Wednesday, June 19, 2013

DAMN YOU, JESUS SHUTTLESWORTH!!!

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,
 
So do you think I did okay with the birthday surprise on the last entry? Dizzy thinks so… I’m humble in my awesomeness but I think that I did pretty good… and the comments have been good on the Facebook. Maybe I am pretty good at this dating thing… or at least the presents part. Aside from that, Father’s Day was pretty cool. I talked with my stepdad for a few minutes and wished him a happy father’s day. He’s a good dude & I feel like he doesn’t get the respect that he should most of the time. He’s soft-spoken and… let’s face it, easily mockable most of the time… but he’s a great guy, very nice & most importantly makes my mom happy. When he married into the family, he basically went from a kind of snooty, arrogant “upper class” family into a gaggle of rednecks… and I know it wasn’t easy. Hell, I was the good one & I gave him plenty of grief… but I was a teenager, what do you expect? My brother though has never been a treat to anybody… and even his own son has ended up siding more with the other side of the family & staying away from him… which is unfortunately because he really loves that red-headed stepbrother of mine (as he should). So with that, thanks for putting up with all of us, Lavar! You’re a good sh*t…
 
As for my dad, he’s been recovering from his torn MCL & ACL since Easter when it happened, but he’s back at work with crutches. I got him some books as a present, one is an encyclopedia about Harley-Davidson motorcycles… and the other was a nice little one I found on Amazon about a man who basically went through his dad’s journal about a great road trip across America just before WWII on his Harley… called “The Old Man & the Harley” or something like that. He said that he has it next to his seat at the house so he can read it… and that’s cool. He & I are a lot a like… and apparently that means difficult to shop for. Anything that we particularly need or even want, we’ll basically take care of it or build it ourselves… so usually we get things like gift certificates, movies that came out for the holidays that we may or may not already have, sports memorabilia, stuff like that. Sure it can be frustrating for those trying to get gifts… but honestly, as long as we get a quick phone call or letter or something that just says “Hey, happy birthday” or whatever, we’re pretty good with that. Cash works too. Anyway, I gave him a call last weekend because… well, I thought it was Father’s Day… but also this last weekend when it was… and he’s in high spirits & I can’t wait to see both of them in about a month. Happy Father’s (or Not-A-Father’s) Day EVERYBODY!!!
 
So for the past week or so, I’ve been playing a new video game “NBA 2K13” and yes, I’m about a year behind everybody else in the world when it comes to video games because… unless it’s “Assassin’s Creed 5” or about every third “Madden” title, then I can wait a few months until it drops from $60+ to $20. Basically, this is game may have been made specifically for me just from an introductory perspective… it’s a basketball game… produced by Jay-Z… has past greats involved… and has a number of different play modes including a mode called My Career where you basically make a character & take them through their career. From rookie camps to draft day to riding the bench to making your way to starter to endorsement deals to answering media questions to free agency to All Star games to playoffs & championship to maybe even the Hall of Fame. Pretty cool, right? Well, like I said, I’m a week into it… and it’s my first time playing a 2K game (usually an EA Sports guy) and there’s a bit of a learning curve… but I’m liking it thus far, even if it’s frustrating at some points. Seriously guys, I’m not going to miss wide open layups just so you can keep me under 20 points a game off the bench… and the whole free throw system seems really off to me… still have no idea where & when I’m supposed to release it because the realistic way always seem wrong… but I get it. Gotta walk before you ball. The soundtrack is bangin’… the play for the most part is pretty smooth though there are a few things that irritate me… like how I suddenly turn ghost from time to time & people can pass right through me on defense… and again, the layups that just won’t go in (for that matter they won’t let a 6’9” small forward with a dunk rating in the mid 60’s dunk either, WTF?). I’ll keep you posted but I really like the game thus far.
 
