Friday, April 26, 2013

Two to the Fifth Power

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,
 
Sorry it has been so long since my last real update (non-movie review related) but it has been a little busy & a lot of fun. Today marks my 32nd birthday (or as I prefer… two to fifth power) but first, I’m going to take you back to last Friday…
 
Dizzy & I spent the Friday going up to Wine Country because yes… I actually had a weekday off from work. I know… mind… BLOWN!!! Anyway, we drove out there with really no plan (or map) so I yelped a few wineries in the area around the wine train. First up was Del Dotto Winery & Caves. Unfortunately, because we didn’t set up a tour ahead of time we didn’t get a tour of the caves where they keep their wine… but we did have a nice sampling… and the décor is obviously spot on. By the way, I kind of want to find a dive winery. Do you know what I mean? Like… a winery that’s kind of just… wood planks around… various wines are paired with hot dogs & churros or something cheap like that… employees are nice & bathrooms clean of course… but it’s not like the usual there were everything is marble & artsy or whatever. I wonder if Charles Shaw Wineries are like that... for those who know “Two Buck Chuck” it’s now “Two-Fitty Chuck” thanks to the “recession” or whatever.
 
Next stop was a very small, yet very nice vineyard called Razi Winery. We pulled in & thought that the place was closed… but then a nice gentleman invited us in… so we had a nice tasting (very reasonably priced) paired with some great cheese… and then we found out… it was actually the owner who had invited us in & treated us while he was waiting for another party with an appointment about an hour later. Nice guy… great wine… go buy some… we did. After that, we grabbed a bit to eat at the Fatted Pig (there’s also a location in San Francisco I found out) and then it was time for…
 
The Napa Wine Train – So we met up with Dizzy’s aunts & cousin… and boarded the Wine Train. Basically, it’s this well-maintained & very posh train of about a dozen cars that goes from Napa to St. Helena & back over the course of 3-4 hours. The ride to St. Helena was during the “Golden Hour” so everything was beautiful as the pictures will show…
 





Then on the way back, we enjoyed a great 5-star dinner (with actually decent proportions) and eachother’s company. I highly recommend it. Yes… it’s absolutely pricey… but because it’s worth it. Especially for a special dinner date or something… guys… hint.
 
Saturday, we went to the Cherry Blossom Festival in Japantown. It was almost the same as last year… but had a good time there… oh and there was this shirt that I thought you’d all enjoy…
 
Sunday was a pretty lazy day but then we helped sell raffle tickets with the Meals on Wheels benefit that I volunteer for twice a year. Luckily this time I got to treat my lady to some of the fine wines & hors d’ouevres from celebrated chefs around the world that are a part of the benefit. Had I money to donate & be a full-on rapist… sorry, I’m being told it’s pronounced philanthropist, I’d totally be down in attending more of these things. In the meantime, I can donate my time… and maybe a little money (I didn’t win anything on the raffle). Great night!
 
Tuesday night after work, I met up with one of Dizzy’s friend from Detroit & we hit up a few bars. She wanted dive bars but… there really aren’t any dive bars in the Financial District / SOMA. Dive bars don’t have $7 beers. We probably could’ve made it out to the Castro where the beer flows like wine… but we only had a few hours and most of that would’ve been travel by bus. Still, great chick & we had a few drinks, then met up with Dizzy, then apparently she left town on the train a few hours later. So that was that…
 
Thursday night was Big Sky by the Bay a.k.a. The Carla & Larry Show a.k.a. Save Sharkey as it has been called over the years… which is basically a benefit that my friend Carla (oddly enough, who I met at a Meals on Wheels thing) and her friend Larry try to raise money for their common friend Sharkey. Basically it’s telecast live on the interwebs, but it’s a variety show, live auction, raffle, party & a half all rolled into one… and this year it was held at the Hi Dive bar located at right next to the world famous Bay Bridge. Here are a few pictures…
 
 


 
Today was my birthday… and yes, I got to spend it at work… but my coworkers really know what I like, so they got me a German Chocolate cake… and then they decorated my closet office up in Mardi Gras theme. There were beads & some masquerade confetti EVERYWHERE along with green & gold banners and the like… and then there was this…
 
So yeah, it’s been a great birthday week… and this weekend, Dizzy is taking me to a secret location on a road trip… the only thing I know is that it’s north of here. I think I may have spoiled it though because she mentioned it last night & I asked “Is it Point Reyes Lighthouse?” “… N… No… Dammit… yeah, it is… I mean… not anymore…” Of course it was the one place north of here that I’ve visited… but I’m sure we’ll work something out. The weather’s supposed to be a little windy & cold anyway so worst-case, just snuggling next to the fire or whatever works too. We’ll be okay. Which brings me to something that I haven’t mentioned in a while… mainly because I haven’t been doing my job of keeping you up on the REAL news… but without further ado…
 
Apocalypse Update – Yes, the Apocalypse continues… but it’s not just India, Sri Lanka, Florida & other third world countries (ba-da-tish) but now it has spread into another state. Snakes have slithered into a Mississippi courthouse this spring, posing no threat… but definitely giving workers the creeps. Five of the brown DeKay's snakes — sometimes called earth snakes — have been found in the Hinds County circuit clerk's basement office since April 8. A deputy clerk, Kelly Phillips, says the largest was as big around as her finger and a few inches long… though she said that she didn't stop to measure it. Former zookeeper Percy King went to the courthouse to identify the allegedly non-venomous snakes. He says they have soft teeth that probably couldn't even break a human's skin. They can enter buildings through tiny holes. Phillips says the first time she saw one, she screamed, "Snake!" and several co-workers scattered. One coworker (probably a dude) picked it up with a paper clamp and took it outside. So… it’s not like the Everglades being overran by giant Burmese pythons or the entire justice system of Sri Lanka collapsing because of the Slithering Death… but still, keep your eyes peeled out there.
 
Anyway, that should do it for this evening. Thank you all for the birthday wishes… and have a great weekend everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?