wrote the script (ugh…really?) while Barry Navidi will produce the film which aims to be very true to the film's original time period (try not to think of Pacino with an English period piece). The likes of Laurence Olivier, Orson Welles and Paul Scofield ("Man for All Seasons" & "Quiz Show") have played the monarch in previous film adaptations. Pic will be produced by Barry Navidi, who teamed with Pacino on "Merchant" as well as the upcoming "Salomaybe?," which Pacino directed and stars in. That film, based on the Oscar Wilde play, is in post-production. Filming will kick off later this year in Europe. So yeah, one of my favorite actors is playing in one of my favorite Shakespearean plays…in a movie. My guess…is that Megan Fox may be able to squeeze a deal in as one of the daughters…even if she can't do a British accent. "Exactly what makes you think that you can even play the part of Regan?" "Well, I'm amazing eye candy…and have you seen my tattoo?"




On that note, I think I'm going to call it a day. Probably no gym tonight because of the Movie Night but it'll be tons of fun. Also, JL Clyde will be here in two days…so that'll be fun too. Then I get to suffer through Single Awareness Week…yet again. Oh well, positive attitude. Who knows? Anything can happen, right? And it all happens for a reason. Have a great day everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?