Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Be Still! The Pharaoh Speaks...



Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,



Last night was the SF Homebrewers Guild meeting at Anchor Brewing and we had our annual elections. I threw my hat into the ring despite my relative inexperience… but honestly, they’re just looking for a bit of an organized body to help spearhead the guild and help with its exponential growth… and I’m more than happy to lend my expertise & make some great connections in the meantime. I originally applied for Vice President because it was one of the few positions that wasn’t already earmarked for somebody else… but basically, I got an email a few days later saying “So… this guy is also running for VP & he’s been with the guild from the beginning… and is a semi-pro brewer so… how about we just make a position for you instead?” Yeah, they basically just made a position for me (Communications Chair) because even though I’m new to the world of brewing in general, I have that marketing degree & a can do attitude. My duties are I think primarily handling a lot of the email & social media communications for the guild… working with all the other leadership members & all the breweries that we work with (and there are a LOT & more on the way honestly) and whatever else I can do in support. I may even be taking lead on a few upcoming events… but we shall see with the details later. I’ll keep you posted.



So yeah, Izzy, Jackie D & I went, we had our “elections” last night, everybody was elected (as they ran unopposed) & now we start setting things up for the next year. Some highlights in the coming year:



• LOTS of Homebrew competitions

• Beer Judge Certification Program classes & training

• Collaborations with professional brewers

• Participation in some great festivals

• Brewery Tours

• Charity Events

• LOTS of sharing Homebrews

• Hosting an SF Beer Week 2015 event

• Anything else we come up with along the way



It should be pretty intense, but as I said, I’ll keep you posted. As for our next batch… and what would be our first to be kegged & placed in the kegerator… I think that we’ve decided on doing a ChocoNut Stout. What’s that? Chocolate & Coconut Stout… or maybe adjust it to a Porter. We’ve also got a few ideas involving everything from a jalapeno pale ale to a Scotch barrel aged Scotch ale… so you’ll just have to read to find out. In the meantime, here is some news from some old staples… since I’ve been slacking in that department the past few months…



Colbert Update - It's official. The CBS Television Network has announced that fellow great Steve and host of "The Colbert Report" Stephen Colbert will succeed David Letterman as the host of "The Late Show" effective when Mr. Letterman retires from the broadcast. CBS and Colbert have come to a five-year agreement with the premiere date of Colbert's show to be announced after Lettermen determines a timetable for his final broadcasts in 2015. Specific creative elements, including producers and location, will be determined and announced at a later date. CBS' Leslie Moonves says: "Stephen Colbert is one of the most inventive and respected forces on television. David Letterman's legacy and accomplishments are an incredible source of pride for all of us here, and today's announcement speaks to our commitment of upholding what he established for CBS in late night." Congrats!!!



Fox Update - Megan Fox has long claimed to be a self-described “nerd” but has unexpectedly upped the ante when it comes to her fan-girl obsession with her role in the upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. “I was really in love with them,” confesses Fox, who stars as reporter April O’Neil in the live-action reboot of the ‘80s cartoon which hits theaters August 8. “I have an older sister that’s 12 years older than me, so part of it initially was because I wanted to be like my big sister. But, it’s a really cool project for me because it was a huge part of my childhood, and it’s always been.” Her die-hard love of the characters – she even made husband Brian Austin Green watch the cheesy Turtle movies with her when they were dating – eliminated any hesitation about her decision to sign up for the film executive produced by… sigh… Michael Bay. “He was one of the most lovely people that I dealt with in making this movie,” says Fox of the Transformers director, with whom she had once publicly feuded. “I’ve always loved Michael. We’ve had our battles in the past but even when I’ve been really outspoken about difficulties we’ve had, I’ve always followed up by saying that I have a particular affinity to him. He can be very vulnerable, and he’s very likeable and loveable. I’ve always been very vocal about that as well. But, sometimes we clash because we both have very willful, powerful personalities.” Whatever. Bay and director Jonathan Liebesman had an edgy vision for the film that included a dramatic makeover for the four mutant turtles, now animated in CG. There are also plenty of dramatic action sequences and a few surprising contemporary details such as a complete makeover of Fox’s character, April. All of which, for the record, suit Fox just fine. Here it comes…



Fox: “She’s more of a leader when she explores her relationship with the turtles instead of just the human companion that gets dragged along on the adventure. It’s more representative of a modern woman.” Fox’s April also swaps her trademark yellow jumpsuit for a yellow leather jacket and skinny jeans but “I’m completely clothed for the entire movie,” says Fox, noting that may disappoint some fans… and she’s right. “There’s no gratuitous skin or sexual anything. Jonathan was really insistent on not wanting her to be sexualized or to take that sort of typical role we’ve seen women take in movies thus far, and that I’ve taken in particular.” Really? Megan Fox is in your movie… and you don’t want to sexualize her? I don’t think you really have a choice… but don’t expect Fox to trade hot pants for head-to-toe gear from here on out. “I don’t really mind,” says Fox of her trademark pin-up appeal. “It’s actually a large part of my personality. I think you can be that and you can also be intelligent and strong. I don’t think they’re in opposition to one another – at least in my life.” And that life now includes her two sons with Green, 15-month-old Noah and new arrival Bodhi Ransom (UGH!!!!!!!!! STUPID BABY NAME UPDATE!!!). Being a mother, says Fox, definitely influences the types of film she takes on. “I had just had Noah when I started taking meetings to see if this would work out for me,” explains Fox. “How cool is it to have a mom that plays either a superhero or plays the part of this iconic franchise that spans so many generations? I mean, hopefully they’ll both think I’m cool.” With cartoon reboots Transformers and Turtles behind her, Fox says she’s looking forward to future projects. A third cartoon remake of her choice? “Gundam Wing,” responds Fox, adding she’d love to see a Jurassic Park remake in the works. “Pacific Rim was sort of a Gundam Wing situation, but they should do it. What about Thundercats?” Or maybe, she says, Sailor Moon.“That could feasibly be made into a live action movie,” mulls Fox. “I don’t know how many Americans were into that. I was into that, but I don’t know how huge it was here. That’s not actually a bad idea.” Yup… no need for Wonder Woman when it’s more likely that a Thundercats movie will be made, right?



Anyway, hopefully you liked a little dip back into some of my running updates… stay tuned… there may be some more Panda, Bacon, Batman, or Apocalypse updates in the near future… in the meantime, I’m going to try to drink away the memory of Megan Fox & BAG having a child together named Bodhi Ransom Green or whatever… f**kin’ serious? Have a great day everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?