Current Status: After an average showing at the Rookie Showcase, Steve Love was drafted #14 by the Milwaukee Bucks (though real life #14 pick John Henson is also on the team). After producing decent numbers on 5-6 minutes of the bench for the first ten games or so. I’ve moved into the starting lineup… so I get about 15 minutes a game (5 minute quarters) and… basically the hardest part for me getting points… is getting the ball away from Brandon Jennings & Monta Ellis, the two ballhog guards… but Ellis is injured now so… yay, I’ve stepped into the two-guard spot where I can drain threes a few times before they play tough on me. Starting to get a feel for the defensive controls & post moves too & always dishing out dimes so it’s going pretty good. About 18 games into the season, we’re 11-7 but 6-1 since I was in the lineup (tough loss to the Spurs, who “magically” went on 12-0 runs whenever I was out of the game) and even though my stats aren’t AMAZING due to a sub-40% free throw and/or layups being very iffy, I’m doing pretty decent. Here’s a shot of my billboard & magazine cover…
 

 
Speaking of basketball, I decided to watch my first full game of the year… since it was Game 6 of the NBA Finals and my San Antonio Spurs (fan since David Robinson’s rookie year) were ready to wrap up their 5th title against the Miami Heat. So I went down to Café Prague to watch the game & Dizzy met up with me at halftime. Tim Duncan OWNED the first half, posting a career high with 25 first half points… but the Spurs were up by only six. They extended that lead to 10 at the start of the 4th… and then apparently LeBron James removed his headband… not unlike Clark Kent removing his glasses… and he brought them back to a good close game… a few no calls that would’ve been for the Spurs but hey, that’s how it’s played in the playoffs… then for some reason they decide to leave wide open in the corner, not a great three-point shooter… but THE GREATEST THREE-POINT SHOOTER IN NBA HISTORY, JESUS SHUTTLESWORTH HIMSELF… RAY ALLEN!!! So… of course he made the tying shot… hard fought overtime… and now there will be a Game 7 tomorrow night. The only catch… I have a work outing tomorrow night in honor of my new Boss Man. All I have to say is… if they don’t have a TV with the game on… then I’ll be excusing myself to go to the bathroom A LOT during the night. “Excuse me, nature calls… at the bar across the street… I’ll be back in… 35, 45 minutes. Oh… and I’m taking this beverage with me.” Anyway, first world problems… here’s the news…
 
Whining About Wine - Award-winning chef Charlie Trotter is being sued by two New York wine collectors who say he sold them a bottle of wine for more than $46,000 that wasn't what it said on the label. (GASP!!!) The federal lawsuit filed Thursday in Chicago accuses Trotter and one of his wine experts of duping them into buying what they thought was a magnum of 1945 Romanee-Conti from the Domaine de la Romanee-Conti winery in June 2012. The collectors, Bekim and Ilir Frrokaj (Beh-KEEM' and ih-LEER' FRO'-kuh), say an appraisal firm concluded the bottle was counterfeit. They are seeking damages of more than $76,000 (emotional distress I’m sure). They accuse Trotter and his company of violating Illinois consumer fraud laws. An attorney for Trotter, John Riccione, did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment on Friday. Here’s the thing… you’re buying a bottle of rotten grape juice. I mean… think about it. I’m a huge fan of wine, don’t get me started… and having a winery down the road would basically be a dream come true… but why would anyone spend $46,000 on a bottle of wine as opposed to… I don’t know, a luxury sedan? Does this sh*t cure cancer? No, wait… they’d add a few zeroes if that was the case… but still, it’s f**king grape juice. You got conned! Probably after Chuck Trotter got conned! After somebody else conned a fellow hustler & so on & so forth. Drink Mangria!
 
Birthday Suit – Speaking of ridiculous lawsuits, a production company making a documentary about the song "Happy Birthday to You" is challenging the copyright to the famous jingle. Good Morning To You Productions Corp., which is working on a film tentatively titled "Happy Birthday," argues in a lawsuit filed Thursday that the song should be "dedicated to public use and in the public domain." The company is seeking monetary damages and restitution of more than $5 million in licensing fees collected by Warner/Chappell Music Inc. from thousands of people and groups who've paid it licensing fees. "More than 120 years after the melody to which the simple lyrics of Happy Birthday to You is set was first published, defendant Warner/Chappell boldly, but wrongfully and unlawfully, insists that it owns the copyright to Happy Birthday to You," the lawsuit states. Warner/Chappell, based in Los Angeles, claims exclusive copyright to "Happy Birthday to You," which Guinness World Records has called the most famous song in the English language. The company, whose artists include Aretha Franklin, Barry Gibb, Rob Zombie, Madonna and Michael Jackson, didn't immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday. Good Morning To You Productions argues that evidence dating to 1893 helps show the song's copyright expired around 1921. It says four previous copyrights to the melody of the similar-sounding song "Good Morning to All," filed in 1893, 1896, 1899 and 1907, have expired or been forfeited. The class action lawsuit says that Warner/Chappell claims the exclusive copyright to the song based on piano arrangements published in 1935 but that the copyright applies only to the piano arraignment and not to the melody or lyrics. LAWYERED!!! The film company filed the lawsuit after having to pay Warner/Chappell a $1,500 licensing fee and sign an agreement to use the song in a scene — or face a $150,000 penalty. What does it mean? Some lawyers are gonna get paid… and you can keep singing happy birthday dozens of times a year without looking over your shoulder for Big Brother… at least for a few more weeks. All I gotta say is… Cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake…
 
