Thursday, January 20, 2011

I'm Here!!!

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

I know, I know… it’s been too long. Let me assure you, I’ve been insanely busy transporting my life from Tahoe to San Francisco. For example, that first weekend, I went down to San Francisco & checked out apartments… about a dozen in total. For those who don’t know, you kind of audition to be a roommate or to get an apartment in the city because, I guess demand’s pretty high and they want to make sure that you’re a good fit. It’s different to me because every other time has been, “Do you have a check that you can write me?” “Yes.” “Congratulations! You’ve been approved!” So then… we played the waiting game.


That Saturday night, Bubbles, myself & her roommate’s friend went to a club called Icon… did some dancing, had a few drinks, good times… then I drove Bubbles home a little early because she started turning pale. Not good. I think it was just the heat of the club because after a little fresh air and sitting, she was just tipsy. We still had fun until that point though.


Sunday was more apartment investigation, then Bubbles & I went on our way to the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl at AT&T Park. Unfortunately just before kickoff, we were having dinner… and Bubbles started having a migraine...so I figured the last place to take her would be a football game with 40,000 screaming fans… so I took her home and we watched some movies instead. Apparently it wasn’t that good of a game anyway.


Instead I watched “Dirty Dancing” for the first time… which is her favorite movie & made her feel better… except for when I threw out a few comments about the movie. What can I say? The soundtrack is great… and chicks seem to love it. Really. I’m pretty sure that it’s the favorite movie of at least one in three women. Go ahead and ask around. Test my theory. It’s basically the equivalent of “Scarface” to men’s favorite movies… and the opposite sex usually just doesn’t “get it” when it comes to the other. Don’t get me wrong, I liked it. There’s dancing, a steamy love story between a young teenager and the older bad boy in tight pants, the annoying older sister, the dad who would do anything for his baby (and by the way, the dad is awesome in that movie… and I think acting perfectly rational throughout), and did I mention the soundtrack was awesome? Is it a favorite of mine now? Hell no… but if it makes the ladies happy, you can’t hate on it.


After that, was the first week at the new job, meeting all the new faces, learning all the new tricks of the trade, getting lost in a maze of offices & back hallways, but through it all the new coworkers & bosses were amazing… and I’m really picking it up quickly. We’ve even already hung out after work a few of the nights at my new favorite bar, Grumpy’s. It’s a nice pub atmosphere place, kind of a locals dive… but the service is great, drinks are affordable, and it’s convenient to my new office so that I can get a quick drink (or two) after a long stressful day. By the way, did I mention that I actually have an office now? Sure it’s a glorified windowless closet in real life… but it is my office… and it has plenty of shelf space for my stuff so it’s not all on my desk in a mess.


Oh… a few days into the work week, that’s when I got the offer for the room that I was hoping for… but there was a catch, the people currently living in it had to get word from the apartment they were looking to move into… but it’s basically the perfect situation for me. It’s the master bedroom (11’ x 13’) with plenty of closet space & my own bath with shower, shared four bedroom, and the other three roommates are all college educated females in their 20’s & not a whole lot more than the clothes on their back. I’m not joking. It’s just about the perfect situation for me, I think. Mostly because I have a lot of sh*t… but also, the roommate situation might be very interesting, you know, living with girls… and being outnumbered. Oh… and oddly enough, it’s less than a block from Bubbles’ apartment. I looked at over a dozen places in the Presidio, about 10 square miles, and the place that calls back with the best offer is a block from my buddy. Like I said… perfect situation for me.


That next weekend, Bubbles & I drove to Tahoe to meet up with my mom, my cousin Alicia & my Tahoe roommate W to pack up my crap, load it into the moving van & then drive it down to San Francisco (still unaware of where it was going to be stored since I was awaiting word on the new apartment’s availability). So why did I do it? It was a GORGEOUS weekend in Tahoe, my mom was going to be there anyway (previous trip planned) & frankly, who knows how the next weekend would be. It worked out for the best though. Everything went smoothly… except for us having a little too much wine maybe… but still good times. Also, the first time that Bubbles met my mom… and she hearts her, of course. What’s not to Love?


The next day, we had breakfast after a late rise (again, wine) and then W helped me load the few heavy items that I had, then it was basically me loading most of the stuff into the van while they cleaned afterwards (because I want my deposit back). It took a while… because I have a lot of stuff… but we got done around sunset & were on the road by 5 PM after a hug goodbye. Bubbles followed behind me in Gretchen… and when the last four moves that I’ve helped with were over 4000 miles combined (three for me & Filly’s), this 200 miles was nothing. We were back to the City by 9 PM and ordering Chinese from Ho’s.


The past few days, I’ve just been waiting to get the word to move into the new apartment (and getting charged $50 a day while waiting) and I’ve only met one of my new roommates… but it’s back to work as usual & exploring the city. I’m really enjoying it… except that I need to get moved in soon. I don’t want to be a burden on Bubbles & her roommates… and they’ve been more than incredible in helping me. I just don’t want to wear out my welcome… and I’ve been sure to give Bubbles her space the past few days. I’m sure she’s pretty much sick of me by now… but hey, I know they understand. We had the discussion when I first showed up that I don’t want to be in their way any more than I have to… and I’m willing to buy dinner, pay rent, etc. but they seem cool with it. Maybe it’s just me being paranoid or something. Why do I care what other people think so much? I should be independent of that by now, right? I pretty much am… but I just keep going to new towns on new adventures… so there’s always new first impressions… and I’d just prefer them to be good ones.


At this point, I would just like to thank everybody who made this all possible… especially Bubbles. Without her, I wouldn’t have known about this job opportunity, wouldn’t have known much about the area from my previous visits, wouldn’t have had a place to crash in the area that I was looking for apartments (and would’ve been MUCH more expensive than it already is), wouldn’t have had someone to show me around the office & introduce me to people, wouldn’t have had as much help moving this past weekend, wouldn’t have had someone to bring Gretchen while I drove the van, wouldn’t have had someone to hang out with after hours & share laughs with while I’m so stressed out, and now you can probably see why she’s sick of me. Like I said, we’ve basically been side to side for nearly two weeks. Anyway, I can never repay you for helping me during this past month… but I’ll certainly try.


Also, my mom, my cousin, my roommate W, all the people at work, everybody out there for supporting me & giving me suggestions & advice, I really do appreciate it… and I’m incredibly excited for the new possibilities that this city has to offer. I’ve already met some fantastic coworkers, someone in the movie industry, a few great bartenders, some of my neighbors while out walking Brutis, & am still finding all the things like… the closest grocery store, delivery places, dry cleaners, hospital, etc. but once I get moved in, it’ll all fall into place like a great puzzle… and I’m curious to see how it turns out. Sure, I miss Tahoe a little bit… but I’m just so excited about my future here… and new experiences… and even the “bad things” about the area like the fog & the rain… really not a big deal to me at all. So yeah… that’s what I’ve been up to in a brief summary. Can’t wait to show you all the pictures… like this one of how much crap I have still…



Have a great day everybody!!!

No comments:

Where Should I Go Next?