Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Am An Athelete



Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,



Yes, I am... an athelete. Why the extra e? Because spell check is for people that can't pull off being bad spellers. In the last 24 hours, I have been asked to join two recreation basketball leagues AND the company softball team. Why? Because of my amazing physical prowess? Because of my incredible charm & charisma that'll put lady's asses in the seats? Because they saw demonstrations of my staggering athletic skills? Nope... I played horribly at some pickup games at the YMCA and they still asked me... probably because I'm tall. Oh, and the softball thing, apparently they heard that I was on the company softball team last summer in Tahoe. You remember how that turned out, right? We won our first and last games... and by the end of the season I wasn't completely horrible. This one will actually be coed (then again, last year's was supposed to be coed kickball... but that didn't go as planned). Whatever, I am an athelete... so I will play. Now I just have to find out which basketball league is better for my schedule.




Other than that, not a whole lot going on other than working myself into a stupor during the day... and then watching a few movies at night trying to unwind. Hell, I just realized that other night that I hadn't even mentioned Basketball's Christmas a few weeks back while I was in Utah. I'm surprised that you haven't demanded my foolproof analysis of this year's NBA draft picks... but then again, with the lockout, the season may be shortened anyway... and I've admitted that I haven't really watched any college or professional basketball this season... but I figure it's a sign that the first pick of this year's draft and my niece share a name (both pronounced Ky-Ree). That's right. There was actually a LOT of sexually flexible names in the first 15 or so picks of the draft... but I'll save that for another day.




The other day, I was finally able to watch a movie that was recommended to me by The Mad Scientist (remember him?) a while back... but it finally came to Netflix. It was "Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead" starring Andy Garcia, Christopher Walken, Gabrielle Anwar, Treat Williams & Steve Buscemi. As you can tell from the title, it was recommend to me back when I was living in Denver over two years ago... but basically it's the story of Jimmy the Saint (Garcia) who is living in Denver... but like most former gangsters who try to make a decent living... he gets pulled back into the game... and has to do one last job to nullify his debts. So he gets the team back together... and I don't want to give too much away... but things don't go according to plan. Anyway, I highly recommend this movie if you're into gangster movies. Heck, this one might have even cracked my Movie List for that genre. Great ensemble cast... with the likes of Jack Warden, William Forsythe, and others. Go check it out.




Next up was "The Beach" starring Leonardo DiCaprio and from director Danny Boyle ("Trainspotting", "Slumdog Millionairre" & "127 Hours"). Now... I thought that I had watched this movie before... but then again, all I could remember was the preview with the hot French chick & I thought pirates were involved or something... so maybe I didn't. Anyway, it's about this guy (DiCaprio) who goes to Thailand to find adventure (great place to do it) but not be a tourist, be an adventurer or something. Well, he meets this guy (Robert Carlyle) who tells him about this perfect island with a perfect beach and perfect everything... and even gives him a map, telling him that it's super secret. He then meets this French couple... and they decide to go check it out & see if it really exists. Well, it does... but they're super secretive as I mentioned... and Leo's character is a bit of a douche... like in every situation... and there are Thai drug farmers involved on the island... and you might want to check it out... but it's not the greatest movie ever made. There's one part where Leo kind of freaks out a bit... and I for some reason was totally thinking about Ben Stiller in "Tropic Thunder" wearing a panda on his head. Yeah, it's like that... but trying to be serious.




Last up is "A Wrinkle In Time", which as I've mentioned before... was basically my favorite book growing up as a kid (you know, back when I read books). They made a TV movie about it a few years back starring Alfre Woodard & Katie Stuart... so I thought that I'd check it out. Well, it's pretty much just like the book (except there were a few things that I must've forgot... but it's been about 20 years since I've read it). There's Mag (Stuart) who is just a young teenage girl with twin brothers and another named Charles Wallace. Their father mysteriously disappeared about a year earlier... and then a magical adventure presents itself when Mrs. Who, Mrs. Which & Mrs. Whatsit flutter by & tell them of Tesseracts & IT and the story just kind of goes from there. For a TV movie, it wasn't that bad... and I'd definitely recommend watching it with kids if you have them. I had my roommates... but luckily, they all loved the book as kids too... so good times by all.




Anyway, that'll do it for tonight. I'd better brush up on my basketball knowledge so that I can drop bombs on you... in case they decide to have a season. Sigh... damn football & basketball... why can't you all just enjoy the money you've got? Here's an idea... instead of fighting over the profits, why don't you just lower the mother f**king ticket prices? SOLD!!! Anyway, I'll be back at my 9-5+ hourly wage job in the morning. Have a great night everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?