Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Boobies Must Be Warm At All Times

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

I HAVE A PLACE TO STAY IN LAKE TAHOE!!! Long story short, after checking out over a dozen places, and finding out a few others were for ski leases only, and after finding out others were already rented out, and calling on a bunch of roommates opportunities, and finding out that some apartment places have waiting lists more than a year in advance, the place that I ended up going for was found just driving around a neighborhood that I was interested in that was convenient to my new job. Basically, it's as close as I can get to my new job without being independently wealthy. First though, do you want me to go over some of the other options? Maybe teach ya a little bit about the area that I'll be living? No? Well, I'm gonna show you a few pictures anyway, just because I'm really excited about this...and I feel like I should share the majesty of the North Lake Tahoe, Truckee, King's Beach, Northstar area with you...so that maybe you'll come visit...especially you ladies during those long, cold winter nights. By the way, did I mention that I have a fireplace? And the starlight is almost blinding there?

Saturday, I flew into Reno (biggest little city in the world), picked up my G6 rental car and made way to hotel where I would spend the first night, the Hampton Inn Truckee. Nice place...and the staff was more than accommodating (and I'm pretty sure that the cutie at the front desk was checking me out a few times...and that may have played into it). When their business center computer was on the fritz, they let me use there's in the back-of-house office area to check on locations in the area. Also, the breakfast was pretty good too. I highly recommend them...especially since they don't have a whole lot of competition right there in the immediate Truckee area. Now, for a little background on the city of Truckee, California, located just off I-80 about thirty minutes west of Reno, directly north of Lake Tahoe. It's basically a small quiet mountain town with a Historic Downtown with a few restaurants, bars, art galleries located along the Truckee River...and train tracks run right along the main street, Donner Pass Road. There are also neighborhoods that range from trailer parks to low income housing to condos to luxurious log cabins to million dollar homes. The best part is though, you can hardly tell from how beautiful the surroundings are. I think there's only like 15,000 people in the city. Pretty small town feel and everything. This is my new home, or rather center of operations. I spent the day driving around town to get familiar with the streets (before the walls of snow come into play) and setting up appointments to check out places. Even saw one later in the day...but it would require me to have roommates...and was a bit out of the way. Here are some pictures...
First place, not bad...but needed roommates to afford
Oh yeah, that's diamond plated cabinets
The hot tub would've been nice...
Outhouses? Nope. Storage.

Sunday, I woke up nice & early, had a hearty breakfast and set out to find a home. My first few stops were in the King's Beach area. Now, King's Beach...is pretty cool. It's located on the northern shore of Lake Tahoe with, as the name would imply, plenty of beached recreation areas. The housing is...a little lower scale. It's not horrible by any means...but it's the more affordable area of town. It kind of looks like where there was once a campground with little individual cabins...that were converted into homes. A lot of small motels, A-frame homes, pretty basic homes...but like I said, it's affordable and located right on the northern shore. The one drawback really...was the steep drive up Northstar Mountain that I would have to do everyday (ala Parley's Canyon to get to Park City) whereas Truckee has a more horizontal approach. Here are some pictures...
Best thing about this area
The Beach is a few blocks away
This was a close one, favorite in King's Beach
Met neighbor Patty & her dog too
Then I was shown a few VERY small places

Later in the day, I met up with new Boss Lady B for the first time...and she's just AWESOME!!! She's a spunky, funny Kiwi who was really excited to get to know me, help me find a place, cooked me dinner TWICE, made sure that I had a clean bed to sleep in and...just AWESOME!!! She also had a black lab mix named Sadie...and she really liked me too. What can I say? B**ches love me. After meeting her & Sadie for the first time, I looked at a few more properties...and here are those pictures...
Saw two of the exact same layout but different prices
This one was on Northstar Mountain but
was furnished...apparently for an elderly couple

Monday, I woke up with a good feeling. I hadn't really found anything that was a sureshot for a new home...but I had more to see...and I just had a good feeling. You know how it is, right? Anyway, I continued my search...and stumbled upon a For Rent sign by a place on the list...and it proved to be intriguing. Anyway, here are the pictures...
Love that this sign was up at my new job
Now you know about the entry title
Sawmill Heights - Very small accommodations
Typically for temporary workers in the area
Affordable though...so it was high on the list
These next two pictures...are the entire studio
This one had an open layout...but a major 70's feel to it
Also, I'm not sure if this was supposed to be
storage or a loft for a twin bed...but it's the only window
Ready to see my new apartment?
Pretty standard kitchen
Nice, big living room...with a fireplace...
...and a BIG DECK!!!
The bedrooms aren't big...but big enough...and deck access

So basically, after all that research & investigation, I ended up going with a place that I just kind of stumbled upon driving around the neighborhood I was interested in. It just goes to show, it all happens for a reason. So I'm really excited to get over there and get started with my new job and my new surroundings. I'm absolutely going to miss Slick City...and my current job...and my family & friends who all live here...but I'll be visiting when I get the chance. I want to see my niece & nephew grow up. I want to see my mom, my dad, my brother, my friends, all of them...but I'm just needing to progress in this career of mine and, times being what they are, apparently I have to move to ski resort towns and hang out with snow bunnies. It's a rough life but somebody has to live it. Besides, now you all have a hookup in Lake Tahoe. Have a great day everybody!!!

1 comment:

Lilie said...

Nice apartment! My mom would approve, especially because of the deck! :)

Congrats and good luck in your new journey.

Where Should I Go Next?