Wednesday, July 20, 2011

SF AIDS Walk















Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

This weekend was a lot of fun. Saturday after posting, I did a little walking around my neighborhood (beautiful national park known as the Presidio) and then watched Season 4 of “Dexter” with my roommate Bee Master… and this I found out… ALL THREE of my roommates love “Dexter” with a passion. That’s awesome… because I really like it too… and Season 4 has a creepy John Lithgow… which is just about perfect. So good!!!

Sunday, I woke up early (for a Sunday) and headed to the AIDS Walk San Francisco in Golden Gate Park to meet up with some coworkers & my ex-roommate Carmen, who I hadn’t seen in a while. We had some breakfast pastries there at the start line, introduced her to coworkers, but then by the time the walk started, the whole group kind of got split up… so it was basically just the two of us chatting and catching up on recent travels & adventures. During the six-mile-plus jaunt, there were stations with various treats, water, juices, popsicles, condoms, radio station giveaways, bands playing music, and of course the scenic majesty of the park itself in places that I had never ventured personally, so it was well worth helping raise (a very miniscule) part of the over $3 million that the over 25,000 walkers raised this weekend. Here are some pictures…

Beautiful scenery...


Belly dancers...


Bands... even the trees were dancing...


After the walk, we had a great BBQ lunch with the coworkers… and then we went our separate ways to enjoy the rest of our Sunday… which for me apparently meant taking the bus back to my apartment, taking a shower… and then taking a nap for an hour or so. By the way, I put in about ten miles total on my feet with going to the bus, walking the AIDS Walk & wandering around the events. That’s pretty good for me… especially since this was before the peak of the sun’s day. So yeah… after my nap (very refreshing), I cooked a little dinner (mac & cheese) and watched more of “Dexter” with my roommate. She always seems to pop up when I’m watching that show. Weird… but pretty cool because we get along with our similar senses of humor.

I found out today that I’m going to be able to attend my family reunion the week after Labor Day too. Yes, the camping trip out in the middle of the Utah desert where hillbillies drink, start fires & enjoy each other’s company. It should be amazing as always. I may just be out there for a day or two and then hanging in Slick City for a day or so… but yeah, I’m looking forward to it. Also trying to iron out the final travel plans for my Tahoe weekend at the end of the month, Jackie D’s 25th birthday extravaganza in Vegas in November, Thanksgiving (hopefully my family’s coming HERE) & Christmas. I know it’s a ways out… but that’s how I’ve got to play it to get it approved most of the time. Luckily the work schedule may cooperate too.

Monday, I watched “Harry Brown” starring Michael Caine & Emily Mortimer. It’s the story of an ex-Marine named Harry Brown (Caine) whose only friend Leonard is murdered by some local gang a**holes when he tries to stand up to them. Well, Harry don’t play that sh*t. One by one, Harry tries to take back the neighborhood ala Death Wish style… but with British accents. Detectives (Mortimer) are investigating the mysterious deaths of the gang members… but there’s no way that an elderly man could do this, right? Though it may sound like I’m describing a campy one-liner type of movie… it’s actual done in a very realistic and dark tone way. As usual, Michael Caine rocks the hell out of any role he plays whether it’s Alfred Pennyworth, Alfie, the Italian Job, a promoter of magicians, or an elderly ex-Marine out for blood. I highly recommend it if you’re into that kind of movie. Now… for a little something that you have gotten in a while. No, not THAT. I’m talking about… the news…

Vick Update – As you know… I have had a soft spot for Michael Vick over the past few years. Yes, the whole dogfighting thing was pretty bad. I know that I made light of it… but that’s just how I do. However, is it worse than vehicular manslaughter? Not at all. I’m just saying. The guy served his time… learned his lesson… and has moved in a positive direction. You have to respect that. I don’t care how cute you think puppies are. The man lost two years of his life AND at least $100 million. I pray that none of you make a mistake like that. I'd like to see how some of those people think chicken farmers should be punished for what they do on a daily basis to feed people around the world. Then with Vick signing with the Eagles two years back, that was awesome… and I knew it was going to be a great move for the franchise (so much that they’re shopping Kevin Kolb pretty well for there still not technically being a future in the NFL). Even better now though… he’s getting back a little of the endorsement cash. Earlier this month, Nike signed him to an endorsement deal… two years after they dropped him like a hot potato. Earlier this week, he went before Congress to help pass legislation that would make it illegal to ATTEND dogfighting as well. That's right, my dogfight watching days may be quickly coming to a close. Luckily, there's always Thailand to see my muay thai kickboxers duel to the blood. On Wednesday, Vick became an equity partner in Double Eagle Holdings, Ltd., the parent company of Fuse Science, Inc. And as part of the agreement, Vick will endorse Fuse Science and its line of sports nutrition vitamins and minerals. “Fuse Science has game-changing technology and an incredible team of scientists and business leaders to bring it to market,” Vick said. “I believe these products will revolutionize how athletes provide their bodies with nutrients and medicines, changing what we have come to accept as normal.” Vick, who led Philadelphia to an NFC East title last season, signed his first endorsement after being released from prison on Jan. 27 with Unequal Technologies, a company that produces football pads. And then on July 1, he returned to Nike, a company that had previously dropped him. “He’s a changed man,” Fuse Science CEO Adam Adler told The Associated Press. “As part of that change, he’s becoming a business man and not just a football player. He’s the hungriest athlete, he’s the best athlete in any sport and it was a no-brainer to bring Michael in and build around him.” Vick was the AP Comeback Player of the Year last season after having the best all-around year of his career. He started for the NFC in the Pro Bowl and was designated the franchise player by the Eagles before the NFL lockout. Vick’s image has dramatically turned around since his release from federal prison in July 2009 after serving 18 months for dogfighting charges. He’s won over many fans, and is a well-respected team leader on the Eagles. Companies have noticed Vick’s rejuvenation, and are turning to him once again to sell their products. “Michael wants to partner with a select group of companies,” said Andrew Stroth, the Chicago-based attorney who negotiated Vick’s deal. “Fuse Science has game-changing technology and is a good strategic fit with Michael’s brand.” Congratulations Michael!!!

Also, a happy premature birthday to Bubbles as she is leaving for a trip to see her sister in Seattle and get some R&R (Rum & Refills?). She’s been a good friend of mine for over five years now and she’s been really working hard the past few months too… so she’s deserving of this getaway. Have fun!!! Have a great day everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?