Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Road Trip 2010 - Los Angeles

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Day 5 – Los Angeles – 361 miles

Started off the day with breakfast at the Monterey Crepe Company…and made the bold choice of a nutella & banana crepe. It was a poor choice…but it was my fault. The crepe part was delicious, just the choice in extras. Then I headed down the Pacific Coast Highway with a little bit of rain and wind…but it was still gorgeous…and I saw a condor. I stopped once for a few pictures…and this condor literally swoop down close enough that I could see its red turkey neck and white under-feathers and all. I took a picture…but it was when he/she was already a good distance away…so you can’t really tell. Anyway, after about two hours of driving, I showed up at Hearst Castle and was able to take a tour over an hour earlier than scheduled. Okay, so for those of you who don’t know, Hearst Castle was one of like 30 residences that mega-bazillionairre W.R. Hearst owned all over the world…but this was his prize jewel. Perched on the cliffs of San Simeon in California’s Central Coast, even the guest houses of this place are an exercise in decadence. You know what, I’m just going to let the pictures show you all about it…and if you want to learn more, check the website. Here you go…
Pretty nice, huh? Yeah, it's a guest house...
Still the guest house...
3000 year old Egyptian relics...on his doorstep
The main house

After visiting the Castle, I drove to LA at a speed that I’d rather not say. On that note though, my speedometer only goes to 100…but Gretchen wasn’t even breaking a sweat (RPMs about 2400). Cool, right? Anyway, along the way, I saw a few cool things…like the city of Cambria, which one of my former coworkers was aptly named after. Absolutely gorgeous. Then about the time that I needed gas, I ran into McKittrick…where James Dean last fueled up before dying in a car crash about twenty miles away. Here are some pictures…

Traffic was actually pretty fantastic until about two miles from my downtown LA hotel, then it was pretty ridiculous…but I made it safe and sound. Shortly after checking in, I met up with Lilie for some dinner at The Grove, which is a pretty fancy schmancy shopping complex with just about any kind of food that you could want in their market area. And so you can guess what kind of food I wanted – Soul Food. Luckily Lilie had just returned from a New Orleans vacation, so she was longing for the food as well. We caught up on goings-on and wandered around the Grove. It was a pretty nice setting…

Afterwards, we parted ways…and I went to the hotel and slept like a baby.

Day 6 – Los Angeles – 13 miles

During the morning, I wandered around downtown LA en route to the Museum of Neon Art (MONA) but in a truly fatidic manner, they didn’t open until 2 PM that day…so I about 4 hours early. Schucks. So I wandered some more…
Disney Concert Hall
LA Cathedral
Chinatown Gate

For the afternoon, I decided to once again nerd out…by going to the LaBrea Tar Pits. Yes, all the culture and incredible things to do in the city of Los Angeles…and I went to a pit of tar that stupid animals fell into back before time was time. Why? Because it’s f**king awesome. Behold…

After nerding out, I went next door to get my culture on at the LACMA (LA County Museum of Art). Again, because of my respect for museums to make a buck, I didn’t take a whole lot of pictures (and security was pretty tight and ill-informed on what I was allowed to photograph) but it was mostly modern art anyway…so pretty f**king ridiculous. Here are some examples…
Familiar Rodin statues
Sigh... Modern Art

The afternoon was pretty warm (mid-80’s but remember, I’m used to 20’s & 30’s now) so I decided to relax on the rooftop pool and tan up a bit. It actually got to be a little chilly when the wind picked up a bit…but all in all, a great way to relax…and I didn’t mind the breeze one bit. The pool was still like a warm bath. After swimming, I relaxed in the room and watched the NFL Draft. Oh I’ve got plenty of opinions about it…but that’s not why you’re here. I just hope the Eagles know what they’re doing.

That night, Lilie & I met up with former Boss Man B, who lives in LA now, and one of his friends for some dinner at Arashi Sushi (fantastic atmosphere with great food) and then drinks at the WP24 lounge, which is one of Wolfgang Puck’s restaurants at the new Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles at LA Live. They made some great adult beverages with a beautiful 24th floor view of downtown. I highly recommend it. It did however make me miss my 34th floor apartment in Denver a little bit…but not too much. Anyway, great times catching up with Boss Man B. Then I took the elevator downstairs and slept like a baby.

Day 7 – Los Angeles – 0 miles

You read that correctly. This was the ONLY day that I didn’t drive Gretchen. Why? Lilie wanted to chauffer me around…and who am I to deny her? Now, for the weekend, I really didn’t have an agenda set up…because I’ve done most of the touristy things in the LA area before. So I thought “Let’s ask Lilie if there’s anything that she has wanted to do…but hasn’t done yet for whatever reason.” After asking, it became clear…that we were going to go to Universal Studios Hollywood. Luckily, she was with a movie nerd too, so if she had any questions, it was better than having your own personal tour guide. I have been here before…but not since Jurassic Park the Ride was brand new…so like 15 years at least. Anyway, here are the pictures…
Just wanna point one thing out...
Nobody around when my picture's taken...
but 8 seconds later...
Lilie is surrounded by people
Point: People just like being around Lilie
(and I may have a body odor problem)
"Great Scott that's tasty chicken!!!"
My favorite fictitious place in the whole park...
I was almost on the Apollo 13 mission...
but I was born about 40 years too late
I know what you're thinking,
"$teve, you look different with your shirt off..."
"KOOOOONG!!!"
The Bates Motel
War of the Worlds

Afterwards, we went to the Griffith Observatory. Why? Why the hell not? There’s the Hollywood sign, it was featured in “Rebel Without a Cause” and we got to see the LA skyline at sunset. Oh…and it’s an observatory. I almost forgot to mention that. Anyway, please observe…
Lilie's Gone Hollywood

The night was not yet done, for we were hungry by this point. So we went to the Thai Town area (seriously, there’s a Little (country) for every nationality in LA) and went to the Palms. The reason was they have great Thai food…and every night there’s a Thai performer who dresses up and sings Elvis songs all night long. SOLD!!!
"Rrrrove meee tendel... Rove me truuue..."

Well, that pretty much sums up on my nights in downtown LA…but next, I journey to Newport Coast and beautiful Orange County for some sun & fun. Can’t wait to show all of you. In the meantime, have a great night everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?