Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gobble Gobble Gobble

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!! Well, it's official. I'm a California resident. Well...not official official because I still have a Utah Driver's License...but I'm living here now...and working...and sleeping...and paying taxes...so yeah, it's official. Here's a quick rundown of the past week...because I know that you're really concerned with how I've been doing.

Friday night, we loaded up the remainder of the moving van...and by we, I mean me & my dad while my mom, stepdad and little nephew Vinny packed. I didn't have my camera handy...but the little guy who's not even two years old was carrying sleeping bags and rolled up blankets and stuff to help out his Uncle $teve. It was about the cutest thing you can imagine...then double it. He has the biggest blue eyes and the cutest smile & laugh...he's gonna be a heartbreaker someday very soon, ladies. Anyway, we were loading up the last thing, THE LAST THING...and what happens? My dad stumbles and catches his shin on the corner of the car tow...and it pokes through TO THE BONE. Now, it's deep...and it's bleeding...so we wrap him up as best we can & my stepmom drives him to Urgent Care...while I go to Red Rocks to meet up with JL Clyde & my friend K-Fish from work. That's right, my dad was bleeding profusely...and I was having a few beers and a trout club sandwich on pimpernickel. Why? He insisted that I do it. Wait, he becomes more God-like later in the trip. That night, I slept on a twin bed. The beer helped.

Saturday, we got ready and were on I-80 heading west by 10 AM. Oh yeah, 27 stitches...and a few painkillers. That was the remedy for the injury the night before. We drove through the scenic towns like Wendover, Wells, Elko, Battle Mountain, Golconda, Winnemucca, Reno and everything else that northern Nevada has to offer, stopping every so often to get gas & listening to the radio & Led Zeppelin CDs along the way. It was great male bonding. My dad's a real trooper...and a great navigator. "Just keeping heading that way." "Will do." Also, I got a great deal on the van & gas is what it is...and I calculated that just with those two things, it cost me about a dollar per mile to move my stuff from Slick City to Truckee. Awesome, right?

We made pretty good time & got there in about 9 hours...so 6 PM Cali time. It's dark of course...and the parking area of my apartment complex...is not the biggest...and we have a 16' moving van with car tow. We decide it'd be best to take my car Brandy off, then the car tow to make it a little easier / plausible. I go to start up Brandy...and nothing. Maybe it's the battery. We pop the hood, pop the trunk...and there's no tools. F my life. Remember "the Dude"? The manager's husband / maintenance guy? Well, he was home and he loaned us some tools (as did another guy we'll call D1 the next morning) and we did what we had to do to park it for the night...but it took a while...and gave us some unwanted chores for Sunday...like going to get a new battery. Oh well, now we were hungry...and couldn't really drive around in the truck...but luckily, right on queue, a taxi pulled up to my building (apparently to pick up a drunk party girl that lives upstairs' friend...but we'll meet them soon enough). We asked him if he knew of a good pizza place that delivered (since 411 & GPS suck) and he told us about Round Rock Pizza & gave us the number. Good guy. He gave me his card. The pizza was amazing...and we slept on air mattresses with full bellies.

Sunday, we unloaded the van in just over two hours...then headed to Reno to the closest Wal-Mart for a battery...and some groceries & stuff. We got back around sunset, got Brandy running, and I showed my dad the new job location. Then we noticed something, a fog coming from the defroster. F my life. Basically, the heater coil is ruptured or worse...so whenever it's heated, it's burning anti-freeze into the cab of the car & fogs up the windshield...and because it's located in the dash, it'd cost more to fix it than Brandy's worth (you know, being over 217,000 miles it's only a matter of time before EVERYTHING combusts). So I wasn't able to take my dad around town like I wanted...and I need a new mountain ready car. Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise...but we'll see how it goes. We went into downtown, showed him around...but everything was uberexpensive, so we got more Round Rock Pizza with some wings & watched "Demolition Man" while chatting about whatever. Again, my dad is AMAZING!!! That night, I slept on my luxurious bed...and yes, I did offer it to my dad...but he insisted on sleeping on the couch...and rather enjoyed it.

Monday was my first day at the new job...and it was only a half-day because I had to take my dad to the airport in the afternoon. I still met a lot of my coworkers...and they all seem great. It's going to be a fun experience. After work, I picked up my dad, drove him to the airport, thanked him profusely and made it back home to start unpacking everything. Basically, Tuesday & Wednesday was working all day then unpacking & arranging all night. Oh...and my niece Kairi was "kidnapped" again...but this time, I'm thinking that my crack whore ex-sister-in-law screwed herself over...but we'll see what the courts have to say about that in the next week hopefully.

Today being Thanksgiving, I'm here at a Starbucks enjoying a venti caramel apple spice & using the internet since I don't have the utilities set up quite yet. I'm making a pot roast as we speak...a pork roast actually with fresh ground peppercorn, chopped onions, carrots, green beans, potatoes, etc. and slowly marinated over several hours. I'll also be picking up a pumpkin pie before too long. Also, my roommate left yesterday from Florida...so he'll probably be here tomorrow or Saturday...with his sister helping. I'll be giving him a call later to make sure everything's okay.

What am I thankful for? EVERYTHING!!! First & foremost, my wonderful family & outstanding network of friends across the globe. My father who helped me move to this new adventure in a mountain paradise...despite fairly serious injury. My mother who always has my back & loves me with all of her heart. My brother who's a great father who would do anything for his kids. My stepparents who are there for me too. This new exciting job, my new home, my wonderful & helpful neighbors, and I can only assume that my roommate will be fantastic as well. My great health. The body of a woman. Laughter & smiles. Technology that keeps me in touch with my peeps. Pumpkin pie. EVERYTHING!!! It's all so amazing. I wish you could all come experience it with me.

What are you thankful for?

Well, I'd better get back to my roast. Also, my time's gonna expire here soon. Have a wonderful holiday weekend everybody!!! I'll get back to you when I can. Thank you!!! I love you all madly.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Wow, thank goodness your dad is a trooper. Glad you made it safe and sound. Happy Thanksgiving! Looking forward to hearing of your new journey :)

Where Should I Go Next?