 
 
Diary of Not-Anne Frank - U.S. officials on Thursday unveiled the 400-page diary of Alfred Rosenberg, a top aide to Adolf Hitler, who oversaw the genocide against Jews and others during World War Two. The diary disappeared after the Nuremberg trials in 1946, sparking a nearly 70-year hunt that ended on April 5th in the upstate New York town of Lewiston, at the home of an academic named Herbert Richardson. The diary pages, hand-written in German and not yet completely translated into English by scholars, offers a broader look at the Third Reich's policies and practices, as well as an unvarnished account of a Nazi leader's thoughts, authorities said at a news conference on Thursday. "These 400 pages are a window into the dark soul of one of the great wrongs in human history," said John Morton, director of U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, which investigates cases of missing cultural property. "It's significant because, as time marches on, there are fewer living witnesses of what happened during the Holocaust. We still don't know the full extent." Pages of the diary, which will eventually be turned over to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C., were shown to reporters, including one entry dated April 1941. Rosenberg describes walking alone after "an important meeting" with Hitler, who told him: "Your great hour has come." Museum senior adviser Henry Mayer, who had been searching for the diary for 17 years, noted Rosenberg did not elaborate in the entry. "What Hitler described was so great, he couldn't put it down," Mayer told reporters. U.S. officials have long suspected that a prosecutor, Robert Kempner, smuggled the diary back to the United States after the Nuremberg trial. Born in Germany, Kempner fled to America in the 1930s to escape the Nazis, only to return for post-war trials. He is credited with helping reveal the existence of the Wannsee Protocol, the 1942 conference during which Nazi officials met to coordinate the extermination of the Jews, which they termed "The Final Solution." Kempner cited a few Rosenberg diary excerpts in his memoir and in 1956 a German historian published entries from 1939 and 1940. But the bulk of the diary never surfaced. After his death in 1993, heirs to his estate agreed to forfeit his possessions to the U.S. holocaust museum, but that agreement hit road blocks and the diary was never found. However in 1999, when cleaning out Kempner's home in suburban Philadelphia, a man found 40 boxes of documents, including papers outlining the Nazi's "aggressive war against and the plundering, spoliation and the economic exploitation of the Soviet Union by the Nazi regime," according to a 2003 court filing. But the diary was not among the materials. "That was what we were looking for, that's what was so frustrating," said Robert Wittman, the founder of the FBI's Art Crime Team, and now a private art security consultant. In recent months, Wittman and his son, Jeffrey, helped ICE locate the diary in New York. The diary offers Rosenberg's recollections from the spring of 1936 to the winter of 1944, according to an analysis by the Holocaust museum. Most entries are written in Rosenberg's looping cursive, some on paper torn from a ledger book and others on the back of official Nazi stationery, according to a U.S. government analysis obtained by Reuters. "Although it is a reminder of a dark time, the Rosenberg Diary is important to our understanding of history," said U.S. Attorney Charles M. Oberly. "Our hope is that it will provide valuable insight to historians." Why do I mention this? It’s history. First hand accounts of what transpired during this horrible time of history… and maybe some insight into how such a tragic thing came to be. I’m pretty intrigued by what the content of those pages may be… but it also seems like it might be a big buildup to a disappointing book based on the descriptions that the guy is giving… so we shall see. I’m guessing that it’s not going to sell quite as well as Anne Frank’s Diary though. Just a hunch…
 
Anyway, that should do it for tonight. Gotta make some tough decisions about tomorrow night… do the work thing… or watch Game 7… hopefully it’ll work out so I can just do both… and the Spurs win the championship ring for the thumb… and maybe Tim Duncan retires… or maybe he stays for a few more trips. Who knows? That’s why we all play the game I guess… have a great game everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?