Friday, November 6, 2009

Roaming Gnome Looks For Home

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Well...holy crap, I've been busy since this whole Lake Tahoe thing came to happen. Let's see, ugh...there was telling everybody about it on Wednesday. Yesterday, I walked about five miles for the kids with the CMN Torch Relay, which was a lot of fun...and for a good cause...but yeah, it was a lot of walking...but we got a hot dog for lunch so it wasn't bad. Big thanks to all who donated (and the rest of you are just evil). After that, I worked...by which I mean I multitasked trying to get things squared away for my impending move while still telling everybody about it and doing the job that I was being paid for splendidly. It's what I do so well. After work, I went to my dad's to talk about the move (of course) and arrange a pseudo-schedule. Then we were flipping through the channels and saw that the hometown Jazz were playing my favorite team, the San Antonio Spurs not two miles away. "Gee, wouldn't that be cool to go watch?" Well, after the first quarter, I decided that I had some work to do with packing, so I went back to my apartment. Upon walking in the door, I get a call from my Wingman...and apparently Wingman Jr was at the game with his high school checking out colleges in the area...and they had an extra ticket. Weird, right? So I walk over there (just two blocks from my apartment) and enjoy the rest of the game from the absolute top row behind Pistol Pete's number...but hey, a free seat is a free seat.

Today was even better. I've decided that this weekend, I needed to go see Lake Tahoe and find out where I'm going to live, otherwise whatever I do the next few days with packing may be meaningless. Luckily, Delta was having a last minute deal from SLC to Reno (45 minutes from Tahoe) so I booked that, scheduled a rental car, arranged to stay in my new boss' spare bedroom for a few nights and another at a motel in Truckee, made a list of places to check out in the area, mapped it out to a certain extent, oh...and all while I picked up my mom from the airport because she showed up three hours earlier than she told us she was, got my shifts covered on a moment's notice, informed more people about the plans and STILL did my job splendidly. I think I even worked meals into that. Pretty good day...and now I get to have a four-day "vacation" in my new home, meet my new boss & maybe a few other coworkers, find a wonderful apartment or townhouse, and enjoy the beautiful scenery that I will soon grow accustomed to. It should be fairly relaxing...but we shall see...and I'll be sure to keep you posted. I'd love to post pictures of the apartments for you to lend your advice ahead of time...but yeah, we'll see if that gets done before I sign something. It's kind of a short turnover...and if I know, I'll know.

So there's a quick wrap-up of the past few days. Now I'm off to Tahoe in the morning, find a place to live, back to Slick City on Tuesday, work & pack a few days, off to Vegas for next weekend (trip planned about a month ago when I pretty much brushed Tahoe off my shoulder), then back for more work & packing, maybe fit a Going Away Again Party in there, load up the moving van, drive across Northern Nevada, unload the moving fan into my new accommodations, start my new job, probably unpack during Thanksgiving Break...and all while hoping that there isn't a major snowstorm along the way. By the way, did you know that there are a lot of things in the Truckee / Lake Tahoe area named Donner. Wanna know why? Because that's where the Donner Party was on their magical journey west. THAT'S another reason I don't want it to snow horribly before I get assituated. Wish me luck!!! Have a great day everybody!!!

3 comments:

JLee said...

Good luck, you GNOMAD! lol

Alisa said...

Congratzzzzzzzzzzzz, Steve!!!!!

$teve said...

Thank you ladies!!! Feel free to come visit anytime. :)

Where Should I Go Next?